Microwave cooking

Susan1

New subject - I get this salmon that goes in the microwave. I've always put it in a little square Glad container. And you have to cover the top (not the salmon) with a paper towel, so I can't really put it on a plate in there because the paper towel would touch the salmon. But - the juices get too cooked and stick to the plastic bowl. Then they get dried up, no matter how long I soak it (in hot soapy water right away) or wash it. I don't have a dishwasher. Scraping it has ruined the bowl. Can I sit the salmon on something, not a paper towel. I know you can't use aluminum foil. Can I use wax paper? The hints for wax paper say you can wrap things in the microwave. Can I sit something on it for 4 minutes, and 2 minutes out. Please don't tell me to put it in the regular oven. By the time it heats up and then has to cook for half an hour, I would be out of the mood. I don't cook and I don't particularly like to eat, so I need to eat when I feel like it. Thanks.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I would change two things.

It’s not really a great idea to microwave in plastic glad containers. I would replace that with a small glass dish that is microwaveable. Pyrex has a bunch of very inexpensive options at Walmart and Target.

In my experience, wax paper doesn’t hold up well to extended cooking. Parchment paper does though.

Susan1

Thanks. The smallest Pyrex thing in this house is a small meatloaf pan. All the other baking things are aluminum pans (I even have a heart shaped one) or big glass bowls. The whole cabinet under the silverware drawer is plastic containers and bowls (some that were here, some that were mine, some new). I sorted out all the lids and matched them with containers, and put the lids all in one box, and threw away about 20 margarine containers/lids, in 2007.

I was just in Walgreen and CVS today. They both have a kitchen stuff aisle. I could have looked. Walmart makes me nervous. What about the Dollar General (not the Dollar Tree where everything IS $1)? I haven't had salmon since last winter. Who knows if I'll buy it again after I eat these two in the box, or I'd buy parchment paper. My hands are not doing well. Cleaning a glass dish makes me nervous. Just thinking as I'm trying to type with my cold, stiff fingers......

aka_gerbil

You’re welcome!

Even if you didn’t buy the fish again, parchment paper has a lot of cooking uses, so you’d be able to use the roll on other things. It’s great for microwave cooking all sorts of things.

Edit: This link describes how to cook fish in parchment in the microwave on a plate.

Last edited:

Susan1

Even if you didn’t buy the fish again, parchment paper has a lot of cooking uses,
All good suggestions, but I don't cook! ha ha You guys didn't think I bought real salmon from the seafood counter?

"Cover microwave safe dish loosely with paper towel."

I put everything on paper plates, even microwave dinners (not drinks). Parchment paper would probably be good for cookies in the oven, but I have non-stick baking sheets. They just slide right off.
You put it over the plate. (In case that wasn't obvious.)
O.k. - here's the thing (Monk). I have to have something deeper than the thickness of the salmon because there is marinade in the pouch. That's what cooks to the plastic, not the salmon, although it's in the pouch with the marinade so even if I didn't pour it on before cooking, it would still be sticky. (I don't like dry salmon = Red Lobster; Long John Silver used to have a salmon over rice that made it juicy; and I always got the bourbon salmon at Lone Star Steakhouse. Yum.)

Anyway, I, personally, could not carry a plate with liquid sloshing all over. I have to take things out and put them on the stove next to the microwave (especially if it's hot) and get settled and then carry it to the breakfast bar. My life is complicated. :rolleyes:

I'll look somewhere for a small deep microwave-safe baking dish Monday. By then, I won't feel like eating salmon. I specifically bought it today cause that's what I was hungry for. Sheesh.

BittyBug

Disgusted
@Susan1 the paper towel is to absorb spatter and allow the steam caused by cooking to escape. Do you have microwave safe soup bowls (not earthenware)? If so you can achieve the same effect by placing your salmon in one bowl and then inverting the second bowl to cover the first. The bowls will chatter a bit as it’s cooking but they’ll be fine.

After your 4 minutes of cook time are done, just open the microwave door and let the bowls sit there for the 2 minute rest time. And use a towel to handle when removing from the microwave and taking off the top bowl.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Thanks. The smallest Pyrex thing in this house is a small meatloaf pan. All the other baking things are aluminum pans (I even have a heart shaped one) or big glass bowls. The whole cabinet under the silverware drawer is plastic containers and bowls (some that were here, some that were mine, some new). I sorted out all the lids and matched them with containers, and put the lids all in one box, and threw away about 20 margarine containers/lids, in 2007.

I was just in Walgreen and CVS today. They both have a kitchen stuff aisle. I could have looked. Walmart makes me nervous. What about the Dollar General (not the Dollar Tree where everything IS $1)? I haven't had salmon since last winter. Who knows if I'll buy it again after I eat these two in the box, or I'd buy parchment paper. My hands are not doing well. Cleaning a glass dish makes me nervous. Just thinking as I'm trying to type with my cold, stiff fingers......
Go into the supermarket and buy 1 glass baking dish... Geesh! You could spray a little Pam in the bottom. That will make it simple to clean.

A.H.Black

Or go to your local thrift store and find something that will work. A pie plate would probably work. I cover everything with paper plates - the cheap ones.

Susan1

Those covers are all deep enough for that. I've re-heated salmon, steak, and even a hamburger in a bun under them.
Thanks. I don't explain myself well. It's not the cover that has to be deeper than the salmon. It's the dish to put it in cause of the marinade sloshing out when I move it.

the paper towel is to absorb spatter
Yeah, it's always a mess.
Do you have microwave safe soup bowls
My old Corelle soup/salad bowls. I thought about that before, but I don't know if they could do 4 minutes. I guess using a towel to get it out would be o.k. because it's not like it would be full to the top with soup. I'm serious about the spilling/dropping. I do not trust my wrists. (The little square plastic things have edges to pick up with.) And my ring fingers have gotten really hard to control. I tried to put a gardening glove on the other day to pull some weeds and I couldn't get my left ring finger to go in the right hole. I can feel it acting like it has a mind of its own when I am typing.
You could spray a little Pam in the bottom.
I used that on something before once, and it took longer to wash the grease off of whatever it was (with Dawn) than whatever I didn't want to stick.

So I have to buy a baking dish, a cover and Pam spray for two meals of salmon. ha ha

Thanks, everybody. At least this is a more interesting conversation than disease and destruction, huh? Or not.

Susan1

Or go to your local thrift store and find something that will work. A pie plate would probably work. I cover everything with paper plates - the cheap ones.
I have a glass pie plate. It's old. I don't think it's microwave safe! Or is all glass microwave safe? Goodwill is a good idea. I've covered bowls of stuff with cheap paper plates too. Wait - I still have some good "paper" plates and bowls up in the cabinet. The coated Dixie kind, like on the commercials where food doesn't soak through and they don't break when you fill them up? Either would be deep enough for the marinade. Or do I not want to put the salmon on a coated paper plate? I'm tired of thinking about this tonight. I'll check back in the morning, if anybody is not tired of thinking about it. :)

Spun Silver

Some microwaves cook faster than others, hence microwave cooking instructions often have two different cooking times and also say your microwave may be different. It sounds like you have a faster one. I would do it your usual way but try cooking it for 3 minutes instead of 4, or maybe 3:20. Then the juices shouldn't stick to your bowl. I have no qualms about microwaving food in plastic dishes. I would cover the bowl with wax paper instead of a paper towel. If the juices spit, the paper towel will absorb them whereas the wax paper might send some of them back. But there will be less spattering with a shorter cooking time.

You certainly can line a paper bowl with wax paper and microwave it but it sounds messy. The wax paper won't melt but it will get very soft and leaky, defeating your purpose. I'd stick with the plastic bowl.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Thanks. I don't explain myself well. It's not the cover that has to be deeper than the salmon. It's the dish to put it in cause of the marinade sloshing out when I move it.
Your original explanation made sense. Hopefully you can find a dish at a thrift store or something. I'd try looking for some Tupperware that's specifically made for the microwave.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I have a glass pie plate. It's old. I don't think it's microwave safe! Or is all glass microwave safe?
All glass is not microwave safe but any glass that is oven proof (like your pie plate) would also be microwave safe.

Or do I not want to put the salmon on a coated paper plate?
The coating is plastic and plastic when heated in a microwave can release chemicals that leach into your food. Better to use a paper towel or cheap un-coated paper plate.

aka_gerbil

BittyBug is correct; not all glass is safe, but anything made of glass that can go in the oven can also go in the microwave. The pie plate can definitely go in there.

I regularly microwave Corelle plates and bowls for times longer than 3-4 minutes with zero issue. I think between the pie plate and the Corelle bowls, you don't need to obtain any more dishes. You should be good to go.

I do think Spun Silver might be on to something with the cooking time. I'd start with 3 minutes, and then add extra time in 10 or 15 second intervals if you need to.

Susan1

Thanks all! The only Corelle plate ever lost was one time my mom sat one out of the way on the back burner where the stove heat comes out while she was cooking something and it just popped and split down the middle. I've put the bowls in the microwave for a minute and a half - oatmeal. On a paper plate, and then I fold the paper plate up around the bowl to pick it up far enough to put it on the stove next to it. I'll try 2 minutes and then another one. By the time the salmon sits for 2 minutes though, I've put it on the little microwaveable (is there an e in there or not - I've seen and typed the word so many times now, it doesn't even look like a word anymore) plate I eat it from and heated it up for another 30 seconds and then poured the juice from the thing I cooked it in on it. (I think I won't be buying salmon anymore. ha ha)

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I’m curious, is the microwave the only option for you to cook the salmon in?

Susan1

Ov course lining the glass with Reynolds wrap is my go to face.
Huh? In the microwave? Did your "go to face" blow up? ???

I shorted out a microwave back in the 90's heating up a pot pie that said it was microwave safe. It did look metallic on the inside of the container it came in, but I had used them before safely. I haven't bought one since. When I went to unplug the microwave, I noticed the outlet was hot. I called my dad. He said he would replace it the next day, but I had him call an electrician. I trusted my dad to fix everything (he built furniture, and used to work on everybody's cars), but not with electrical things. And I stopped on the way home from work and bought a new microwave.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Huh? In the microwave? Did your "go to face" blow up? ???

I shorted out a microwave back in the 90's heating up a pot pie that said it was microwave safe. It did look metallic on the inside of the container it came in, but I had used them before safely. I haven't bought one since. When I went to unplug the microwave, I noticed the outlet was hot. I called my dad. He said he would replace it the next day, but I had him call an electrician. I trusted my dad to fix everything (he built furniture, and used to work on everybody's cars), but not with electrical things. And I stopped on the way home from work and bought a new microwave.
Oops,. Temporary insanity!. Just seeing if y'all are awake. Reynolds wrap.....oven only!

Susan1

Well! That was exciting. I ran over to Kroger to use my free Suave body wash coupon before it expires 11/1. I had a list of non-food things I could get with my two $2 coupons from buying instant breakfast. One was a pyrex dish for the salmon. They didn't have any at CVS. So there I go in the kitchenware aisle and they have a $7.99 one ON SALE for $4.65. Seriously. Right size (I tested when I got home), microwave safe. (The cereal/salad/soup bowl I was going to put it in was too small.) So, this comes with a rubber lid. I won't use it with the salmon; just a paper plate over top? I tested. I hope it doesn't spit around the sides. The paper towel worked good on the square dish. So I will try this tonight. I'm not good with glass things. If I drop it, I hope it is after I eat the salmon. And that it is clean. And that I don't get cut.

Susan1

You crack me up! :rofl:

And I hope it happens after you eat your salmon too. :D
It's not funny. I drop, spill, bump into and knock over everything. On the way out the door, I had to keep reminding myself that it was glass and not to bump it on the side of the car or the car door. It's soaking in the sink right now. Drying it is going to be scary. I don't dry my instant breakfast glasses. They just sit in the drainer overnight. I just thought about having to get it out of the microwave. It's the size of a microwave meal and will be on a paper plate, so maybe I can fold that up the sides and put it right on the burner next to the microwave. Maybe I'll wait till tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information