Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Rafter

Apparently Federer has arrived in Rotterdam for this week’s tournament and I think if he makes the quarters or semis he’ll be world #1.

Also Djokovic has recently had wrist surgery in Switzerland. So many injuries on the men’s side.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I find it absolutely ridiculous that the police officer who manhandled James Blake is now suing Blake for defamation! :rolleyes: The officer threw Blake on the ground and handcuffed him, causing Blake to suffer cuts, bruises and humiliation in front of onlookers. The video that was later released shows obvious undue force by the officer. Blake was standing in front of a hotel in New York a few years ago minding his own business, when the incident occurred. Blake had been in town to attend the U.S. Open, and he was waiting for a friend outside the hotel.

Here are reports about the defamation lawsuit:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ke-for-defamation_us_59d4e2f3e4b0218923e6ba85

https://www.foxsports.com/tennis/story/officer-who-tackled-james-blake-sues-for-defamation-100217

Classy response from Blake's attorney:
”'Mr. Blake will respond to this attack on his character with the same grace and dignity that has characterized his response to the attack on his person,' said Blake’s lawyer, Kevin Marino."

It looks to me like this reprehensible officer is simply scrounging for a payday. :blah:

In happier news, James Blake recently sent a lovely tweet of support to Adam Rippon, as shared by @Sylvia in Adam's fan thread:
"Tweeted last week by James Blake, a now retired tennis player I admire as a person (forgot to post this earlier):
https://twitter.com/JRBlake/status/961455379979751424"

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/the-adam-rippon-good-news-thread.90289/page-16

ETA:
Here's information on James Blake's book he later wrote about how the incident spurred him on to become an activist for worthy causes:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32600728-ways-of-grace

Blake has another book he wrote about his struggle to come back from a serious accident on the tennis court in which he broke his back:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1444377.Breaking_Back

Last edited:

Rafter

Miami Open on now and Djokovic lost in R2 to Paire. :eek: I think that's three losses in a row for him. He's really struggling after injury and surgery. Part me wonders if there's a lack of motivation after making over $100m in earnings (not to count endorsements).

Federer lost to Del Potro in the Indian Wells final. Happy for Juan Martin to have success after all the wrist problems.

So many injuries on the mens side (Nadal,Thiem,Tsonga,Murray,Wawrinka). It's crazy.

Sylvia

TBD
Rome semi-final live: Nadal vs. Djokovic ... battling in 1st set tiebreaker!

ETA: Rafa wins 7-6 (7-4) 6-3!

Women's 1st Semi-final:
4 E. Svitolina def. A. Kontaveit 6-4 6-3

Next up - 11:15 AM ET
1 S. Halep vs. M. Sharapova

2nd Men's semi is scheduled for 2 PM ET:
4 M. Čilić vs. 2 A. Zverev

ETA:

Halep def. Sharapova 4-6 6-1 6-4

Sascha Zverev def. Cilic 7-6 (15-13!) 7-5

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The French Open will mostly be televised on the Tennis Channel in the U.S. and my cable company doesn't carry it.

If at any point someone here can post a link to a non-American station (maybe Eurosport?), I'd be very grateful.

Lorac

So Serena and Maria Sharapova will meet in the Round of 16. For so many reasons, I hope Serena continues to own that matchup.

Both Serena and Maria have been playing well - though in the 2nd round Serena had a dreadful set and a half. But her will to win is 2nd to none. And Maria hasn't beaten Serena since 2004 for goodness sake - it's as if Maria sees Serena on the other side of the net and wilts. She's only taken one set of Serena in the last 13 times they've played. I suppose if Maria is going to end this run then this is her best chance in years - but this is Serena - the greatest female player to ever play the game and one of the greatest players ever - male or female!! But I still don't like Serena's catsuit!!

Fiero425

So Serena and Maria Sharapova will meet in the Round of 16. For so many reasons, I hope Serena continues to own that matchup.

No fan of either, but the "Maria love" is so over the top and ridiculous! She's always been breaking down and like Nadal unable to stay on the court for any length of time! The suspension just cemented the emotions being busted for using an illegal substance! It would be different except she was being managed by one of the biggies in the world, IMG! They were together since she was 9 yrs old so all well knew the rules and what's permissible or not! If she had been taking this supplement for over 10 yrs, others should have known that it was banned in 2016 and warned her accordingly! :rolleyes: :yikes:

Lorac

Although I like Sloane as well, I hope Simona finally gets her first grand slam title! :cheer2:

Well she did - but went down a set and a break to Sloane. But then Simona's match toughness came into play and she grabbed the match by the scruff of its neck and won in 3 - with the 3rd set being more of a blow out as Sloane just looked weary there.

So no longer a slamless #1 - well done Simona - French Open Champion 2018 :cheer::cheer2::40beers:

Lorac

And the top 4 of the ladies ranking are all currently GS holders - Simona French, Caroline Australia, Gabi Wimbledon and Sloane US.

peibeck

Simply looking
:eek: No one is discussing Wimbeldon???

Hsieh taking out Halep in three was an epic, bizarre match for the ages. Such different types of players... very entertaining.

Nadal looks amazing in the matches I've seen, the most comfortable I've ever seen him look on grass ever.

Lorac

I'm watching but the football sneaks in. The women's seeds are just falling like dominos. I'm not sure who the highest women's seed who is still in to be honest. Serena must be looking more and more on for her 23 slam.

Federer is also looking sublime at the moment - not a single break point against him in his first 3 games!!

peibeck

Simply looking
Pliskova, the 7th seed here, is the only top 10 seeded lady left from after this afternoon.

While I'd be thrilled to see Serena win, she doesn't seem to be moving all that well (to me), so I guess we'll see. Assuming she makes it to the quarters, Serena against Makarova (who I think should beat Giorgi) will be her real first test, I think.

Roger always looks good on the grass, so I expect a Roger/Rafa final is probably the most reliable thing happening at this tournament. :lol:

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
I feel very confident about Serena winning #24 here. I highly doubt Makarova stopping her. While she even beat Serena in a slam once before, she isn't a big match player, and a quarterfinal vs Serena with a wide open draw would be a huge match for her, her first and possibly only shot ever at a slam final or even a slam win. I think Kerber if she makes the final is probably her only real threat.

peibeck

Simply looking
@Jeschke I honestly don't know who will win. I'm glad Kerber is finding her great game again, but honestly I've been so impressed with Bertens at this tournament. Serena is my sentimental favorite, but like I said above, I don't know if she's quite in her best form yet. It will be a big test for her to get through the next three rounds. (But how can anyone count her out?!?!?)

J

Jeschke

Serena is my sentimental favorite
Serena is my sentimental favorite[/QUOTE]

Whose not?
I am lucky, 2/3 of my loved ones are still on , only Sharapova had to go out :drama:
And I am having another german in (not that I would care at all for Goerges' game :shuffle:).

But in the end, lucky as I am, we may end up with Ostapenko as a double GS champion. :shuffle:
(which would say much about women tennis these days :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information