Looking ahead to 2021-2022 in Ice Dance

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I have to admit, I'm not sure "urban dance rhythms" is the best choice for the rhythm dance right now. I can see a lot of potential for insensitive racial stereotyping and cultural appropriation, even if it's unintended.

And this is just asking for trouble: "To comply with the ethical values of sports, any music chosen for Ice Dance competitions must not include aggressive and/or offending lyrics." Aggressive and/or offending to who?

starrynight

How do you do, fellow kids?

lol

Everyone will just do disco, jazz and swing programs anyway to keep on the safe side.

And this is just asking for trouble: "To comply with the ethical values of sports, any music chosen for Ice Dance competitions must not include aggressive and/or offending lyrics." Aggressive and/or offending to who?

Probably to weed out the rap and hip hop songs that use expletives, reference drug use, violence, use slurs etc.

Orm Irian

Probably to weed out the rap and hip hop songs that use expletives, reference drug use, violence, use slurs etc.

Oh, that will depend on the type of violence and the...'respectability'...of the rapper. 'Ten Crack Commandments'? Not going to be acceptable. 'Ten Duel Commandments'? Even though it's a direct draw on and intentional homage to 'Ten Crack Commandments' and is about killing people by the rules, it will be perfectly acceptable. Its Broadway origins will wash all sins away.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Every season there are programs using "Greased Lightning" which has explicit sexual references in the lyrics. But the ISU has never cracked down on that.

Specifying that "aggressive and/or offending lyrics" are not permitted only when the dance rhythm is "urban" is not a good look. Not to mention that if musicians make a song like NWA's "F*** tha Police", the lyrics have expletives because the song is about something that makes them angry.

starrynight

Do we want the ‘f word’ blaring over speakers at ice dance events though? There’s a time and place for all forms of artistic expression.

Again all the skaters are just going to play it safe with disco and swing programs so I doubt it’s a big deal.

Colonel Green

Do we want the ‘f word’ blaring over speakers at ice dance events though?
That's already against the rules.

As far as the concern about how these programs were go, we already did this Midnight Blues plus hip-hop thing a few seasons ago and it was very well-received on the whole, so I wouldn't be too worried. And it's not like a reasonable amount of this music isn't already being used in the other disciplines (or in free dances).

Erin

Banned Member
Given that Gadbois edited the main words out of “Sex Bomb”, I’ll be curious to see how much they edit out of this theme.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The rhythms & required pattern dance element for juniors and seniors for next season have been announced:

So this is it for the Beijing Olympics -Rap? Sorry to be Ye Olde Cynic but...Is this the ISU’s way of declaring that it is “Oh, so inclusive!”???? Or a desperate grab at pop-culture ratings? I guess that Strauss Waltzes just don’t cut it anymore. Sigh.

Colonel Green

So this is it for the Beijing Olympics -Rap? Sorry to be Ye Olde Cynic but...Is this the ISU’s way of declaring that it is “Oh, so inclusive!”???? Or a desperate grab at pop-culture ratings? I guess that Strauss Waltzes just don’t cut it anymore. Sigh.
This is the same theme as 2016/17.

But yes, they surely are hoping it will boost appeal. V/M’s Prince program would probably have been a sensation if it had been an Olympic program.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Communication 2371 (03 February 2021) - Ice Dance Requirements for Technical Rules season 2021/22

It is a requirement for certain Technical Rules to be announced annually by the Ice Dance Technical Committee and all
other rules are published in Special Regulations & Technical Rules:

- Requirements defined in the Technical Rules to be announced annually:

-Rhythms or themes, Required Elements (including Key Points and Key Point Features for Pattern Dance Elements) and guidelines for Rhythm Dance – Junior/Senior,
-Required Elements for Free Dance – Junior/Senior

- All requirements related to Novice categories are published in the updated for season 2021/22 ISU
Communication ICE DANCE - GUIDELINES FOR INTERNATIONAL NOVICE COMPETITIONS

- Updates to the current ongoing requirements, valid as of July 1st, 2021, will be published in a subsequent
Communication.

Last edited:

sap5

This is the same theme as 2016/17.

But yes, they surely are hoping it will boost appeal. V/M’s Prince program would probably have been a sensation if it had been an Olympic program.
I don’t think it would have been. There wasn’t any true hip hop in that program. I would have loved to see the Olympic audience reaction to the Shibs SD though, because at least from a music remix standpoint, that program was on point (though I don’t know how it sounded in the arena).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Give me a break, Duhamel/Radford skated to an ADELE song that said shit twice in the program throughout 1.5 seasons. But I’m sure that wasn’t a problem, because Adele is just lovely!

Teens like rap, R&B, hip hop whatever genre you want to pick all over the world. It was that way when I was young and it’s no different now.

There’s this constant ‘but skating doesn’t do enough to get new fans!’ but then ‘Don’t do ANYTHING that may appeal to younger audiences’ because apparently all hip hop has endless swearing. Sounds like some people just personally are offended by a style of music they don’t like ;)

Look at the ball culture of the drag world (it has blown up) and the songs that the queens are performing to. I’m not saying go way over the top with the most extreme offensive lyrics, but trying to expand types of dances and maybe even get more people interested in the sport is not a bad thing in any way.

Last edited:

topaz

Madison and Zach stated they are looking at using hip hop. It worked out very well for them last time.

However, I would like to see them try disco or funk. Disco would really showcase their edge quality and power. I have some song choices I think would fit their style very well.

I just hope the Key Points and Key Point Features for Pattern Dance mesh better than have been.

VGThuy

I think like last time, the US teams will most likely use hip hop while other countries will be looking into other genres. I also expect some Michael Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information