Looking ahead to 2021-2022 in Ice Dance

sap5

Because Prince isn't popular?
No. Prince is still popular. This is what I posted about the Shibs SD during that season. I still feel that the Shibs executed the hip hop concept much better than VM did, and because Olympic audiences are different from your normal figure skating audience, I was thinking their expectations of "hip hop" might be different.

Colonel Green

No. Prince is still popular. This is what I posted about the Shibs SD during that season. I still feel that the Shibs executed the hip hop concept much better than VM did, and because Olympic audiences are different from your normal figure skating audience, I was thinking their expectations of "hip hop" might be different.
I don’t think an Olympic audience would care at all; they just want cool programs, which “Prince” was.

sap5

I don’t think an Olympic audience would care at all; they just want cool programs, which “Prince” was.
I think there are a lot of different people in an Olympic audience; some who just want cool programs, but also many others who know a lot about blues, hip hop, and other dance forms and may look at attempts with a more critical eye. I'm not a hip hop expert, but I do know a bit about it, and in my eyes, VM's Prince was fun to watch, and well-skated, but it wasn't "cool," because it didn't really show an understanding of blues and hip hop. The Shibs SD was cool because it did show that understanding, even though it wasn't skated as well. That's the only point I'm trying to make -- I think the Shibs SD might have been the sensational one. But who knows?

VGThuy

Honestly, I thought the Latin SDs may have been a potential problem at the last Olympics, but it wasn’t. However, I can see some really bad hip hop dancing go viral on social media. The fact that skating isn’t the most diverse sport in terms of skin color will also be a possible issue. Either way, the teams better work. I wonder if there will be some leeway as it’s on ice and people are impressed with anything being translated to the ice.

VGThuy

sap5

Honestly, I thought the Latin SDs may have been a potential problem at the last Olympics, but it wasn’t. However, I can see some really bad hip hop dancing go viral on social media. The fact that skating isn’t the most diverse sport in terms of skin color will also be a possible issue. Either way, the teams better work. I wonder if there will be some leeway as it’s on ice and people are impressed with anything being translated to the ice.
I don’t know how many here have seen Elladj Balde’s recent skating clips, but he has really raised the bar when it comes to translating hip hop on to ice. With the way those clips have gone viral, I think there will be a lot of people who will be expecting to see something good. I want to see something that shows that the dance teams really researched the rhythm they have chosen and have understood that the rhythm probably requires more than just a couple of token moves on the ice.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
ISU Communication 2371 (03 February 2021) - Ice Dance Requirements for Technical Rules season 2021/22
A little late to this, but there’s a big change to the free dances. The character step sequence is now optional. Dancers can now choose any 3 of the choreographic elements. I think this is a big improvement. Most of the character step sequences are terrible, and they tended to force certain types of program construction involving a pause and a dramatic music change.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
A little late to this, but there’s a big change to the free dances. The character step sequence is now optional. Dancers can now choose from any 3 of the choreographic elements. I think this is a big improvement. Most of the character step sequences are terrible, and they tended to force certain types of program construction involving a pause and a dramatic music change.
This is the route the singles tech committee should’ve gone as soon as the dance committee instituted the basics. I think the footwork and spins being so similar between programs in singles could be done away with, turning the long into a more ‘free’ program with different types of elements that fulfill a criteria - from a list just as dance has done.

manhn

The General Public don’t put much emphasis on cool. They enjoyed Coldplay and Moulin Rouge.

I expect a lot of Weeknd, his music has a more smooth aesthetic. None of the top dancers are particularly skilled when it comes to the more staccato style of music.

Last edited:

mjb52

So does this mean we are less likely to see the "two pieces of music jammed together" programs? I don't mind multiple pieces of music if it works, I just don't want anyone to be compelled to do it if they'd rather use a single piece.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
This is the route the singles tech committee should’ve gone as soon as the dance committee instituted the basics. I think the footwork and spins being so similar between programs in singles could be done away with, turning the long into a more ‘free’ program with different types of elements that fulfill a criteria - from a list just as dance has done.

I’d love to see two of the spins in the free become unleveled, even reduce the jumping passes from 7 to 6, replacing the one with an unleveled “jump” element like a falling leaf split jump, or a sequence of 5 or 6 jumps, like one starting with an inside axel with subsequent salchows and eulers.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
So does this mean we are less likely to see the "two pieces of music jammed together" programs? I don't mind multiple pieces of music if it works, I just don't want anyone to be compelled to do it if they'd rather use a single piece.
No, because there’s still a requirement for there to be a tempo/rhythm change.

Music must have at least one obvious change of tempo/rhythm and expression. This change may be gradual or immediate, but in either case it must be obvious.

VGThuy

I’d love to see two of the spins in the free become unleveled, even reduce the jumping passes from 7 to 6, replacing the one with an unleveled “jump” element like a falling leaf split jump, or a sequence of 5 or 6 jumps, like one starting with an inside axel with subsequent salchows and eulers.
Love these suggestions. Anything to make the free skate different from the short program. However, with more unleveled elements and such, would there be a danger of putting more power into the judges’ hands and out of the tech committee? Well, I guess it’s not such a big deal with singles where are so many jumping passes.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Love these suggestions. Anything to make the free skate different from the short program. However, with more unleveled elements and such, would there be a danger of putting more power into the judges’ hands and out of the tech committee? Well, I guess it’s not such a big deal with singles where are so many jumping passes.
You mean the top skaters getting +4 and +5 for simplistic and basic choreographic elements? Well, that never happens with the ChSq, so.... 😆

topaz

I think like last time, the US teams will most likely use hip hop while other countries will be looking into other genres. I also expect some Michael Jackson.
Girl, on a personal note I just can't stomach any MJ music. I feel the same about R Kelly. Both artists' music are part of my childhood, teens and early adult history. It's sad that every time I hear their music now, nothing but repulsive thoughts come to mind.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

I think like last time, the US teams will most likely use hip hop while other countries will be looking into other genres. I also expect some Michael Jackson.
Eh, don't be surprised if Tilly and Will or Chantelle and Andrew skate to the Hilltop Hoods.

Kostin

I have to admit, I'm not sure "urban dance rhythms" is the best choice for the rhythm dance right now. I can see a lot of potential for insensitive racial stereotyping and cultural appropriation, even if it's unintended.

And this is just asking for trouble: "To comply with the ethical values of sports, any music chosen for Ice Dance competitions must not include aggressive and/or offending lyrics." Aggressive and/or offending to who?
Did ISU really use the phrase 'urban dance rhythms' in the original Communication text for Rhythm Dance 2021/2022? They appear to have revised the phrasing; maybe someone informed them that referring to music as 'urban' is démodée/borderline cringey, though I'm not sure calling it 'street' is really preferable.

VGThuy

When I worked at Barnes and Noble over ten years ago, we used to have a popular “urban fiction” section. Apparently, they no longer have it and have now just put it in regular fiction. I didn’t ask my friends who still worked there if they out LGBTQ fiction in the general fiction area as well.

Sylvia

TBD
The Ice Dance Technical Committee has announced [May 6, 2021] updates to the current ongoing requirements, valid as of July 1st, 2021: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/8...dity-effective-july-1st-2021?templateParam=15

Requirements for Technical Rules with ongoing validity, effective July 1st, 2021:

1. Calling specifications and Levels of Difficulty for Required Elements (Novice, Junior, Senior)
2. Marking guide for Grades of Execution of Required Elements (Novice, Junior, Senior)
3. Marking guide for Components for Rhythm Dance (Junior, Senior)Marking guide for Components for Rhythm Dance (Junior, Senior)and Free Dance (Novice, Junior, Senior)
4. Deduction Chart – Who is Responsible – Rhythm Dance and Free Dance (Junior, Senior)
5. Explanation of Symbols on the Judges Details Per Skater (Junior, Senior)
6. Pattern Dance and Pattern Dance Element information for season 2021/22Pattern Dance and Pattern Dance Element information for season 2021/22 (Includes the Percentage of steps for Pattern Dance and Pattern Dance Elements)
7. Amendment to the Scale of Values for the Advanced Novice Pattern Dance Westminster Waltz and the Rhythm Dance Pattern Dance Elements for Junior and Senior for 2021/22.
8. Additional clarifications to Communication 2371 for the Rhythm Dance for season 2021/22

Scales of Values for the Required Elements are published in Communication 2256 and are valid for season 2021/22.

For further details, read the full ISU Communication 2393. This communication will be updated following the Members mail vote approval in June 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information