Maria Butyrskaya - Ilia Malinin is not even American

delayedaxel

I almost find Irina‘s comment more interesting (if translated properly), not caring about Ilia‘s quad axel „because he is American“. For somebody who dominated the field quite some time, this shows some big ignorance in the developpment of her sport.

bardtoob

I almost find Irina‘s comment more interesting (if translated properly), not caring about Ilia‘s quad axel „because he is American“. For somebody who dominated the field quite some time, this shows some big ignorance in the developpment of her sport.
What is Irina doing these days?

Last edited:

bardtoob

After considering the context of this whole thread, I hold nothing against Maria.

I basically read Maria's comments as politically very safe, given her local circumstances in global politics. We can parse Maria's well crafted comments, but really she just wants to be happy for her friends and say it as publicly as she can without making herself unpopular at home.

Fiero425

If that's the case, no wonder Slutskaya was so bitter that in SLC, (paraphrase) they wouldn't allow the Russians to sweep the podium.

Otonal then = Exogenesis 3 today.

They were in "The States!" No way was a sweep going to occur! Figure skating has always been a way to be political! It was obscene back then! It continues w/ their athletes unable to perform internationally due to the war in Ukraine! :wall: :confused::rolleyes::eek:

bardtoob

Expressing support for Putin, Mother Russia, and the invasion of Ukraine. Why do you ask?
I was eating a cheeseburger.

I am actually quite fond of my historical references to cheeseburgers . . . Alas, I am getting reflective with age.

Maybe somebody plans on feedings the Russians a single cheeseburger from the McDonald's value menu so they lose all their jumps
:shuffle:

Ashley has been around the GP a long time and knows a few tricks that could help her win ... Maybe she could offer Julia a cheeseburger backstage or something so Julia can no longer get off the ice.

More like if you fed Kristi a cheeseburger so she actually left tracings on the ice.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A lot of figure skaters from that era are/were close, and not necessarily the ones you'd expect. For instance, I remember an interview with Shae-Lynn Bourne where she talked about how much she loved Maria Butyrskaya.
I recall seeing a brief clip of SLB chatting with Lu Chen after Chen withdrew from Skate Canada '96, too. She seemed like everyone's supportive older sister back then.

Milan

Sort of ancillary to this, Barb Underhill at 98 Worlds during Tatiana's SP said Tatiana "absolutely adores" Michelle Kwan and it was a highlight for her that they were in the same practice group at the Olympics that year. Well, isn't that lovely.

bardtoob

Do you think she will go off the rails if US men’s nationals is something like Malinin, Torgy and Naumov?

Russia did just this last season

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information