Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

clairecloutier

I also believe that if it is in Montreal that it is at Place Bell in Laval. For Skate Canada to choose this as their nominee there has to be some serious city and provincial grant money attached, as well as federal. www.placebell.ca

The capacity of the rink for hockey is about 9400. Once they configure for figure skating for judges and press and kiss and cry it will be down to probably what London was, 6990. It will be a beautiful set up with practice rink on site and attached event space. Hotels will have to be downtown for ISU and skating family, there is nothing in Laval that is suitable. ISU likes one hotel with everyone together.

If you are right, this doesn't thrill me. Because it will likely lead to prices being extremely high, as in London. :( While that may be good for organizers, it's not so great for fans.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't know when they started selling tickets, but in 2012, the Canadian dollar was around par with the US dollar, which is not true now. Of course that could change by the time they start selling tickets for 2020 Worlds, relevant if Montreal is chosen.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I think London price gouged us because of the limited number of hotels. In Montreal there are many more options so I'm hoping lodging won't be as pricey as it was in London ($400 for a Residence Inn was just insane).

quartz

scratching at the light
I actually like public transportation as I only ever get to use it when I go to a big city. Someone just needs to point me in the right direction.

ChiquitaBanana

I want downtown mtl...Laval is not on the island.
There are no arenas with a 7,000 seating capacity downtown, except the Bell Center, which is too big/too busy. They have hosted JGP and short track world cup events at Maurice-Richard, but the arena is no appealing...

jersey1302

UGH. I was really hoping it wouldn't be in the southern ontario/ quebec region. Although Montreal has not hosted it since 1932..nice to see a city getting it that hasn't hosted it since a majority of us have been alive.

googooeyes

Laval and Montreal are actually separate cities, even though they are side by side. Wouldn't Skate Canada say that Laval had won the bid for Worlds if it was going to be in Laval? I feel that because Skate Canada specifically said Montreal, it will likely be in Montreal proper.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
O.M.G. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Best belated birthday present!!!

ETA - the commuter train I take downtown to school/work literally drops me off at the Bell Centre. You'll have tons of hotel choices and I can already picture an FSU meet-up at Baton Rouge (https://www.batonrouge.ca/en/) next door. :) Laval would've still been okay but this is way way better!

Last edited:

barbarafan

O.M.G. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Best belated birthday present!!!

ETA - the commuter train I take downtown to school/work literally drops me off at the Bell Centre. You'll have tons of hotel choices and I can already picture an FSU meet-up at Baton Rouge (https://www.batonrouge.ca/en/) next door. :) Laval would've still been okay but this is way way better!
Baton Rouge....best ribs ever..so many choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information