Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaS

I learn something new everyday. I thought that there would be some good options flying from Manchester, New Hampshire to Montreal as there are tons of Québécois descendants living there. Yes, there are tons of flights, but most take you to Toronto to change planes. The ones that don’t are all Porter, with very low ratings. Back to Logan for me.

It’s an easy drive, but weather can be so iffy that time of year, I’m hesitant.

I have never flown Porter myself, but I know a lot of people who have and they love it.

skatingguy

decently
I was thinking more about between events where there are shorter turn-around times and during ice resurfacing.
Treat yourself to at least 1 good meal! You’ll be in Montreal!!
I agree wtih @MR-FAN , but there's also a McDonald's & a Starbucks across the street from the Bell Centre if anyone needs to get something quick to eat or drink and the arena's vendors aren't open.

jkl

My Montreal Worlds 2020 update......because I know you want to know:)

I got a ticket in the row I wanted but not the section.
I was able to get a hotel at a somewhat decent price and will switch the rate to hotel points soon.
I booked my airfare on American with a $488 round trip fare ....change planes in Philadelphia.
And the final piece to the puzzle. I had to renew my passport and it came today. The US
Dept. of State told me it would take 4-6 weeks and it came 6 weeks to the day.
I look forward to seeing you there!

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
My Montreal Worlds 2020 update......because I know you want to know:)

I got a ticket in the row I wanted but not the section.
I was able to get a hotel at a somewhat decent price and will switch the rate to hotel points soon.
I booked my airfare on American with a $488 round trip fare ....change planes in Philadelphia.
And the final piece to the puzzle. I had to renew my passport and it came today. The US
Dept. of State told me it would take 4-6 weeks and it came 6 weeks to the day.
I look forward to seeing you there!

Wow..I renewed my passport last year and it came back in 2 weeks. I was stunned... and it was even during the week of Christmas!

Anemone

My friend and I got our tickets this week too, and I was able to get where I wanted.
Still have to book a place to stay though.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For those who chose the 3 payment option, you should have gotten a notice about payment #2. If not, check your spam.

skatingguy

decently
I'm in Montreal this week for the Coupe Rogers. If anyone has any questions or anything that they're trying to find information for maybe I can help while I'm here. I imagine that most questions these days can be answered somewhere on the Internet but if anyone thinks of anything let me know.

npavel

I was wondering about a data sim card, do you have any idea how to do, or is there free WIFI in Montreal?

gatorinfl

I'm in Montreal this week for the Coupe Rogers. If anyone has any questions or anything that they're trying to find information for maybe I can help while I'm here. I imagine that most questions these days can be answered somewhere on the Internet but if anyone thinks of anything let me know.

I had to look up Coupe Rogers. I see it is at IGA Stadium a bit away from downtown. So this question may not apply.

But if you are flying into Trudeau Airport, I wondered how you are getting to downtown. Others may know the best way. I’ve looked at taking the 747 bus to the Lionel Groulx Metro Station and then the Metro to Bonaventure (I’m staying at the Marriott) but I wondered if it will be a hassle with luggage (one suitcase and big tote bag). Thanks!

Sonata

I had to look up Coupe Rogers. I see it is at IGA Stadium a bit away from downtown. So this question may not apply.

But if you are flying into Trudeau Airport, I wondered how you are getting to downtown. Others may know the best way. I’ve looked at taking the 747 bus to the Lionel Groulx Metro Station and then the Metro to Bonaventure (I’m staying at the Marriott) but I wondered if it will be a hassle with luggage (one suitcase and big tote bag). Thanks!

The shuttle also makes stops near several hotels, including Rene-Levesque and Mansfield, which I believe is near Marriott Bonaventure.

I’ve taken the shuttle many times, it’s cheap and works well.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
The 747 also goes down Rene-Lesveque - if the sidewalks are sufficiently clear (not a given!) it might be easier to get off and walk to the hotel than take the metro.

That said I’m fairly sure both stations have elevators. I’ll check next time I pass through.

skategal

Bunny mama

That’s what we did last time we went to Montreal for skate Canada and stayed at the Marriott at Bonaventure. We had luggage and had no problem. Everyone on the shuttle bus had luggage and not unusual to see it on the metro. Pretty sure there are elevators as well as our luggage wasn’t small. Lol!

skatingguy

decently
I was wondering about a data sim card, do you have any idea how to do, or is there free WIFI in Montreal?
All the major hotels have free wifi and a lot of other locations do as well. There is also a Best Buy nearby if you wanted to pick up a data sim card for your stay.

skatingguy

decently

Not sure which Marriott you're staying at but as others have said there is a shuttle service to the airport.
Also, the train - Via Rail - comes right downtown, and the central station is between the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth and the Bonaventure. It's within a short walking distance of many of the hotels, and the Hotel Marriott Chateau Champlain is less than 5 minutes away, if that's the Marriott that you're staying at.

gatorinfl

The shuttle also makes stops near several hotels, including Rene-Levesque and Mansfield, which I believe is near Marriott Bonaventure.

I’ve taken the shuttle many times, it’s cheap and works well.

Thank you! (And thank you to all others who replied.) I see the bus station/stop on Google Maps and see it does say 747-E. The Marriott I’m staying at is the Chateau Champlain so an easy walk. I think this will be much easier than changing to the Metro.

Soon I’ll be asking all of you about clothing and shoes. I live in Florida so no winter wardrobe except a few sweaters. (And of course maybe the March weather will be nice.) Even though I’m staying very close to the Bell Centre I’m going to want to get out and explore Old Montreal and other areas. I’m particularly thinking about boots/bootie-type shoes with soles that will do OK on snow, ice or slush. Hope to get these winter things on sale.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Thank you! (And thank you to all others who replied.) I see the bus station/stop on Google Maps and see it does say 747-E. The Marriott I’m staying at is the Chateau Champlain so an easy walk. I think this will be much easier than changing to the Metro.

Soon I’ll be asking all of you about clothing and shoes. I live in Florida so no winter wardrobe except a few sweaters. (And of course maybe the March weather will be nice.) Even though I’m staying very close to the Bell Centre I’m going to want to get out and explore Old Montreal and other areas. I’m particularly thinking about boots/bootie-type shoes with soles that will do OK on snow, ice or slush. Hope to get these winter things on sale.

My sister-in-law, a Montreal native, says boots/booties are essential in March. She claims the Montreal slush puts NYC slush to shame.

I bought a pair of pink overshoes because if I'm going to be tromping through the slush I want to be pretty about it.

peibeck

Simply looking
I planned my return flight to avoid hitting rush hour, and of course, two weeks to the day after I booked my flight... they changed my return flight, so that I land 15 minutes before rush hour starts. :wall:

skatingguy

decently
March is a transition month, and that means prepare for everything. If you're here for a week it's possible that it'll go from winter to spring, and back again during that time. Also, Montreal's downtown has a lot of large buildings that create wind chill, so even a warm spring day can feel cool with the wind between the buildings. I would plan for layers, and then you can add, and take off as the weather dictates. You may not have a great sense of what the weather will be like until right before you leave because that time of year we are waiting for spring to break, and that can be unpredictable.

seabm7

I learn something new everyday. I thought that there would be some good options flying from Manchester, New Hampshire to Montreal as there are tons of Québécois descendants living there. Yes, there are tons of flights, but most take you to Toronto to change planes. The ones that don’t are all Porter, with very low ratings. Back to Logan for me.

It’s an easy drive, but weather can be so iffy that time of year, I’m hesitant.

About 10 years ago, I used Porter from Chicago to Toronto, to watch one of the ice shows in the greater Toronto region. At that time Porter was a brand new company. The flight was a decent experience and I liked their midi-sized in-flight pamphlet.

I checked the airline reviews today. It looks like their customer service lost the initial enthusiasm. :(

Tavi

I would suggest Blondo booties - they’re a great Canadian brand available at Nordstrom, and much more affordable than La Canadienne or Aquitalia. They are waterproof, have rubber soles, look like regular suede or nubuck booties, and come in a variety of colors and heel heights. I bought a pair in black nubuck last winter and found them easy to maintain and super comfortable without much break in.

For outerwear, I’d suggest looking at a longish lightweight packable down jacket with room for layers under. If you live near a North Face outlet, maybe try there. Since some brands are not that warm, make sure you check for fill power, wind and water resistance, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information