Most epic Google translate fails of skaters' names

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
After Petr Gumennik became "Petr Bohnengans" recently, I couldn't help but think of all the funny Google translate fails of quite a few skaters' names.
Especially Russian Nationals or other Russian competitions have always been a treasure in that sense.

I can come up spontaneously with:
  • Gordi Pots (Gordei Gorshkov)
  • Basil the Great (Vasily Velikov)
  • Egor Will Close (Egor Zakroev)
  • Andrew MP (Andrei Deputat)
  • Lil' Wayne Kayumova (Alsu Kayumova) :rofl:
  • Petr Bohnengans (Petr Gumennik)
  • Mark Chess (Mark Shakhmatov)
  • Maxim rump (Maxim Kurdyukov)

Do you have more? I remember Japanese and Chinese names also were butchered by Google translate, let's collect all of them to have a good laugh (we all need it these days).

Last edited:

mjb52

Gummenik has been translated as Bean Goose before, which I absolutely love.

I also like the way pairs are rendered as greenhouses in translations from Russian to English. Toe loop to sheepskin coat is a classic of course.

Mozgov is Brains and I think Svinin/Zhuk come out a bit funny when translated literally but I don't remember the exact details. Zhenya comes out as Wife I think, which is funny when they do it for Plushchenko.

mjb52

Ah, that's right. I think it's their always being mentioned together that makes it a little cuter than if it was in isolation. Swine and Beetle.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Wow, I'm on a roll today. Ignore again.

Last edited:

Amy L

Why does the (I think) Russian Nationals keep translating to the Czech or Chechen Republic? It's the most fascinating one to me.

The Nationals are the in the city of Chelyabinsk, so somehow whatever combination of spelling or grammar makes the translation software think of something else.

A lot of Russian names come from animals or physical descriptions, so that's why we get funny machine translations. The names already started out kind of funny. They literally mean hunchback (Gorbachev), fiery-haired (Volosozhar), or ugly (Nekrasov).

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Some Japanese ones--
Satoko Miyahara = original intellectual child
Rika Hongo = this township management
Miyu Nakashio = Medium salt beauty

At some point I also found these, but I don't remember all the original names these came from except for Hanyu: "No good Takashi people, Hanyu binding chord, Miya field-sized areas, Forest clothing blow, and West field friend cones"

Google translate works a lot better now, (un)fortunately.

Some of the most epic names in figure skating, IMO, work all on their own: Hole and Johnson, Fear and Payne, Brittney Bottoms, and so many judge names I don't even know where to start (maybe Taffy Holliday?).

midori

Bing Tranlator (Microsoft Translater) used to convert "Plushenko Senshu" in Japanese into "Quad Jumps" in English. :D A few years later it was updated and just says "Quad."

# "Senshu" is a honorific for atheletes in Japanese, and this is the common expression used by newspapers and magazines.

It also used to insist "Boyang Senshu" in Japanese is "WTF yo player" in English. :rofl: It was around the time he started showing off his numerous quads.

Now both got fixed and I have to say I am rather disappointed. :p

GoneWithTheWind

I was browsing the Italian Federation's website as nationals is coming up and Google Translate kicked in with some fun translations...

Matteo He Healed (Matteo Guarise)
Mattia From The Tower (Mattia Dalla Torre)
Marco Blacksmiths (Marco Fabbri)
Veronica Broad Bean (Veronica Fava)
Francis Shore (Francesco Riva)

mjb52

I keep on seeing references to "ribs" and "jambs" in google translated articles about Russian skating. I'm pretty sure that ribs are "edges" like deep edges when people skate, but I can't figure out what jambs are. I think some kind of mistake or instability? Does anyone know? Sorry this isn't a very funny post, I'm just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information