Musicals that aren't warhorses

dinakt

Regarding some of the more recent hits, like Dear Evan Hansen and Hamilton, I actually don't think they'd make great programs. With the exception of the two Aaron Burr songs ("Wait For It" and "The Room Where It Happens") and possibly "Satisfied" or "Burn", Hamilton is so rap-heavy, rhythmically complex, and story-centric that it would be hard to skate to.
I dream of Hamilton Long program that would end with "Who lives who dies who tells your story"- think it would make a great finale.
Sondheim is sadly underused- I was thrilled to see skaters using Little Night Music, but it is still underused. "Into the Woods", "Sweeney Todd", "Sunday in the Park with George" would all be great.
Cole Porter is so underused it is silly. Take an Ella Fitzgerald album
of Cole Porter songs and run with it

Last edited:

gkelly

Maybe for a show program, though I'm not aware of any offhand. It wouldn't work without the lyrics, and lyrics have only been legal in singles programs for 3 years, so not much opportunity.

The overture from Gypsy was pretty common below the elite level. As I recall Amber Corwin used it her first(?) year in seniors.

Willin

@Meoima @Weve3 I think warhorses are easy to choreograph by nature, but now that they've been done so many times it's hard to create good choreography that makes sense. (If only because it seems like all the choreography that makes any sense for the warhorses has already been done)

I would say Zhiganshin/Gazsi for Sweeney Todd just because they're good at different programs, but they're unfortunately retired. Too many teams these days go for the pretty romantic look. It would be good for the Shibs because they inherently cannot do romantic pieces as siblings, but funny isn't their style. Personally, I'd find it hilarious to see Papadakis/Cizeron or Virtue/Moir do Sweeney Todd just because it's such a 180 from the styles they've become known for (and they're great skaters).

gkelly

If particular songs from a musical, or the overture with whatever tunes it contains, have been overused in skating, and then someone makes a program to a different song to the same musical that has never/rarely been used before . . . is it still a warhorse?

chapis

If particular songs from a musical, or the overture with whatever tunes it contains, have been overused in skating, and then someone makes a program to a different song to the same musical that has never/rarely been used before . . . is it still a warhorse?

I do not think so

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information