Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD

Excerpt:
Rochette will be combining her ambassador duties with her busy schedule as a medical student at McGill.
“It was interesting transition going from being very active to sitting long hours in a classroom, but I’m really loving it,” said Rochette. “It was always a dream of mine to go back to school and study medicine. I’m in the hospital now, doing my internship. It’s fun to see patients. Its a different life, but at the end of the day I get the same kind of reward as I did when I was skating.”

Last edited:

swissskate

Guys, I was just wondering: have you already received your tickets for Worlds?
I bought mines back in May and on the order confirmation it was mentioned that they would be sent by mid-autumn but I haven't received anything yet...

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Missed the Air Canada sale. :(
I’m not worried about ticket delivery. Heck, they can email them on the 15th and it’ll be fine.

AnnM

I need wardrobe help, as I live in a climate where 65 degrees is considered wintry weather. I suspect my version of a winter wardrobe isn't going to cut it in Montreal. There are a ton of sales starting now, so I figure I should start picking up some stuff.

What are the essential winter clothing items that a person would need? I don't want to buy a ton of things as I won't really need them afterwards. I'll be there 8 days and plan to be out sightseeing for at least 3 full days.

chantilly

I need wardrobe help, as I live in a climate where 65 degrees is considered wintry weather. I suspect my version of a winter wardrobe isn't going to cut it in Montreal. There are a ton of sales starting now, so I figure I should start picking up some stuff.

What are the essential winter clothing items that a person would need? I don't want to buy a ton of things as I won't really need them afterwards. I'll be there 8 days and plan to be out sightseeing for at least 3 full days.
You really need warm mitts, not gloves, a toque and a scarf. I would also recommend a warm pair of socks and boots. You will need a warm coat as well. Dress in layers. a warm seater and a warm hoodie under your coat will do.

You should be able to get a lot of this stuff at a thrift store perhaps. Walmart will have cheap stuff too. It also depends on how much you expect to be walking around Montreal. But March can also be spring like temperatures. You shouldn't be dealing with -25 etc by that point, but you could be.

But in general, the water helps to regulate the temperature in Montreal. If I were you, I'd look up weather patterns in Montreal in general.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I highly recommend buying a base layer. It's very versatile and lasts forever. There are some new materials out there that make them very thin too. I have some from Uniqlo. I sometimes wear them as PJs and sometimes wear the top alone. (They are good for camping, skiing and visiting cold places so I do wear them at least once a year.)

Second, gloves/mittens and a warm hat (that covers the ears) are a must! If you bundle up everywhere but forget your head and hands, you will still be cold. (Lots of people in CA make this mistake. I see them in jackets blowing on their bare hands and complaining that they are still cold even though they are wearing a jacket. :duh:)

Third, warm socks. Like made of wool or labeled thermal. These should also last forever and you can even wear them in less cold weather with flimsier shoes.

A good thermal jacket is useful even here in NorCal. I wear my ski jacket (again made with modern materials so not very bulky) a couple of times a year here, especially during the rainy season.

Other than that, just dress in layers. Instead of buying a lot of warm street clothes, wear the base layer under your regular pants and shirts with the thermal socks, sturdy shoes and the thermal jacket with gloves/mittens and a hat (and maybe a scarf if your neck tends to get cold) and you should be fine, at least from the temps posted here. That worked for me pretty much everywhere cold I've been except NYC in Dec where I also had to put on warm-up pants and a sweater because it was in the 30s! But Montreal shouldn't be that cold.

Catherine M

I live in Louisiana but have been to many Canadian nationals in January over the years--coldest was Halifax in 2007 so I've learned some tricks to stay warm.

As mentioned above a good hat is a must. I have my "canadian" hat that I bought in Kingston, ON that I now bring to all skating events. And layers are your friend too. If you don't want to spend lots of money, bring a few pair of tights and wear them under jeans/pants as that gives you another layer, especially if you are going to be sightseeing outside and not inside the arena. And yes, warm socks and boots are another must. At skate Canada in Laval last year, I stocked up on some nice socks when I realized those that I brought with me weren't going to work.

quartz

scratching at the light
I don't even own a winter hat and my winter coat is an unlined suede that I don't even button up. None of my boots are snow boots and I have never owned thermal underwear in my life. Between hot flashes and a 3 inch layer of fat, I'm my own furnace.

Reactions: jkl

skategal

Bunny mama
My advice re clothing is to listen to the Americans on this thread.

We Canadians are somewhat immune to the cold and don’t dress as warmly as you would expect we should.:D

Shorts will be worn by lots of people if it is over 10C. :rofl:

I’m a chilly dog by nature so I may be one of the few Canadians dressed super warmly for this event. :lol:

zigzig

Does anyone have an idea of when single event tickets will go on sale and what the costs might be? Trying to work out some timing/budgeting things. Thank you!

Judy

I don't even own a winter hat and my winter coat is an unlined suede that I don't even button up. None of my boots are snow boots and I have never owned thermal underwear in my life. Between hot flashes and a 3 inch layer of fat, I'm my own furnace.

lol I’m in the same boat but I do wear a decent winter coat and boots. I buy cheap gloves because I lose them and no hat except the hood on my head. I don’t worry about warm socks as my boots are very warm. I usually wear a sweater underneath.

mocha-ice

zigzig

annie720

Seconding the vote for layers. Leggings/tights like these are your friend, especially because you can duck into the washroom at the arena and take them off if you get too warm.

I just spent 3 days in Montreal and FROZE! Of course these were 3 extremely cold days accompanied by snow. People kept wondering why I was cold when I live in Colorado. Colorado cold and Montreal cold are NOTHING alike. 5F degrees in CO is much warmer feeling than 25F degrees in Montreal. My multiple layers, two pairs of pants, hat , wool socks and wool gloves were not enough. If I were to go back, I would definitely bring a warm 3/4 coat with a big hood, warm boots, and warm waterproof gloves.

Japanfan

We Canadians are somewhat immune to the cold and don’t dress as warmly as you would expect we should.:D

Not all Canadians. There is a reason why so many of us from the Prairies and the east migrate to the PNW, even though housing prices are ridiculous. I'll never those frigid winter days on the Prairies where skin would freeze on exposure. I felt like my skin didn't get to touch the outside air in the summer months.

I got a down-filled jacket at a thrift store that was made for sub-zero temps. I was wearing it in October! My only complaint is that it is waist length, and does not have a hood.

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
@AnnM seconding layers but want to stress what a difference waterproof boots with a pair of smartwool socks will make. If your feet are cold, you will be cold no matter how many layers you are wearing. And if your feet get wet, they will be cold and you will be miserable.

skategal

Bunny mama
My fellow Canadians,

Both Air Canada and Westjet have 20% off flights today ONLY for Cyber Monday.

It’s a good time to book your flights for Montreal!

zigzig

Does anyone know if/when they will be selling individual event tickets? I’ve contacted them a few times and keep getting the same form response directing me toward day tickets. When I’ve gone to other Worlds they’ve generally released individual event tickets by now.

Sylvia

TBD
@zigzig, did you ask if individual event tickets will be sold?

ETA that this was posted on Sept. 21:
Just received an email that day pass tickets go on sale next week, with a presale starting on Monday. Tickets will be sold for the DAY, and not for individual events. Practice passes are also being sold for Monday and Tuesday. It looks like everything, including practices, will be assigned seating. I remember that was the case in London 2013 as well, so I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

zigzig

@zigzig, did you ask if individual event tickets will be sold?

Yes, a few times. And they’ve never addressed my question directly as I suspect they are driving everyone to get day tickets. But their response has never indicated whether they will or will not sell event-specific tix.

Debbie S

It seems like this year, they are selling tickets by the day, not the event. I think upthread, someone did receive a communication from them that the LOC will not be selling tix for ind events.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
My fellow Canadians,

Both Air Canada and Westjet have 20% off flights today ONLY for Cyber Monday.

It’s a good time to book your flights for Montreal!
Air Canada’s new reservation system may or may not have accepted my booking. AmEx is showing a charge and the travel insurance went through, but I have no proof from AC. Their phone system hangs up (won’t even put you in queue) and their website email got me a response that it may take up to THREE WEEKS to get back to me. Good thing I used AmEx as their customer service folks actually provide, you know, service.

skategal

Bunny mama
Air Canada’s new reservation system may or may not have accepted my booking. AmEx is showing a charge and the travel insurance went through, but I have no proof from AC. Their phone system hangs up (won’t even put you in queue) and their website email got me a response that it may take up to THREE WEEKS to get back to me. Good thing I used AmEx as their customer service folks actually provide, you know, service.

Did a booking reference number and a copy of the ticket show up on your computer screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information