Maria Butyrskaya - Ilia Malinin is not even American

airgelaal

Let's be honest. When Ilia started in juniors, his international results were so-so. Nobody in russia paid attention to him; they had their own heroes. And now, of course, we can talk about his "russian" genius.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Native Americans came to the Americas across the Bering Land Bridge from Russia and are thus Russians. Everyone knows this.
;)
Um, not all of them according to the latest data.

But, why does anybody care what Maria B thinks in this regard? :rofl: I'm sure Malinin doesn't. The angst and outrage expressed by some in this thread is cracking me up.

Last edited:

dupa

Home Sweet Home
I almost got through the first two pages of this thread and couldn't read any more. Send it to the archives. Sad, grim, pathetic.

Cachoo

Ok in light of this, how much do I wish Ilia would skate to “America the Beautiful” for a program or exhibition next season.

Quite a lot….. :lol: :HA!:
Blech!! Proud American but not big on these themes in skating.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Of course, Malinin is Russian when we look at his DNA.
But he was born and brought up in the US, has an American passport and he is representing 'Murica, so there's that.

Butyrskaya probably has no idea about the history of the USA and its citizens, so let's cut her some slack.
She is just trying to be a bit relevant, and, judging by this thread, she has succeeded. So, Congrats, I guess.

Don't feed the troll, guys.

Milan

I'm not sure about this assumption. Maria's main rival in the season she won her Worlds title was arguably Michelle Kwan (U-S-A).

Marco

Butyrskaya and Malinina were super close friends back in the day and I’d imagine they still are. I remember she once said that after they both failed to qualify for the short at 1993 Worlds, they sat and cried together. I also still remember Tatiana being super supportive to Maria at 2000 NHK directly after the marks came up that gave Slutskaya the controversial win.
This gives so much more colour to the 1998-9 season when they both broke through. Not an exact fan of their skating back then but was so glad that they presevered with good technique and did the best they could.

I wouldn't be too harsh on Masha for what she said. Considering the context and where she is / what she does now, I would be surprised if she didn't say what she said, whether she actually felt that way / believed it at heart or not.

Fact: Ilia is of Soviet heritage. So are his parents. He is born in the US. He skates for the US.

Somehow I feel Masha (or any Russian - TAT?) claiming credit for Ilia's success is pretty much just a slap in the face of the current (lack of) depth in Russian men skating.

bardtoob

Nobody is "native", everybody comes from other cultures around the world. I personally don't see any value in the word "American". It's not even an ethnicity.
Fact: Ilia is of Soviet heritage. So are his parents. He is born in the US. He skates for the US.
"Soviet heritage." :yikes:

:ds1: What is that? Everybody comes from different cultures. It's not even an ethnicity.

Last edited:

Fiero425

I'm not sure about this assumption. Maria's main rival in the season she won her Worlds title was arguably Michelle Kwan (U-S-A).

You can say that, but MK had started falling off! She had seriously cut back her schedule after the Olympic season! She wasn't comp. tough as she performed in pro events using "East Of Eden" music! I watched that competition in 1999! Michelle commited jump errors in both her SP & LP so egregious, even Frank Carroll reacted ringside! MK got the Silver medal only due to reputation! Actually Ilia's mom, Tatiana skated better and should have medaled! I was quite happy for Maria winning GOLD even though not the most graceful of skaters! :rolleyes: :eek:🥳:40beers:

Milan

Ok, you make a valid point. I should rephrase: Maria had a golden run that season and her main threat to a World title (at least according to US media) was Michelle Kwan.

But my point really is that Maria is not some cultural Luddite. She was skating in the era of MK, Kristi Yamaguchi, Surya Bonaly, etc.

Last edited:

bardtoob

You can say that, but MK had started falling off! She had seriously cut back her schedule after the Olympic season! She wasn't comp. tough as she performed in pro events using "East Of Eden" music! I watched that competition in 1999! Michelle commited jump errors in both her SP & LP so egregious, even Frank Carroll reacted ringside! MK got the Silver medal only due to reputation! Actually Ilia's mom, Tatiana skated better and should have medaled! I was quite happy for Maria winning GOLD even though not the most graceful of skaters! :rolleyes: :eek:🥳:40beers:

I decided to watch Tatiana's programs from 1999 Worlds . . . Oddly enough, the first thing you hear from this YouTube clip of her SP is Michelle Kwan's name ;)

. . .

Dang! Russia did Tatiana dirty in the SP and LP. Michelle Kwan received her highest marks in the LP from Russia and they were ranked higher than Tatiana's, who skated earlier but Russia could have easily put Michelle lower :huh:

I am guessing Tatiana was sold up a creek by Russia to pay for Russia taking the top spot in every category at 1999 Worlds, if not to keep Soldatova on the podium.

Last edited:

Former Lurve Goddess

I would. I think Scene d’Amour was her best. Otonal was great but I remember back in the day many people liked 17 Moments of Spring even better.
Scene d'Amour was chef's kiss and 17 Moments was an underrated gem. And it's awesome to hear that Shae-Lynn Bourne loved Maria. And when it comes to Kwan (and Slutskaya), I was always struck by the fact that Maria could beat each of them but not both of them at the same time.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
:huh:

I am guessing Tatiana was sold up a creek by Russia to pay for Russia taking the top spot in every category at 1999 Worlds, if not to keep Soldatova on the podium.
If that's the case, no wonder Slutskaya was so bitter that in SLC, (paraphrase) they wouldn't allow the Russians to sweep the podium.

Otonal then = Exogenesis 3 today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information