Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Lorac

Rafael Nadal announced his withdrawal today due to a wrist injury. :(

He had been playing so well in the first 2 rounds as well. Novak again is being handed another golden chance to get the career GS. I worry that Andy having 2 5 setters in the first 2 rounds has taken a little out of his legs which could impact him if he makes it to the final.

OnyxRose81

Very sad for him at his best major. That's terrible.

If Murray wins a FO before Djokovic, I will scream (and then just laugh at the absurdity of it all). Not here for Wawrinka winning again either.

Hindernisse

I had also to withdraw from my spectator's seat at Philippe Chatrier tomorrow due to a broken ankle. *sigh*

Lorac

So sad for Tosonga as he was playing well there. But an adductor injury would.effectively mean he was unable to move that leg with any speed.

If Novak doesn't make the final now it will be because of an epic upset. The question is who will be there to try to stop him winning the title.

On an aside those electrical storm that hit Paris and delayed the tennis with media outlets being affected were very scary. Some children were injured in a nearby park having sheltered under a tree. I hear the storms spread over a huge swath of Europe with a man being killed in Poland. :(

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
(((Hindernisse)))

Bummed not to get a shared birthday match from Rafa this year. :(

Great to see Gasquet get some NBC spotlight while he's playing well. :cheer2: Of course he gets Murray next and not the Spaniard who upset Raonic. :wall:

Lorac

Well no play at all today due to some atrocious weather in Paris so the schedule is getting tight. And the weather forecast for tomorrow is nor looking to bright either. Are they going to build a roof at Roland Garros any time soon?

Lorac

Another awful day yesterday with less than 2 hours play on all courts except Philippe Chatrier where they magically managed to record 2 hours and 1 minute even though the players stopped playing at 1 hour and 58 min. So half refunds for everyone else but none for the punters on Chatrier - pretty disgraceful IMHO.

So there is a huge back log of matches to be got through - the weather looks better today with a few showers so hopefully there will be a decent amount of play going on.

kylet3

I had also to withdraw from my spectator's seat at Philippe Chatrier tomorrow due to a broken ankle. *sigh*

Oh goodness! I'm so sorry to hear that. I was at Roland Garros on Monday, but I got completely rained out. It was disappointing not to see any tennis, but it's mother nature, there's not much you can do to control it. I'm going to apply for my refund. I'm still in Paris, so one can't be upset about that! I hope your ankle heals up soon!

Lacey

Just got home and am seeing last set of Serena's match against Putintseva. I don't think I have ever seen Serena (nor maybe too many others) wear long sleeved jacket and matching leggings, John just said it might be in 50s. Actually that's probably better than sweating all over.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Garbine Muguruza beats Serena Williams 7-5, 6-4

:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2:

As each grand slam event goes by, the chances of Serena catching Steffi Graf's open era record of 22 grand slam titles recedes

Muguruza made the final of Wimbledon last year, and but for inexperience would have won it. She will now be the favourite for Wimbledon.

Last edited:

manhn

Her serve will likely prevent her from being consistently unbeatable, but that ground game is soooo impressive.

Lorac

Garbiñe Muguruza has won the French Open, her first Grand Slam! :cheer:

She played really well and deserved the win :cheer2::encore:. She took the game to Serena and had showed no fear :respec:. I admit to being concerned as she had 4 CP's in the previous game when Serena was serving and then had to sit down before serving and she had been serving a load of double faults so I thought she might lose it but no she held up and won.

Not sure if Serena was nursing a thigh injury from some comments being made but she never uses that as an excuse. So she still sits on 21 GS title - still behind Steffi - but Wimbledon is up next and Serena is a hot fav for that.

Fabrichnova

Yeah, Serena is still the favorite (and top seed) for Wimbledon. If anything, I think the fact that Muguruza just won RG makes her even *less* likely to win Wimbledon. Most first-time slam winners have an adjustment/slump period immediately after their wins.

I'm optimistic about Muguruza's potential to be a consistent force at the top from here on out. The WTA is so chaotic these days (apart from Serena), it'd be nice to see another player challenging for titles on a regular basis.

Reactions: liv

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Congrats to Garbine! :40beers: I was definitely impressed at how she recovered from losing four Championship points, and didn't let the double faults affect her subsequent games. Wimbledon is a lot to ask but I do think and hope she can become a consistent force.

Disappointing for Serena but I still fully expect she'll get #22 at least.

twinsissv

YAY...LOPEZ AND LOPEZ!!!
MEN'S DOUBLES CHAMPIONS!

:cheer2:Feliciano (you little cutie!):swoon: and Marc! :cheer2:
WHAT A DAY FOR SPAIN!!!

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I don't watch tennis often, but watched this one. Congrats to Muguruza! Glad her family moved from Caracas to Barcelona!

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Article entitled: 'Serena Williams Facing a New Reality After Falling Short at Another Grand Slam'. Reads:-

This is the hard truth: Serena Williams is not the dominant force in women's tennis anymore

You saw it Saturday in the French Open final—the last point. That's when you saw Williams' hopelessness and a little panic. She had a lob go over her head and turned to start running back to get it. Serena of five years ago could have run down that ball—would have run down that ball—and kept it in play.

Serena stopped running Saturday and stared at the line, hoping it would go out.

It stayed in. And Williams gave the nervous shrug of someone who isn't used to being out of control on a tennis court. Garbine Muguruza beat Williams 7-5, 6-4 at Roland Garros to win the 2016 French Open.

This was a day for hard truths for Williams. It is her new reality. She lost in the U.S. Open semifinal to a journeywoman, Roberta Vinci, with no particular weapon other than an ability to keep running all over the place and keep the ball in play. She lost the Australian Open final to Angelique Kerber, a career choker, because she could not move her feet fast anymore.

But on Saturday, it was something new, something that's hard to believe would ever happen. On Saturday, she was overpowered. Muguruza, a 6'0" 22-year-old, challenged Serena punch for punch, power for power. You would think it was about the dumbest strategy anyone could try against Williams

But Williams in her new reality can be overpowered.

To be clear—another hard truth—Williams is starting to fade

Last edited:

topaz

I am sad Serena lost. Serena did not use the other parts of her game that she has been developing over the last few years(no slices, no drop shots, did not use her angles). Her serve was predictable when she did get first serves in and the serve did not do her any favors today. I think Serena's 1st serve percentage for the match was around 50%. too. Granted Mugaruza played well, Serena did not anything to try to break up the pace of the shots. Honestly, I am not a fan of Mugaruza as I've seen her on several occassions "give up" during matches, several this year. Her ranking is what it is because of the Wimbledon Final and she played well during the end of last year when many of the top players were not playing.

Well, have to see but right now I don't see her having consistency in her game. She has only one other WTA title.

I still think Serena's nerves get to her more in the grand slam finals than other tourneys. She took the loss like a champ but you could tell it hurt her badly. She has been nagged with injuries the whole year. I think she needs to rest and get ready for Wimbledon. I'm sure Patrick will have her ready to go.

So many of the top ladies are injured(as are the men).

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
Andy fought to the end, but Novak too good today and he wins the calendar slam and his first French title (kind of hard to believe). :respect:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information