Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhn

I tried to Google the problems but I couldn't find anything. I tried the actual Gymnastics thread but there were too many posts about, ugh, gymnastics. What were the issues regarding transportation?

ChiquitaBanana

Gymnastics and figure skating governing bodies are two separate entities the last time I checked... :rolleyes:
I am sorry to hear all the complaints about the gymnastics World champs. but as far as I know, lack of practice time shouldn't be a matter of the organizing commitee but I guess the schedules were made FIG (as the schedules are made by the rep tech in skating and it must be approved.) As for the lights, the venue wa ssurely not the best but the FIG knew where they were going to hold the event way before this week.

That is said, ISU is another organization. Transportation shouln't be a problem downtown. And the view as good as it gets, skating being presenting in an ice rink (and not gymnastics being presented in an Olympic stadium/latter baseball stadium)

VGThuy

I tried to Google the problems but I couldn't find anything. I tried the actual Gymnastics thread but there were too many posts about, ugh, gymnastics. What were the issues regarding transportation?

From the Russian team's perspective:

http://eng.gymnovosti.com/rodionenk...cism-towards-the-worlds-organizing-committee/

The reason why the LOC has been bearing a lot of the criticism and not the FIG directly is because:

And when we told everything to the management of the Canadian Gymnastics Federation, they answered that the local executive committee does not follow the federation’s instructions. So, that’s why the organization of this competition invites a lot of criticism and questions.”

Apparently, attendees and those who are in with competitors or those close to competitors (as in team officials or those who traveled with teams) have corroborated these experiences more or less.

Anyway, it doesn't matter really since this has no bearing on Montreal skating worlds. It was just more of a fanciful/non-serious thought than anything just because gym worlds and skating worlds will be in the same city.

barbarafan

Not worried. The Bell Centre is a major arena, close to hotels, and Canada hosts major figure skating events regularly. I would expect a proper event.
It is right downtown so buried in hotels,restaurants & things to see. Everything is connected by Metro & in many places you would not have to be outside to get on it. Most skating events have been in West Island in Pierrefonds who also have hotels/motels close at hand but the rinks have very little capacity. I think the only thing to look at is practice rinks.

RoseRed

It is right downtown so buried in hotels,restaurants & things to see. Everything is connected by Metro & in many places you would not have to be outside to get on it. Most skating events have been in West Island in Pierrefonds who also have hotels/motels close at hand but the rinks have very little capacity. I think the only thing to look at is practice rinks.
That'll be interesting. The official practice rink for the Habs isn't that close (almost 20 km). It's over in Brossard, about a 35 minute drive in current traffic.

Of course the one in Pierrefonds where they had the Quebec Summer Championships is even further (30km, ~50 minute drive).

The public sports complex where V/M, P/C and everyone train has two rinks and is about 5km away (~15 minute drive). There's also another rink connected to the Gadbois sports complex in a different location, which is 3 km from Bell Centre. I don't think the Montreal ice dancers train on that one.

Another close public arena Aréna Camillien-Houde, about 3.7 km away (~15 minute drive), also public. And I found four other public arena 5-6 km away from the Bell Centre, which is about a 20 minute drive with some traffic. So they should definitely have some good options not too far.

barbarafan

That'll be interesting. The official practice rink for the Habs isn't that close (almost 20 km). It's over in Brossard, about a 35 minute drive in current traffic.

Of course the one in Pierrefonds where they had the Quebec Summer Championships is even further (30km, ~50 minute drive).

The public sports complex where V/M, P/C and everyone train has two rinks and is about 5km away (~15 minute drive). There's also another rink connected to the Gadbois sports complex in a different location, which is 3 km from Bell Centre. I don't think the Montreal ice dancers train on that one.

Another close public arena Aréna Camillien-Houde, about 3.7 km away (~15 minute drive), also public. And I found four other public arena 5-6 km away from the Bell Centre, which is about a 20 minute drive with some traffic. So they should definitely have some good options not too far.

Sounds good...Some of those you mentioned are connected by Metro as well.

dramagrrl

I hope they choose a practice rink that is relatively close to the venue. One of the only issues I had with the 2001 Worlds in Vancouver was the distance between the main arena (GM Place, which is right in the middle of downtown Vancouver) and the practice venue (the venue which would eventually host Olympic skating in 2010, which is over 30 minutes away from downtown by public transit and not accessible by Vancouver's limited "subway"/SkyTrain system - you had to take a very long bus ride to get there).

Seerek

The crowd in Montreal the last time it hosted Canadian Nationals (1983) was probably among the most enthusiastic ever for that event.

I thought Quebec City hosting Grand Prix Final in 2011-12 was decent, but could have been better, imo. Hull hosted a Junior Worlds back in 1992 as well.

DDNatalia

Canadian skating crowds have historically been pretty epic. Boston 2016 gave life to US fan presence.
The podium lighting seemed overly harsh for the recent World gymnastics championships though, and IIRC there were some grumblings about how momentary disorientation may have factored in some of the shocking, sad and severe injuries that occurred. Hope they "figure it out" for Worlds, would be horrific to see issues in disciplines like pairs,

VGThuy

Canadian skating crowds have historically been pretty epic. Boston 2016 gave life to US fan presence.
The podium lighting seemed overly harsh for the recent World gymnastics championships though, and IIRC there were some grumblings about how momentary disorientation may have factored in some of the shocking, sad and severe injuries that occurred. Hope they "figure it out" for Worlds, would be horrific to see issues in disciplines like pairs,

It's a different arena and different people, so it should be ok. I think the Montreal Gymnastics Worlds were going for what Glasgow did in 2015, which was a very awesome looking Worlds. They even recreated the nice intros on the big screen that Glasgow had.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Oh - I am in. I just looked up airfare. Not as much as I would have thought. I went to Worlds in LA and it was such a fabulous experience....but IMO going to the competitions is an extreme sport in and of itself.

Seerek

It's a different arena and different people, so it should be ok. I think the Montreal Gymnastics Worlds were going for what Glasgow did in 2015, which was a very awesome looking Worlds. They even recreated the nice intros on the big screen that Glasgow had.

Glasgow had the benefit of hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games before the 2015 World Gymnastics (both at SSE Arena).

The closest thing Montreal had recently was the annual Gymnix club competition at Claude-Robillard.

ChiquitaBanana

Hope they "figure it out" for Worlds, would be horrific to see issues in disciplines like pairs,

Two totally different things... and eh! Canada IS skating and used to hosting events in ice rinks!

As for the practice venue, I’ve heard the Bell Place in Laval.

mocha-ice

I haven't heard anything for sure about the practice rink but the official bid proposal had the Verdun Auditorium listed.

As many people have mentioned there should be no issues getting to the Bell Centre - it is easily accessible by metro, commuter train and bus. As it is in the heart of downtown there is parking around although expect it to be busy during the day and expensive in general. If you take the metro you don't even need to go outside , the Lucien l'Allier station is basically connected to it through a short tunnel.

googooeyes

Skate Canada always puts a competition in the same area the year before a major event like Worlds. It helps the organization and the volunteer base learn the ropes for running a competition in the city. Watch for Skate Canada International or Canadians to go into Montreal next year!

chewy

Verdun Auditorium is a very good choice. It has been renovated, and is steps from a metro station (L'eglise). It is also on-island, whereas the Canadiens practice facilities have either been South Shore or Laval and bridges in Montreal can get backed up. For security to transport skaters it is quite good. Gadbois is stuck in a weird spot and has no metro, it is a mess of busses to get to. Maurice Richard is too far east. Also, I have a ton of relatives who live in the Point/Verdun/Lasalle. :)

I haven't heard anything for sure about the practice rink but the official bid proposal had the Verdun Auditorium listed.

As many people have mentioned there should be no issues getting to the Bell Centre - it is easily accessible by metro, commuter train and bus. As it is in the heart of downtown there is parking around although expect it to be busy during the day and expensive in general. If you take the metro you don't even need to go outside , the Lucien l'Allier station is basically connected to it through a short tunnel.

quartz

scratching at the light
Haven’t counted my change in a while, so I dug out my stash from the closet and dumped out my coin jar on the coffee table - $599.93!!
I don’t really care how much it’s gonna cost - I will be there!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The crowd in Montreal the last time it hosted Canadian Nationals (1983) was probably among the most enthusiastic ever for that event.

I thought Quebec City hosting Grand Prix Final in 2011-12 was decent, but could have been better, imo. Hull hosted a Junior Worlds back in 1992 as well.

Gosh. Those Junior Worlds in Hull were an eternity ago. Even though the event was held at a little suburban area, everyone was amazed by Lu Chen's free skate. She really brought everything to the table after a disaster short program.

Moustaffask8r

Place Bell in Laval would be a place for practice I guess...

peibeck

Simply looking
Haven’t counted my change in a while, so I dug out my stash from the closet and dumped out my coin jar on the coffee table - $599.93!!
I don’t really care how much it’s gonna cost - I will be there!

:cheer2: Sadly the prices are always cray-cray when they are in North America though. :mad:

I bought a used 2016 Fodor's Guide at Half Price Books for $6 to start planning though. :shuffle: I'm think of converting some US $ into Canadian while the dollar remains strong too.

quartz

scratching at the light
:cheer2: Sadly the prices are always cray-cray when they are in North America though. :mad:

I bought a used 2016 Fodor's Guide at Half Price Books for $6 to start planning though. :shuffle: I'm think of converting some US $ into Canadian while the dollar remains strong too.
You should - its a great deal for you American peoples!

sk9tingfan

Thx. Is that Canadian or US? I would also think that there might be some increase for inflation, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information