Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This was my first time to buy tickets to Worlds. If they do not do the right thing, it would be very hard to ever consider trying to attend in the future.
Every Worlds is run by a different group so just because one LOC/Ticketing agency is saying "no refunds," that doesn't mean any of them who run Worlds in the future would say that.

manhn

Every Worlds is run by a different group so just because one LOC/Ticketing agency is saying "no refunds," that doesn't mean any of them who run Worlds in the future would say that.

Most people can't go to a Worlds anywhere in the globe. They usually attend one that's relatively close to their home (and theoretically more affordable). As a Canadian, I would be hardpressed to buy tickets to another Canadian Worlds if they don't offer refunds in this instance.

skategal

Bunny mama
Well good luck selling any tickets to Worlds in the future if this one isn't refunded due to no spectators rule or cancellation or if there isn't a refund/cancellation policy in place in the future specific to disease outbreaks.

smurfy

In the past when I bought a ticket online for some event I can not remember - an option for buying insurance for the ticket popped up before paying. Given everything being cancelled and postponed recently - I can see insurance companies and others will step up to offer insurance products. How much they will cost is unknown?
There is an insurance product for jewelers that 'state buy a diamond and if it snows on New Years Eve - it is free'.

ostile17

I'm sorry, but I never heard of a cancelled event that hasn't benn refunded!!

Anyway, it seems a press conference will be held in Quebec at 15:00 EST

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm sorry, but I never heard of a cancelled event that hasn't benn refunded!!
Their publish policy is clear that it will be. It's just the monkeys in customer support who are muddying the waters. ;)

Unless Worlds is held in Montreal again and it's the exact same company running things and they ignore their published policy and don't give refunds, I would buy tickets to Worlds again.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
It's the same story as has been posted elsewhere - it only applies to those who are accredited and there is nothing specific to spectators. Will they have some sort of temperature/health check for us??

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Will them have some sort of temperature/health check for us??
That's what I understand they did for 4C's, although the crowd was substantially smaller.

They could use the temperature guns that they use in our local blood bank to take the temperature readings. They get the reading within a couple of seconds.

Sonata

I have so many questions. A fever seems too late of a symptom to me. What's acute respiratory symptoms? Does someone having the sniffles count? If Yuzuru Hanyu has trouble breathing due to his asthma, will they screen him out?

Do they have the resources to screen 21,000 spectators? Are they really going to block someone who has travelled all the way from Japan, South Korea or China and gotten through airport screening? (I suspect a huge portion of the spectators are from those countries, given how popular figure skating is there.) And if so, is public health going to be sitting at the venue ready to test spectators? Are they going to tell all the tourists who get blocked at the venue from attending to self-quarantine?

There's lots of questions here and no easy or clear answers.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
I have so many questions. A fever seems too late of a symptom to me. What's acute respiratory symptoms? Does someone having the sniffles count? If Yuzuru Hanyu has trouble breathing due to his asthma, will they screen him out?

Do they have the resources to screen 21,000 spectators? Are they really going to block someone who has travelled all the way from Japan, South Korea or China and gotten through airport screening? (I suspect a huge portion of the spectators are from those countries, given how popular figure skating is there.) And if so, is public health going to be sitting at the venue ready to test spectators? Are they going to tell all the tourists who get blocked at the venue from attending to self-quarantine?

Fever is very often the first symptom.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

skatingguy

decently

There is no indication that public health, the organizers, or the ISU are going to be screening spectators at the venue. People will be screened at the airports, but really it comes down to people reporting the development of symptoms when it happens.

greenapple

Canada has announced new COVID-19 Guidelines. At this time, the government is not ordering any entity to cancel events.

"Canada, meanwhile, has seen very limited domestic transmission of the virus, and event planners say it’s largely business as usual until that changes. Still, concert promoters, major sports leagues and festival organizers say they are watching carefully to decide whether they should bring crowds of people together to share the same space.

The newly released federal guidelines urge organizers to assess risk, highlighting factors like the ages of the attendees, given the virus hits older populations hardest, and whether they are likely to be arriving from regions that have been impacted by COVID-19."

BittyBug

Disgusted
The newly released federal guidelines urge organizers to assess risk, highlighting factors like the ages of the attendees, given the virus hits older populations hardest, and whether they are likely to be arriving from regions that have been impacted by COVID-19."
Yes and yes, and yet the ISU appears to be planning to proceed with the event.🤷🏻‍♀️

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I'm sure Russia could host again, also with crowds, if Putin wanted it to happen. Russian crowds might be able to sell out a venue, even if visitor visas weren't granted for international fans.
Right now the events with more than 5K participants are banned in Russia. There are talks about cancelling the Navka show with the champions on 29/3.
It really belongs to PI, but seems Putin started a new shitshow that would bring people to the streets. Hence a very convenient and time appropriate ban for gatherings in more than 5K.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I really wish they would ban the throwing of stuff on the ice using this virus As the reason . The Pooh people need to go.

They could set up a little collection spots for those of you who think that you have to do this.
They did this at 4CC and moreover, a lot of fans opted not to attend to protect their favorite skater. Stuffies were banned at Japanese nationals so I think people understand and won't drag their toys into the arena if told not to do so.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Jr. Worlds were just held successfully in Tallinn, if you mean allowing in crowds. I'm sure Russia could host again, also with crowds, if Putin wanted it to happen. Russian crowds might be able to sell out a venue, even if visitor visas weren't granted for international fans.
It's not about absolute risk: it's about what governmental authorities decide for their areas.

Why anyone believes Russia's reportes COVID 19 numbers is beyond me. I fell of my chair when I saw it at 7 a couple days ago.

I personally wouldn't want to send skaters there, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information