Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue's Reddit AMA

nimi

I dind't know Zach only started skating when he was 12! So, he belongs to the same club as Weir and LeDuc.

Like @Wyliefan, I loved the Mozart remark. Lemme just copypaste an extended version of the answer about rules they'd like to change:
Seriously, though, the only room [sic, I think they mean 'rule'] I really want gone is about Free Dance Music. We are required to make a medley of songs, with atleast one change in timing, rhythm, and expression! As if skating to one piece of music for 4 minutes would make it less dance, or more boring!

Also, we need an audible beat! This is tricky, since all music has a timing, but not always an audible consistent beat! It kills us to see people enhancing the instruments of music as timeless as Mozart!

Zach here. For me, the first rules I would want to see changed are about Dance Lifts. I believe that the rules, in an attempt to differentiate us from Pairs Skating, are too closed. We see too many lifts that look similar to one another, and we feel limited by the laundry list of Do's and Don'ts!
ETA: Also didn't realize Zach is basically Andrew Poje's height. He just looks kinda compact and agile so you don't think about his height at all!

Last edited:

Jun Y

It's more difficult to skate to audible beats and easier to skate to no clear beats.

Ice dancers who want a challenge can choose Stravinsky or Philip Glass with variable beats.

Even now we are seeing free dance programs in which skaters glide over any discernible beats and execute their steps and lifts whenever they want. They should not be rewarded to the same extent to skaters who can move with precise timing.

oleada

I knew Madison was dating Adria Diaz but I didn't know Zach dated Olivia Smart! How funny.

I hope they have a great season; they're my favorite US couple.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
So sad I missed this earlier! Silly work. :drama:

Loved all of their answers though, they're so engaging. Really hoping they have a strong season. I cannot wait to see their programs!

VGThuy

Zach has issued a clarification of the remarks he made yesterday:
https://twitter.com/ZachTDonohue

Wait, people were offended by his comments? That's crazy to me because he and Madison are competitors. They want to win. Every competitor has that attitude and probably made remarks similar to that before. He and Madison did not trash talk the Shibs or Chock/Bates or say they were robbed in the past or anything, so I don't know what there was to be offended about.

sap5

Wait, people were offended by his comments? That's crazy to me because he and Madison are competitors. They want to win. Every competitor has that attitude and probably made remarks similar to that before. He and Madison did not trash talk the Shibs or Chock/Bates or say they were robbed in the past or anything, so I don't know what there was to be offended about.

This is why skaters are usually so bland and barely say anything. The minute they show some fire, they get pounced on. It's ridiculous.

Daena

Well, he said he won't go up the podium to get bronze or even silver... Now it's something I'd like to see - like Suria'94 moment, ooh, drama.

VGThuy

This is why skaters are usually so bland and barely say anything. The minute they show some fire, they get pounced on. It's ridiculous.

I'm trying to find what negative comments there were because I didn't really see any on Twitter. I wrote a message of support to Zach because him feeling the need to clarify is ridiculous.

Well, he said he won't go up the podium to get bronze or even silver... Now it's something I'd like to see - like Suria'94 moment, ooh, drama.

Ah, I can see that rubbing some people the wrong way, but it was quite obvious that he was just doing that vision bard/life coach speak that they spoke about in that article. It's about revving yourself up and making it known to whomever that you want to be considered to be at the top internationally.

Debbie S

Every competitor has that attitude and probably made remarks similar to that before.
I don't have a problem with him saying they want to win. Every athlete does. But I thought his comment that he won't go on the podium to accept a bronze medal took things too far. Really, where did they expect to be placed last year after falling in the FD? There were 8 other teams at Nats that I'm sure would have gladly traded places with them.

Sylvia

TBD
Couldn't find their fan page anymore
Link to H/D's Reddit AMA on August 30th as compiled by @cgirl8 in their fan thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...nohue-fan-thread-2.100642/page-8#post-5122092

Re-posting the link to their photo shoot from their first Olympic media summit: Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue

USFS' video uploaded on Sept. 13, 2017:

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

"How does it feel to leach tax dollars and private funding to participate in a "sport" where there are no performance or objectively quantitative standards of performance quality guidelines beyond your soon to be upcoming post-performance crotch/victory/sweat-shots that can be marketed to cereal companies?"

From the reddit AMA.
People are so freakin' rude. Wtf.

blancanieves

I don't have a problem with him saying they want to win. Every athlete does. But I thought his comment that he won't go on the podium to accept a bronze medal took things too far.

It was clear to me that the podium comment was not to be taken literally, rather he was being facetious to illustrate a point. But, I guess intent could be misinterpreted in print if the reporter doesn't specify the manner in which a remark is made.

Really, where did they expect to be placed last year after falling in the FD? There were 8 other teams at Nats that I'm sure would have gladly traded places with them.

I don't think they ever claimed they should have placed higher after the FD, last year. They're talking about working even harder to earn better than bronze, this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information