Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

VGThuy

I remember watching The Teen Choice Awards just because Michelle Kwan was nominated. It was nice to see her win a popular voted award after her 2002 loss. She said she was embarrassed at first because the invite said beach wear but nobody on the red carpet was really wearing beach wear, but she was like "eff it" and left the car to attend the awards.

Sylvia

TBD
michellewkwan The holiday season gets me all sentimental and makes me reflect on how grateful I am for the people (and puppies 🐶 ) in my life. I want to dedicate this post to the mkforum.net - they’ve been supportive of me throughout my skating career and beyond. Love you guys!
Thank you Jordan @oniceperspectives for capturing how it feels from the skater’s perspective and sharing the joy we skaters feel on the ice with the world.
😘
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br5ifowF64T/

ETA that Jordan C. has posted his video with his own message here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Br5k7WInW8j/
__⛸ @michellewkwan, Choreo by @karenwkwan
__🎥 by Jordan @oniceperspectives
__🎵 “Call On Me” by @gracegrundy
__🗓 on Tuesday, December 25, 2018
__📍 at @eastwesticepalace

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
New skating video to Birdy's "Skinny Love": https://www.instagram.com/p/BrVdVhWFh14/

With what I keep seeing, she's in better shape now than when she competed. I could see her coming back and competing at 2020 Worlds. I highly doubt the Kween would consider it, but I look at how Evgeni's come back so many times, and she would be 100 percent better than the Team USA Ladies skaters we have now. Sorry to say that, but Michelle's got it altogether in one package.

VGThuy

With what I keep seeing, she's in better shape now than when she competed. I could see her coming back and competing at 2020 Worlds. I highly doubt the Kween would consider it, but I look at how Evgeni's come back so many times, and she would be 100 percent better than the Team USA Ladies skaters we have now. Sorry to say that, but Michelle's got it altogether in one package.

I love Kwan to death, but let's not go overboard.

Simone411

I love Kwan to death, but let's not go overboard.
I know that Michelle would never even consider that and I realize how old she is. But at this very moment, she is 100 percent better with her artistic and technical abilities than most of our USA Ladies.

VGThuy

I know that Michelle would never even consider that and I realize how old she is. But at this very moment, she is 100 percent better with her artistic and technical abilities than most of our USA Ladies.

I think we need to give our ladies more credit than that. What they are required to do to be competitive is a lot. They all need 3/3s, 3 level 4 spins, long butt level 4 footwork, and need to fit it all in four minutes while showcasing a thousand transitions and features on jumps for GOE. AND they are extra scrutinized like all skaters for URs. And now they are asked to keep up with the Japanese with their bomb skating skills, the Russians with their consistency and pushing the envelope, and others. Kwan just got a triple toe back to take an Instagram video of. Who knows if she can do it now. It was gorgeous though as was that double axel. I loved that she recreated her Aranjuez footwork weeks ago, but it’s clear it’s not what it was back in 2003 so I have trouble seeing if she can a level 4 footwork sequence.

Simone411

I think we need to give our ladies more credit than that. What they are required to do to be competitive is a lot. They all need 3/3s, 3 level 4 spins, long butt level 4 footwork, and need to fit it all in four minutes while showcasing a thousand transitions and features on jumps for GOE. AND they are extra scrutinized like all skaters for URs. And now they are asked to keep up with the Japanese with their bomb skating skills, the Russians with their consistency and pushing the envelope, and others. Kwan just got a triple toe back to take an Instagram video of. Who knows if she can do it now. It was gorgeous though as was that double axel. I loved that she recreated her Aranjuez footwork weeks ago, but it’s clear it’s not what it was back in 2003 so I have trouble seeing if she can a level 4 footwork sequence.

Oh I agree with you on a lot of what you said. Still, Michelle still has that gorgeous spiral, falling leaf, footwork and most of the time using one foot/leg through it all, great sit spins, still can do triple jumps according to what I saw in some recent instagram videos and the best part she's still like a graceful swan with no flapping arms like a seagull in desperation of getting away from a storm.

There were a few of the skaters back in the day that had those beautiful spirals like Michelle's. I loved Carolina's spiral, Sasha's spiral and Sarah had a pretty good spiral herself. I like Nancy's spiral, too, where she reached back with her hand. I know there's more skaters than I mentioned, too.

I do give a lot of credit to some of our US Ladies at present. You know, I wish Michelle would become a choreographer or coach to some of these ladies. She could help them even more with their footwork and their edges, and controling their arms a little more. Well, that goes for several of the younger skaters from other countries, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information