Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

bardtoob

Still no news about Mirai's current status? With the relatively weak field of US ladies (if not weakest in these years), it looks this season can be a good chance for her to win another national title. :shuffle:

She posted a short instagram clip of her doing stationary bike conditioning (from the perspective of the rider with her keys on an Olympian lanyard hanging from the handle bars) today with the title "Action over Excuses".

I think it is train and school only right now, then show up to Nationals in January. Who knows how she will do, but I don't mind her prioritizing her business degree. If she does Nationals, then I would hope she would do some kind of Senior B competition in December to remind herself how to compete.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
She posted a short instagram clip of her doing stationary bike conditioning (from the perspective of the rider with her keys on an Olympian lanyard hanging from the handle bars) today with the title "Action over Excuses".

I think it is train and school only right now, then show up to Nationals in January. Who knows how she will do, but I don't mind her prioritizing her business degree.
hmmmm... so true.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I was under the impression that Mirai was taking this season off. I guess she is training and may show up at the nationals. I want her to compete there only if she feels ready, mentally and physically.

Sylvia

TBD
Still no news about Mirai's current status?
I was under the impression that Mirai was taking this season off.
All that is known at this time is that she has an automatic bye to 2019 Nationals based on her 2nd place finish in San Jose last year. I don't believe she has to commit to competing in Detroit until late November/early December?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
All that is known at this time is that she has an automatic bye to 2019 Nationals based on her 2nd place finish in San Jose last year. I don't believe she has to commit to competing in Detroit until late November/early December?
Thanx for the explanation. OK it's like I need to leave the multi kinds of tulip bulbs safe under the ground until spring comes even if I forgot where I planted which one and want to dig them badly. :D

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Thanx for the explanation. OK it's like I need to leave the multi kinds of tulip bulbs safe under the ground until spring comes even if I forgot where I planted which one and want to dig them badly. :D

For some reason, I'm getting a mental picture of Brian De Palma's Carrie, where Amy Irving pays her respects at Sissy Spacek's burial plot.

Sylvia

TBD
For Mirai fans in the Chicago area (saw this posted on her website) - she is coming to speak at Northwestern University on November 10: https://www.facebook.com/events/1778995448893775/
The Chinese Students Association is proud to present Olympic figure skater Mirai Nagasu as our 2018 Fall Speaker!
Mirai will be coming to share her experiences as an Asian American figure skater and Olympic athlete. The event will feature a moderated discussion, Q&A, and meet and greet. You won’t want to miss it!
Admission is free for Northwestern students and $10 for the general public.
Details:
Saturday, November 10
Doors open 1:45 pm
Event from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Related article: https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/...gure-skating-mirai-nagasu-to-speak-on-campus/

GullyGirl84

https://twitter.com/_suminwoo/with_replies

This Twitter user reported on Mirai’s event at Northwestern University this weekend.

Re: the vague comment from Mirai that the user reports (“I was really against surgery because I was like ‘Oh, Eastern medicine will help me’), another Twitter user who also appeared to have been at the event tweeted Mirai and wished her luck in her recovery efforts from surgery. Maybe their student newspaper will do a write up of the event or something.

Another Twitter user who was at the event made reference to Mirai talking about Lasik, so maybe that’s the surgery she is referring to. I did see a picture of Mirai from the beginning of October (posted on Twitter by Jeff Matthews of KOAA, a news channel for Colorado, from when she was shadowing the news channel as part of Team USA’s Athlete Career and Education Program) where she looks to be on crutches, but I’ve also seen her without crutches and using the exercise bike on her Instagram story since then, so who knows if that’s related or not.

In terms of competing, Mirai said at the event that [she’d] “like to think that I have one or two competitions left in me."

Frida80

Yeah, I always knew that piece of tape was really suspicious. Thankfully, adrenaline can carry us through those painful times. Sounds like she’s made up her mind now. I guess I should’ve seen it coming, but it’s still sad.

Spun Silver

Yeah, I always knew that piece of tape was really suspicious. Thankfully, adrenaline can carry us through those painful times. Sounds like she’s made up her mind now. I guess I should’ve seen it coming, but it’s still sad.
Don't be sad yet. Someone live-tweeting her talk quoted her as saying, "I'd like to think I have one or two more competitions left in me."

Maximillian

RIP TA
So, it seems like while competing might not necessarily be off the radar, competing this season is? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine she's going to be ready for Nationals.

GullyGirl84

So, it seems like while competing might not necessarily be off the radar, competing this season is? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine she's going to be ready for Nationals.

Yeah, I'm assuming that nationals is a no go, since it's November at this point.

Here is another write up where they specify that Mirai talked about getting a labral tear. I think that the article misstates her going to UCCS for going to UCCA…

http://www.northbynorthwestern.com/story/olympic-figure-skater-mirai-nagasu-speaks-about-ca/

Spun Silver

Wow, she really lays it all out there. I hope she can exorcise her demons by talking about them at last.

I'm not sure about public speaking as a main career. I hope Mirai finishes her business degree.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Mirai has been doing promos for the U.S. championships next month on instagram. She said go buy tickets in one of her photos and the Little Caesars Arena account said they couldn't wait to welcome her back next month in January but do we have any news if she will actually compete? I assume the answer in no since we haven't seen her training for a while on social media and it pretty much has only been her coaching lower level skaters.

GullyGirl84

Mirai has been doing promos for the U.S. championships next month on instagram. She said go buy tickets in one of her photos and the Little Caesars Arena account said they couldn't wait to welcome her back next month in January but do we have any news if she will actually compete? I assume the answer in no since we haven't seen her training for a while on social media and it pretty much has only been her coaching lower level skaters.

Yeah, I'm definitely expecting Mirai to just be in attendance. I think that she was off ice for a while due to that injury (possibly even implied surgery) that she had talked about at Northwestern. I don't think she did any jumps in her recent exhibition shows. I'm sure it will be a different experience for her (and for Ashley, assuming that she will attend) to watch nationals after competing for so many years.

giselle23

Yeah, I'm assuming that nationals is a no go, since it's November at this point.

Here is another write up where they specify that Mirai talked about getting a labral tear. I think that the article misstates her going to UCCS for going to UCCA…

http://www.northbynorthwestern.com/story/olympic-figure-skater-mirai-nagasu-speaks-about-ca/

Wow-a labral tear is usually career ending (Michelle Kwan, Evan Lysacek, Alissa Csizny, Tara Lipinski). I can hardly believe Mirai pulled off a 3A with that injury. Mirai doesn't need to come back. She has done enough. She has made history as the first US ladies skater to land a 3A at the Olympics and one of only 9 ladies skaters ever to land it in international competition. Quite an exclusive club to be a member of!

Sylvia

TBD
Mirai just posted 4 photos today of her (right) hip surgery along with a lengthy message ("In 2016, I started to experience excruciating pains in my hip that reached all the way down my leg that at one point, didn’t allow me to straighten my knee."): https://www.instagram.com/p/BsQ2hWVlDTR/

ETA: It makes sense that she scheduled the surgery for after the 12/30/18 SOI Lake Placid show. Her next IG post includes her statement "In 2019, I promise to be nicer to myself and to my body. Here’s to making it through another year."

ETA #2: "In a statement that appears to have been drafted nearly a month ago, Nagasu explained why she is opening up about the procedure": https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/01/05/mirai-nagasu-will-skip-nationals-reveals-past-surgery/
I was assuming her surgery happened recently but have now been informed it was a while ago.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Thanks for the update, Sylvia. From the post, it wasn't clear if she'd actually had surgery since she mentioned alternative treatment. Wishing her a speedy recovery and i hope to see her skating in more shows.

skatfan

Wow - Mirai is a very tough cookie. Wishing her all the best in recovering from this surgery! It's hard to see whether she could return to eligible competition, but I hope we will see her skate in the future.

Debbie S

I was assuming her surgery happened recently but have now been informed it was a while ago.
I was wondering how she could have had surgery this week and attend the pre-Golden Globes event today (in her and Meryl's IG stories) looking totally tiffed. I was thinking she had set a record for recovery. :confused:

So her surgery was Sept/Oct and she was able to skate in SOI Lake Placid? Wow! Best wishes to her for a continued speedy recovery.

SkateFanBerlin

Have we cleared up when the surgery happened? Agree she's tough. Post skating, career in investment banking? Communications for politician, CEO?

Sylvia

TBD
So her surgery was Sept/Oct and she was able to skate in SOI Lake Placid?
Mirai performed in Shanghai Stars on Ice on September 16 and her next public skating appearance, AFAIK, was Dec. 1st in Providence, RI - article: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...ine-providence-rhode-island-holiday-show.aspx
Nagasu wowed the audience with her new program to "Halo" by Beyoncé, choreographed by Tom Dickson. The two-time Olympian talked to the audience following her skate about her recent experience on Dancing with the Stars and the excitement of the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018. The show collected toys for Toys for Tots and filled over three collection bins for the charity.
Links I posted in the GSD thread:
Faraway fan cam of Mirai skating outdoors to "Halo" in Providence yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdue3SWNaWs
4 photos (with Nagasu & Meissner): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq3olIuh5Sb/
Close up clip of Mirai's performance filmed by the same person/photographer: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq3bw6GhtqP/
Refer to @GullyGirl84's Nov. 11th post above (following Mirai's speaking engagement at Northwestern U.):
I did see a picture of Mirai from the beginning of October (posted on Twitter by Jeff Matthews of KOAA, a news channel for Colorado, from when she was shadowing the news channel as part of Team USA’s Athlete Career and Education Program) where she looks to be on crutches
Here are the photos tweeted by him on October 5: https://twitter.com/jmatthewskoaa/status/1048290453303386113

kalle

Has any other top athlete being able to return to competetive skating after such surgery?
When reading Mirai's word on Instagram I really got to understand how "driven" an athlete can be and how important despite naggering injuries it can be for them to reach their goals. I remember being so impressed with all her jumping clips I saw on Instagram leading up to Nationals/Olympics and now knowing she was already injured at the time, it makes me realize how important her dream for a 2nd Olympics really was.
If this is "it" competetive skating wise, she will always be one of my favorite skater over the past 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information