Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

peibeck

Simply looking
Wow for Strycova, but sad for Konta and the British fans.

I watched the first set of Serena's match before work, wish I could've seen the whole match. It was an inspiring battle.

Lacey

Serena seems to be playing much better this year than last. But, there were two things that struck me today about Serena's play.

I was thrilled to see Ali Riske run Serena around the court from one side to the other and also up and back between baseline and net. It certainly made for an interesting match. Good for Ali and her coaches, I've been wanting other players to try to get Serena to have to move. I think that's the way to get to Serena. We all know her serve is amazing. But she is either a bit out of shape or never was a running type of player, she just has above the waist incredible power power power. I believe she had over 18 aces today. But to be a complete champion, I think one should have a body that is wholly in shape and legs that are able to to get to one's opponents shots all over the court.

Also, Serena has un uncanny way of unfolding her body if she makes a mistake, she literally seems to crumble. She is very expressive with her contortions, almost spastic coming to a stop. This is fine if the point is over, but on the off chance that she can reach a shot after struggling, she needs to be ready in case she does hit the shot back, after all, because her opponent will be slamming it right back again.

Lacey

Serena played very well today to get to the finals.

But it was buried in the news until the end of her quarter final match that she was fined the maximum amount of $10,000 for destroying the court (apparently she pounded her racket on the grass) during a practice session before any of the matches started 10 days ago. What's up with that, why did the tournament wait so long to tell us, and, really Serena?

nylynnr

Report of fines levied during week 1 was released to the press on July 8, I believe, so that's when the news emerged. Serena damaged the court during practice the day before Wimbledon started. Other players, notably serial offenders Fognini and Kyrgios, were fined for cursing and carrying on like idiots. Their fines were lower than Serena's because of the All England Club's single-minded effort to maintain its lawns.

quartz

scratching at the light
Nadal and Federer! Who’s watching?? I love both these guys so much and don’t know who to root for. The cats are already giving me dirty looks for yelling in glee at the TV!

Fiero425

Nadal and Federer! Who’s watching?? I love both these guys so much and don’t know who to root for. The cats are already giving me dirty looks for yelling in glee at the TV!

I'm over Fedal and am looking forward to the next generation taking over! Thiem's doing his part; beat Novak in the SF in Paris last month! Too bad the script is the usual with the same 3 players dominating the tour like no other "Big 3" in the history of the game! I won't mind Nole taking another Wimbledon to get closer to the other 2 in major count; Fed=20, Rafa=18, & Nole=15 for the time being! :rolleyes: :p :judge:

Jelly

I listened to both semester final matches while on 12 hour highway trip, think I might have missed some things, but good for the old man

quartz

scratching at the light
What a fun match! Was rooting a little more for Nadal when he started faltering a bit.
Sunday should be great, and I’ll be cheering on Federer for the win.

Lorac

I'm over Fedal and am looking forward to the next generation taking over! Thiem's doing his part; beat Novak in the SF in Paris last month! Too bad the script is the usual with the same 3 players dominating the tour like no other "Big 3" in the history of the game! I won't mind Nole taking another Wimbledon to get closer to the other 2 in major count; Fed=20, Rafa=18, & Nole=15 for the time being! :rolleyes: :p :judge:

Trouble is the next gen seem to falter time and time again - especially when it comes to the slams - Tsistipas and Zverev both faltered at the first hurdle last week - and they are just the latest batch of next genners who have failed to take on the big 3 on a regular basis.

The Federer Nadal semi was fabulous - especially the end of the 4th set. If Nadal had broken back after Fed had all those match points he would probably have taken the 5th set - but Federer held on. I would love him to win on Sunday but he needs to bring his A game and be as aggressive as he was today!! The crowd will certainly be with him.

The ladies Final has Serena as fav - but I'd love to see Simona win her 2nd GS title!!

Lorac

Wow - Simona was so in the zone - she absolutely dominated that match 6-2, 6-2!!! I didn't think Simona could do it as she has seemed to go ahead and then give it away - but not today - she was on fire today!!! I think winning the FO last year has given her confidence. And her winning speech is adorable!!

The question is - will Serena ever get to match Court and then beat her to the most GS's? She is starting to run out of time to be honest.

ETA: Just reading some tweets from former players - everyone is saying that was one of the best played and executed matches from a player. And she gets to meet Kate - the Duchess of Cambridge which was one of her wishes - to play in front of Kate!!

Last edited:

liv

Great match by Simona. That's the way to do it. I thought she had a good chance and if she made Serena run then things might go her way (Serena gets upset most often by players who make her move), but by all accounts she ran everything down and made almost no errors. Loved how excited she was to see Kate in attendance (and meet her) and to know that she's an All England club member for life. I think she loved those 2 things almost as much as actually winning.

Great doubles match.

Great for Romanian tennis and now Colombian tennis to have Wimbledon winners.

Lorac

OK Federer hold - this needs to go to the final set tie-break!!!

ETA: Why couldn't he have served like that when serving for the match!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information