Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhn

I find that unless the snow continues, the big cities do a pretty good job of cleaning the streets. I had a short layover in Montreal on my way to Boston Worlds, it was snowing. But I had stopped for a few days in Montreal after attending GPF in Quebec City (December). QC was snowing bunches, but it was sunny and warm in Montreal.

The good thing with big cities holding Worlds is that hotels in March should still be reasonable. I doubt Worlds is a huge event for Montreal, in the grand scheme of things.

Moustaffask8r

I find that unless the snow continues, the big cities do a pretty good job of cleaning the streets. I had a short layover in Montreal on my way to Boston Worlds, it was snowing. But I had stopped for a few days in Montreal after attending GPF in Quebec City (December). QC was snowing bunches, but it was sunny and warm in Montreal.

The good thing with big cities holding Worlds is that hotels in March should still be reasonable. I doubt Worlds is a huge event for Montreal, in the grand scheme of things.
It will be !! if the trend continues Montreal Canadian should be done by march, so not much hapenning this time of the year in Montreal

barbarafan

There are many hotels within walking distance of the arena, plus Montreal has a subway. Winter or not isn't that much of an issue.

You can really get around very well underground.....Good reasonable places to eat everywhere you look.
one of diversity's great points is amazing food and service. Putting your heart and passion in the pot makes great eating.

quartz

scratching at the light
A what? :lol:

(California girl)
My sister lives in LA. She has several winter coats, including fur, scarves, hats, gloves, etc. Once I went to visit her the end of May and it was in the high 60’s/low 70’s. She had all her windows closed, the furnace running and there were flannel sheets and 2 comforters on the bed. As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, “I thought I was gonna DIE!”

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Weather is unknown and uncontrollable. Pack a winter coat, spring jacket, scarf and boots - plan on layering. Done.

So true.

The times I have attended skating events in Canada, Edmonton, 1992 Junior Worlds in Hull, 1994 Nationals and 1996 Worlds in Edmonton, and 2006 Worlds in Calgary, on each occasion the weather was well, well, well below freezing.

VGThuy

When I lived in Louisiana, I had a lot of scarves, gloves, hats, and winter coats. I think I liked the way I looked in them. It wasn't until I moved to New York where I truly understood just how practical and useful scarves, hats, and gloves truly were. It wasn't just fashion. That said, down by the river in New Orleans, it can get bone chillingly cold and gloves and stuff did help me there. I think it's all the moisture.

barbarafan

So true.

The times I have attended skating events in Canada, Edmonton, 1992 Junior Worlds in Hull, 1994 Nationals and 1996 Worlds in Edmonton, and 2006 Worlds in Calgary, on each occasion the weather was well, well, well below freezing.

Wish I could help out here....with climate change..MTL is completely unpredictable. The winter before last was really bad and last winter twice as bad...Weather bureau's cannot keep up to it so the first time a snow storm shows up in the forecast you say NO SHIT because it started 2 hrs ago and up til then the forecast read chance of flurries. We had many days where the temp. dropped to -35 F and then there were days which were above freezing and often rain changing to freezing rain which then dropped to below freezing so there was ice everywhere.This summer a lot of days were over 100F and 80's and 90's most days....Pack for freezing:re layers....wear camisoles or t shirts under tucked in your pants & top with sweaters. Then you can take your coat off in arena and sit on it so your butt is not too sore from hrs in your chairs....Make sure to get up and walk around a bit each time ice is resurfaced to keep your circulation is moving especially if you are over 40 and traveled a ways to get here. ok I will shut up now.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Wish I could help out here....with climate change..MTL is completely unpredictable. The winter before last was really bad and last winter twice as bad...Weather bureau's cannot keep up to it so the first time a snow storm shows up in the forecast you say NO SHIT because it started 2 hrs ago and up til then the forecast read chance of flurries. We had many days where the temp. dropped to -35 F and then there were days which were above freezing and often rain changing to freezing rain which then dropped to below freezing so there was ice everywhere.This summer a lot of days were over 100F and 80's and 90's most days....Pack for freezing:re layers....wear camisoles or t shirts under tucked in your pants & top with sweaters. Then you can take your coat off in arena and sit on it so your butt is not too sore from hrs in your chairs....Make sure to get up and walk around a bit each time ice is resurfaced to keep your circulation is moving especially if you are over 40 and traveled a ways to get here. ok I will shut up now.

I know that when the world junior championships were in Brisbane, the coldest place was the arena. Outside, it was 30 C if not more each day.

ChiquitaBanana

When someone speaks fo spring, I think 'what is really spring is'? When there is a southern wind in March and the temperature gets to 6degrees celcius, I feel like it's a bright sunshiny day and I open my coat. I sometimes freeze as hell at 12 degrees in fall when the winds come from the north. It always depends on what you are used to.

gatorinfl

When do you think tickets will go on sale?

I’m definitely planning to go to Montreal. (I’m from Florida. I’d better start thinking about winter clothes.)

screech

I save my U.S. quarters and throw them in a jar to use for spending money on trips. I easily save $300 or more a year, and I don't even use cash everywhere. Saving your coins for fun is a brilliant idea, I think.
Hey, if you've got US quarters, you've got even more $$ if you bring it to Canada (currently, according to google, $1 US is equal to $1.31 Canadian), so your $300 (I'm impressed!) would currently be worth $394 here!

gatorinfl

Upthread, it was said tickets may go on sale in the spring (March or April, I believe).

Thanks. I just signed up for the Skate Canada mailing list for Worlds.

I also wonder when the nearby hotels will start taking reservations. Maybe I’ll call a few of them.

skategal

Bunny mama

I also wonder when the nearby hotels will start taking reservations. Maybe I’ll call a few of them.

About 11-12 months in advance is the usual for hotel reservations.

Japanfan

Do you have a link for that? I went to the website, and didn't see an option.

But I think I might already be on the list, as I received notifications regarding the GPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information