Most epic Google translate fails of skaters' names

anonymoose_au

Bing Tranlator (Microsoft Translater) used to convert "Plushenko Senshu" in Japanese into "Quad Jumps" in English. :D A few years later it was updated and just says "Quad."
https://twitter.com/tmidorin/status/817883838231629824
Seems legit to be honest 😂

Not a skater but for some reason Shoma Uno's brother's first name becomes Tree and that's usually how he's referred to.

I'm always amused by how jumps become "him" when translating from Russia. "I wanted to do a triple axel, but I keep missing him." It's rather endearing. 😁

bardtoob

Just found a posting from Russian Junior Nats where Mikhail Kolyada was named "Michael Carol" ("kolyadat" means carolling in Russian)
:sekret: An Amerikan trainer of mercenaries and a dancer from the Kalifornian beach film Sausage Kolyada plot to force the skater of comrade professor Mishin to desert.

Американский тренер наемников и танцовщица из калифорнийского пляжного фильма Колбаса Коляда замышляют заставить конькобежца товарища-профессора Мишина дезертировать.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I keep on seeing references to "ribs" and "jambs" in google translated articles about Russian skating. I'm pretty sure that ribs are "edges" like deep edges when people skate, but I can't figure out what jambs are. I think some kind of mistake or instability? Does anyone know? Sorry this isn't a very funny post, I'm just curious.
Could it be jumps? Or turns?

Rina RUS

Could it be jumps? Or turns?

No. :)
It is just a word which has absolutely different meanings.
For example, in English the word “bank” can mean a banking-house, but it can also mean a riverside.
So google translate meets a word which has absolutely different meanings in Russian and isn’t able to choose the right translation.

I can't figure out what jambs are. I think some kind of mistake or instability?

Yes, you see “jambs” instead of “mistakes”.

Rina RUS

“Pair skaters” can turn into “hothouses” (“glass-houses”), when it translates from Russian. :)

The only difference between two words is the stress. When the stress is on the first syllable, the word “parnik” means “a pair skater” (or “a pair dancer”). When the stress is on the second syllable, the word “parnik” means “a hothouse”. So google translate doesn’t see any difference. :)

Rina RUS

:) The word “fan” is a word with absolutely different meanings in English. So when google translate has to translate from English to other languages, skating “fans” can be turned into “ventilators” (blowing machines). We’ve seen such cases. Stay safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information