Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Did a booking reference number and a copy of the ticket show up on your computer screen?
Nothing. Their website threw an error just where I’d expect the reference number to appear. But the seats I picked are showing as taken. If no one from AC gets back to me this week, I’ll just let AmEx sort it.

You know you’ve got issues when the president of AC records the message that “due to our new rez system, we’re getting so many calls that we won’t even give you the option of waiting on hold.”

skategal

Bunny mama
Nothing. Their website threw an error just where I’d expect the reference number to appear. But the seats I picked are showing as taken. If no one from AC gets back to me this week, I’ll just let AmEx sort it.

You know you’ve got issues when the president of AC records the message that “due to our new rez system, we’re getting so many calls that we won’t even give you the option of waiting on hold.”

oh geez that sucks.

Hopefully you will get an email confirmation overnight.

They usually send an email but it can take awhile to show up.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Some tickets in the 300 level are now being made available for March 20 & 21 at Worlds - I got an e-mail announcement today:

Skate Canada has exciting news for our figure skating fans for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020! Due to an increased demand in tickets for Friday, March 20 and Saturday, March 21, Skate Canada will be releasing a selection of seats in the Upper 300 Level. These tickets, referred to as P6 on the venue map, will be priced at $96 ($80 ticket + $16 venue fee) and will be available starting on Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 10 am ET at www.montreal2020.com and www.evenko.ca.

These Upper Level 300 (P6) tickets will be released in blocks starting at centre ice. Based on demand, if needed, Skate Canada will continue to make more Upper 300 Level seats available to the public. This offer is subject to availability and limited quantities are available for purchase.

Aceon6

oh geez that sucks.

Hopefully you will get an email confirmation overnight.

They usually send an email but it can take awhile to show up.
Progress, I guess. The AmEx website shows the charges as having a ticket number and the travel insurance company processed it correctly. Still haven't been able to get through to AC. I may just have to make a trip to the airport to get this resolved.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
From @victorskid's post above:
Due to an increased demand in tickets for Friday, March 20 and Saturday, March 21, Skate Canada will be releasing a selection of seats in the Upper 300 Level. These tickets, referred to as P6 on the venue map, will be priced at $96 ($80 ticket + $16 venue fee)

I know the economics of concerts and sports events are different, but when I saw this price, all I could think was that this summer, I paid only slightly more $$ to sit in a lower level of an arena to see Paul freakin' McCartney.

I really think the ISU has to take a hard look at the costs of its events and its ticket pricing. It's a competitive market for tickets to events and shows, and it doesn't help to build an audience for skating when the ticket prices look out of sync with what other arena events are charging.

skategal

Bunny mama
Progress, I guess. The AmEx website shows the charges as having a ticket number and the travel insurance company processed it correctly. Still haven't been able to get through to AC. I may just have to make a trip to the airport to get this resolved.

That's some progress anyway. But still a pain getting it resolved. Hope you can get it worked out soon.

skatingguy

decently
From @victorskid's post above:

I know the economics of concerts and sports events are different, but when I saw this price, all I could think was that this summer, I paid only slightly more $$ to sit in a lower level of an arena to see Paul freakin' McCartney.

I really think the ISU has to take a hard look at the costs of its events and its ticket pricing. It's a competitive market for tickets to events and shows, and it doesn't help to build an audience for skating when the ticket prices look out of sync with what other arena events are charging.
I don't think it's the ISU, as we've seen much cheaper tickets for events in Europe, and Worlds in Boston were also cheaper. I think it's the cost of venues in Canada. Tickets for London 2013 were $1200, and Montreal is twice as much which isn't surprising given that the London venue is an OHL arena, and Montreal is an NHL arena. Skate Canada must have felt they needed the larger venue for worlds this year given the impact of the Fanyu's, and so went with the larger NHL arena.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't think it's the ISU, as we've seen much cheaper tickets for events in Europe, and Worlds in Boston were also cheaper. I think it's the cost of venues in Canada. Tickets for London 2013 were $1200, and Montreal is twice as much which isn't surprising given that the London venue is an OHL arena, and Montreal is an NHL arena. Skate Canada must have felt they needed the larger venue for worlds this year given the impact of the Fanyu's, and so went with the larger NHL arena.

Agreed, but I would assume that as it's an ISU event, the ISU has some say over the ticket pricing - especially as IIRC it gets a cut of the revenues from the event. The ISU also incurs expenses (e.g. travel/hotels for $peedy and his friends) which may also have to be covered by the event revenues, directly or indirectly.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Agreed, but I would assume that as it's an ISU event, the ISU has some say over the ticket pricing - especially as IIRC it gets a cut of the revenues from the event. The ISU also incurs expenses (e.g. travel/hotels for $peedy and his friends) which may also have to be covered by the event revenues, directly or indirectly.
The host fed, not the ISU, controls ticket pricing, but yes, the event is on the hook for covering ISU expenses, which include all expenses for ISU officials (airfaire, local ground transportation, lodging, meals and a per diem), plus a set number of tickets for ISU guests (not a direct expense, but a lost revenue opportunity). Other expenses that are the responsibility of the host fed include hospitality (meals) and local transportation to and from the event for athletes, everything related to the arena (including setting up the K&C, security, medical staff, flowers, etc.), and providing the host broadcast feed, which can be a significant expense. There's also marketing, cost of volunteers and sweepers (branded gear, meals, transportation, etc.), cost of the practice rink if separate, Zamboni, and other items such as legal and accounting. It is a multi-million $ event.

AFAIK, the ISU does not receive any direct payments from the host fed, but they do receive money from event sponsors.

manhn

I thought tickets were selling well?

I never understand these things. Last year’s GPF was affordable. Canadians and Skate Canada tend to be affordable. Not sure why Worlds tend to be expensive.

Worlds in Boston were affordable but their US Nats are not. No rhyme or reason.

Debbie S

Worlds in Boston were affordable but their US Nats are not. No rhyme or reason.
Tickets for Boston Worlds were much higher than comparable seats at Nats. IIRC, the premium seats - 1st 2 rows - were about $2000. Most of the lower bowl, along the center/long axis, was $1300. The sections in the corners were $700. Last year at Nats, the non-premium lower bowl seats were $575 and this year they are either $555 or $420.

manhn

I paid 300 CDN for Boston Worlds. Not sure the truly cheap seats are open for Nats.

Debbie S

I paid 300 CDN for Boston Worlds. Not sure the truly cheap seats are open for Nats.
This year, the cheapest seats at Nats are $295. Looks like club and 2nd/upper level in the first 5 or 6 rows. I paid $400 for my 21st row seat in the lower bowl, near the center, in Kansas City 3 years ago.

Erin

Banned Member
All the tickets at level 6 for both days were sold out within 30 minutes :(

The email I got said that more tickets would be released depending on demand. Given that the demand is there, it sounds like more will be released in the future.

Aceon6

The email I got said that more tickets would be released depending on demand. Given that the demand is there, it sounds like more will be released in the future.
I don't understand why they didn't make the better level 3 seats available from the start. You'd think that someone would be able to figure these things out.

Aceon6

BTW, has anyone heard about the ticket distribution dates? The original confirmation said “late fall”. Or was that just a play on the Canadian seasons... almost winter, winter, still winter, road construction?

Sonata

Thank you! (And thank you to all others who replied.) I see the bus station/stop on Google Maps and see it does say 747-E. The Marriott I’m staying at is the Chateau Champlain so an easy walk. I think this will be much easier than changing to the Metro.

You're welcome. Note that you can go into the mall from the stop and then walk towards Bonaventure metro. You end up where you would have ended up anyways if you'd taken the metro.

It can be a little overwhelming if you don't know where you're going because you have to walk through multiple buildings. But the plus side is that it's all underground and away from the cold. Walk through Place Ville Marie mall, through the Via train station, then go down some more hallways towards Bonaventure metro. There's lots of people around to ask (as long as you're not arriving after stores close).

npavel

I have asked about tickets and got an answer:
Tickets have not yet been released for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020. They will be released to fans by January 31, 2020 and will be delivered by the delivery type selected during the ticket purchase process (electronic ticket or standard mail).

Debrah

Even though I live just outside of MTL, given our weather and traffic, I booked into the hotel Bonaventure for 6 nights. I will be walking (or in my case, likely limping slowly,) from the hotel to & from rink INSIDE via the underground city.

kimkom

Even though I live just outside of MTL, given our weather and traffic, I booked into the hotel Bonaventure for 6 nights. I will be walking (or in my case, likely limping slowly,) from the hotel to & from rink INSIDE via the underground city.

That’s where we’re staying as well. I like the option of walking inside since you never know what kind of weather March will bring in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information