Loads of talent but not enough success to match it

Bigbird

Early in his career, I thought Roman Sadovsky might be able to be the one to break the curse, but he is such a headcase.
Is it that they struggle to take it one element at a time during competition? Would be curious to find out the secret to Nathan Chen's seemingly superior mental strength.

Vagabond

John Misha Petkevich
Laëtitia Hubert
Júlia Sebestyén

Viktória Pavuk flashed great talent when she finished fourth at Europeans in 2004. The advent of COP and a series of injuries doomed her. :(

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
John Misha Petkevich
Laëtitia Hubert
Júlia Sebestyén

Viktória Pavuk flashed great talent when she finished fourth at Europeans in 2004. The advent of COP and a series of injuries doomed her. :(
I think Petkevich won a world bronze. That was about what he was capable of, from the fs video I saw. I never saw him skate. Way before my time. Hubert got lucky early in her career but I never thought of her as great talent. Julia Seb did underachieve, I think.

bardtoob

But in Miss Kwiatkowski's case,most of the cause of her lack of success came down to unfortunate internal USFSA politics.
She should have gone to the 1998 Olympics. However, she was doing herself no favors until 1996, when she actually started springing off those technically exaggerated jump entrances.
In the same vein as Patrick, we could almost add Kurt Browning to the list.

Did Stojko thrive tho?

Stojko managed to grab silver, and he handles competition nerves better than Chan.

Stojko had two clean programs at an Olympics, 1992, and I think it really did not sit well with him for the rest of his career that his marks were wild and clearly political in the LP. He was literally given whatever marks preserved the previous placements in the competition, as if he did not even skate the LP when he was the final skater of the night. This judging really made figure skating look like it wasn't a sport.

On the other hand, Patrick, who I adored, pissed away years when he could have been technically developing being fed snake oil while having his ego stroked by Madame Dance Lady.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I think Petkevich won a world bronze. That was about what he was capable of, from the fs video I saw. I never saw him skate. Way before my time.

He never won a world medal.

He was regarded by most of his peers as one of the best skaters ever. Just because he didn't do the high-level jumps and spins that skaters do now doesn't mean he wasn't a great skater. There is a story that Dick Button gave him a trophy that Button had been given by Ulrich Salchow, to recognize how admired Petkevich was. Petkevich later passed the trophy on to Paul Wylie.

Petkevich also wrote one of the best skating instructional books ever: https://www.amazon.com/Books-John-Misha-Petkevich/s?rh=n:283155,p_27:John+Misha+Petkevich

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information