Music You Hate in Skating

viennese

wrecked
  • Michael Middle Initial Smith/"Jesus Is My Boyfriend"
    "To Build a Home"
  • Emo music that encourages a skater to stroke around looking angsty
  • Whispery voiced/droning baby voiced girl singer covering familiar songs like you hear in movie trailers. Deadly.

puglover

I must be fortunate. I like it all - except for Blues for Klook - and I don't hate that. My music tastes have grown tremendously through my love of figure skating. I just was never exposed to the variety of music before that I now recognize, know and enjoy.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
The k.d. lang version of Hallelujah. I love the song but I can’t stand her overwrought wailing.
Thank you, I thought I was the only one who loathes the k.d lang verision of Hallejulah.

My list:
Carmen
Tango de Roxanne (Actually anything from Moulin Rouge, those songs live rent free in my head because of skating, and I want to evict them).
Bubble
Any of the various Contemporary Christian songs that some skaters use.
Je Suis Malade

sadya

My poor mind remembers Scheherazade (and whatever spelling you might use for it), I've never liked any program skated to it and barely tolerated the Curry exhibition to it.

Any version of Nothing else matters, I used to like the original one. Every time Mtv aired it (yes, I'm so old I remember the days when Mtv actually aired music! most of the day you actually had music on Mtv! And Mtv News, Mtv Greatest Hits, etc), I stopped everything I did to listen to that song. Now I hate both the original and the covers.

Romeo and Juliet, all of them, no matter which movie or ballet, by now I can't stand any R & J program. If well done, I'll still watch a R & J program, but I'm tired of all of it.

You might think skating doesn't bring me joy anymore with so much annoying and terrible music being used or the excessive use of certain music making me hate it now, but it still does. :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
There's quite a bit of music that people hate in skating that's not often used in skating ;) or maybe I'm (not) missing out on stuff?

The emo covers need to stop.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
  • The heinous cover of "The Show Must Go On" from Moulin Rouge. When the heartbreakingly perfect original exists in all its tragedy and glory...why would you?
  • "Papa Can You Hear Me". Everything about that song is just nails down a blackboard for me, not to mention how weirdly creepy it sounds.
  • I hated "Give Me Love", which is the ultimate in Whiny Boy Ballad, and only tolerated it because Josh could skate to it so beautifully.
  • The breathy, over-dramatic or emo covers that are infecting EVERYTHING. If I hear that dreary emo cover of "Seven Nation Army" I'm gonna throw something.

LoopCombo

-Tango de Roxanne
-Greatest Showman
-Queen medleys (it was the required element in Russian junior men’s programs last year)
-LaLa Land (unless you’re Han Yan or Marin Honda)
-Charlie Chaplin
-“Versions” of Bolero (I never knew I hated these before this season)

Also, I hate it when people skate to medleys in general. What is with medleys? It’s a 2-4 minute program. Just skate to a whole song.

Lilia A

-Candyman (enough said)
-Bolero - nope, not happening
-Screechy opera pieces - I'm generally fine with a good instrumental version or a well done vocal, but I prefer instrumental
-Moulin Rouge in general, but especially Come What May (no, I will NOT love you until my dying day)
-I was going to say R&J, but I really like the Prokofiev score (and I forgive anyone who uses the "Julieeeeeeet" thingy - it cancels out everything)
-Weird covers in general
-Whatever Sofia Muravieva is using in her FS this season (lovely girl, but please give her better music)
-In Sleeping Beauty, anyone who uses a painfully slow version of the rose adagio (or a really fast one). Maybe I just can't get the ballet choreo out of my head for that one.
-There's more, way more, but I'd definitely go past the character limit on my post.

Kind of off topic, but any piece that is poorly edited or put together.

nuge

Bolero Hallelujah Requiem for a dream POTO The Matrix.

Bolero is T/D everyone else don't bother.
Same withThe Feeling begins that's Pasha's :p

viennese

wrecked
this thread make me wonder:

how hard would it be for a federation to hire a music researcher and a professional mixer to put together a list of interesting options, with temporary music mixes, for skaters to consider? A music researcher and mixer are far better placed to discover or rediscover some forgotten or less-used musical gems. Ballets, soundtracks, pop songs, covers.

Then coaches and skaters could get inspired, choose something off the list, and then get to work on their music and choreography?

It seems like every coach and skater is pulling from the same well of recent, re-used music.

gkelly

My list of hate music is:
Requiem for a Dream
Don Quixote

There are plenty of pieces that I just find boring or annoying but nothing else that both is overused and actively offends my ears.

Bolero (I've never felt it works for a singles program, because the music is one big continuous crescendo to the powerful climax, and singles skaters don't don't save their biggest moves for the last minute of their programs)

But if they did?

In the 1990s I made up a hypothetical backwardly choreographed SP to Bolero for a man who didn't have triple axel. It began with a back-to-front combination spin (quite rare at the time) and ended with a 3Lz+3T.

In theory a woman could do that program now.

Last edited:

pat c

this thread make me wonder:

how hard would it be for a federation to hire a music researcher and a professional mixer to put together a list of interesting options, with temporary music mixes, for skaters to consider? A music researcher and mixer are far better placed to discover or rediscover some forgotten or less-used musical gems. Ballets, soundtracks, pop songs, covers.

Then coaches and skaters could get inspired, choose something off the list, and then get to work on their music and choreography?

It seems like every coach and skater is pulling from the same well of recent, re-used music.

For some skating federations, it would be an unjustifiable expense. There are companies in Canada and the US that are professional mixers and choreo's have their own ideas and find their own music to a degree. I forget which book it was in, but it described the journey to find Michelle Kwan's Dream of Desdemona? program chore'd by L. Nichol. Most choreo's/coaches don't have that amount of time to do it.

The skaters themselves probably choose their own music. Now that they can skate to music with lyrics, I'm thinking that some of them are going, yes I like that, I'll skate to it. ;)

Skating to warhorses? Most of that music is dramatic, it's fun and you can have cool costumes.

VGThuy

I mostly hate music that seems too "clever" or aware of itself (either they want to do a cute take on a song or an overly angsty one where they found new "hidden" depths to a pop song). That's probably why I can't stand most covers that skaters use. They all sound like they came from YouTube and were done to gain views and to go viral for their novelty.

irenemulindwairen

Here's my list, so let's spread the hate:

• "Feeling Good" makes me lose all the will to live and to actually feel good.
  • "Rooooxaaaaaaaanne" in all its versions + the rest of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack.
  • "Blues for Klook"
  • All the emo covers of decent songs out there
  • Every single ABBA/Beatles/Stones/Michael Jackson/Amy Winehouse cover apart from the "Across the Universe"-movie one of "Let it Be"
  • The horrible "Carmen" version that was brought to us by Gabrielle Daleman and Kanako Murakami before that
  • Coldplay must be destroyed
  • The same goes for Muse
  • "Time to say Goodbye"
  • "The Greatest Showman"...I've reeeeeaaaaallly haaaaaaaad enoooooouuuuuuuuugh!
  • "Les Misérables" succeeds in making me feel miserable every single time.
  • "Aranjuez" in all its versions. Thank God we haven't heard it in a longer time.

I might come up with more, but these I really loathe with a passion.
Jesus Christ Superstar

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information