Las Vegas, Nevada to host 2019 Skate America!

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I'm checking in with my "mother-in-law-in-law" (my sister's mother in law, who also loves me) to see if she'll be at her Vegas home during that time, and if Charley and I could stay there if so. If I have free lodging, yep, I'm a sure bet!

Carolla5501

What someone said up-thread about 'people wanting to go just because it's Vegas' came home to roost for me! LOL, Mr. Doggy said "maybe I'll go too!" Now that sounds really nice on the surface! And Mr. Doggy is a fabulous husband and also happens to be my best friend! But he is NOT a figure skating fan, and is NOT a fan of watching other people in athletic competition! So I had to figure out a way to nicely nix this idea so I can go and binge watch practices and competition to my hearts content!

So here is what I think we will do.

The weekend before SA, we will both head to Vegas and see some shows, etc. that weekend. Mr. Doggy has to be home during the week for his business, so he would go back home Sunday night. I would then stay on and relax during the first part of the week (perhaps do some sight seeing - anything but gambling) and then enjoy SA the following weekend.

So for those of you who know the area well, if you were in Vegas for a few extra days by yourself, is there any sight seeing in particular you would do? Is there anywere you would really love to stay? I love to enjoy beautiful surroundings and do sight seeing, etc. during the day time. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me as I plan this trip!

Rent a car. Go to Red Rocks Canyon.!!!!! Beautiful.

Hoover Dam and the lake

Neon Museum

Day trip to Grand Canyon. (It’s a long day with not much time at the canyon)

Shopping

Fine arts exhibition at Bellagio. (Changes fairly often) also their garden and sculpture

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So I happened to comment to the bf and some of my co workers that I might be going to Vegas in October. As of now there are 10 people joining the trip and they’re looking at Airbnb options. None of them know anything about skating but they all want to join me. Maybe this is the key to increasing the popularity of skating. Just host all competitions in Vegas :lol:

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Rent a car. Go to Red Rocks Canyon.!!!!! Beautiful.

Hoover Dam and the lake

Neon Museum

Day trip to Grand Canyon. (It’s a long day with not much time at the canyon)

Shopping

Fine arts exhibition at Bellagio. (Changes fairly often) also their garden and sculpture

Thank you so much @Carolla5501 ! Lots of great options to think about. I have flown over the Grand Canyon many times but have never seen it up close and personal. Now I'm thinking maybe I should take the early part of the week and go to the canyon and stay a night or two in that area. If I were to think seriously about that, is there anywhere with a spectacular view I should consider staying?

Last edited:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Doggygirl,
places like this do helicopter tours and land at the base of the Grand Canyon. I did one once about 10-12 years ago, and they landed in the canyon, we had lunch and could walk around some, go down by the river, etc. Might be worth your while ETA: it's quite a bit more expensive these days!

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Doggygirl,
places like this do helicopter tours and land at the base of the Grand Canyon. I did one once about 10-12 years ago, and they landed in the canyon, we had lunch and could walk around some, go down by the river, etc. Might be worth your while ETA: it's quite a bit more expensive these days!

Thanks @Kasey ! Sounds like it might be a once in a lifetime type adventure! I appreciate all of these suggestions and perhaps they will help others as well who are considering Vegas in October!

Carolla5501

Thank you so much @Carolla5501 ! Lots of great options to think about. I have flown over the Grand Canyon many times but have never seen it up close and personal. Now I'm thinking maybe I should take the early part of the week and go to the canyon and stay a night or two in that area. If I were to think seriously about that, is there anywhere with a spectacular view I should consider staying?

I just did the day trip. (We drove. But it was a big group). I know the park service has lodging. I’d try to stay there

I’ll dig up more ideas. I spent 3 months there a few years ago cleaning up a mess for work. Stayed several weekends and now have friends there 😁

Doggygirl

Banned Member
I just did the day trip. (We drove. But it was a big group). I know the park service has lodging. I’d try to stay there

I’ll dig up more ideas. I spent 3 months there a few years ago cleaning up a mess for work. Stayed several weekends and now have friends there 😁

Cool that you were there long enough to make long term friends! I used to travel a lot for business, but it was always in and out quickly to a blur of different places. Thanks for your help with ideas and recommendations!

Messalina

Vegas in October! I'm so there! It's only 1.5 hours from Denver by air. Finally an event that's doable for me! The last one was 2016 Boston Worlds.

I want to stay right in the Orleans so I can FINALLY attend practices and waste no time traveling back and forth from hotel to arena. (4CC would have been GREAT too. But I just cancelled my Anaheim hotel reservation, which I made a million years ago - seems like - because my brother is visiting from China for the first time in 2 years. The sacrifices I make for family :saint:.)

Will there be any chance at a group rate on rooms? Along with an all-event ticket? Or is the ticket sale date too late to wait to reserve a room?

Mr. Messalina is making noises about coming along too. We could stay for free on the strip, he says, and he could "gamble all night and shoot machine guns and drive around in ATVs all day." Hmmm, diverging interests much?

b-man

I used to go to Vegas pretty often, but it's been a few years and I don't remember the resort fees being so high. It's kind of outrageous, really, that they can get away with this. Keep in mind these are charged daily on top of the room rate and taxes. This list seems fairly current. There are a small handful of places without fees but they may not end up being any cheaper or more convenient, from what I found.

https://www.vegasunzipped.com/vegas-resort-fees/

Agree with this. Resort fees are a recent phenomenon employed now by almost every Vegas hotel, even if you don't think it qualifies as a "resort." The fees are usually listed separately in fine print, often run $30-$40 per day, and are often collected separately at check in after the non initiated thinks they have already paid in full when booking.

b-man

Agree with this. Resort fees are a recent phenomenon employed now by almost every Vegas hotel, even if you don't think it qualifies as a "resort." The fees are usually listed separately in fine print, often run $30-$40 per day, and are often collected separately at check in after the non initiated thinks they have already paid in full when booking.

Also, Vegas has a 13% tax on hotels, so a hotel with a nominal $100 rate may cost $140+ per night with tax and resort fee.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I stayed at the Orleans about 10 years ago, in late summer. My memories of that trip are rather...hazy...however I remember it was nice-ish, but in a slightly trashy way (which is totally my aesthetic anyways). :p

I was moderately annoyed with how far away from the strip it was. Especially in the age before Uber/Lyft Plus I’d be drenched in sweat walking anywhere in the middle of summer for more than 10 minutes.

Sadly Celine is ending her Vegas residency before Skate America, but I just heard Christina Aguilera is starting this summer. :love: Here’s hoping we get some more Candyman or Burlesque programs next season! :p

Last edited:

sk8pics

I am thinking I may go to this.... have to ponder my travel plans for later this years...

peibeck

Simply looking
Sadly Celine is ending her Vegas residency before Skate America, but I just heard Christina Aguilera is starting this summer. :love: Here’s hoping we get some more Candyman or Burlesque programs next season! :p

No more Candyman or Burlesque! :lynch:

Lady Gaga has a sitting show there now, but I have no idea what the schedule is like.

Cher was on her umpteenth farewell tour the last time I was there. But I see she is back again. :lol: If people want to catch shows though, they should plan on coming a day (or several) ahead. Many name acts don't perform every night and the shows generally are around 8 p.m. (though some shows may have multiple shows a night say at 7 and 10) when the skating is still going on.

I can't rave enough about Wicked Spoon, the buffet at The Cosmopolitan. Very pricey but the food is :swoon:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Hmmmm, I haven't been to a GP event in a little while....might be time to change that with SA being in a city that I've never been to and have always wanted to visit. Definitely thinking about making this trip! :cheer:

Doggygirl

Banned Member
I would totally be up for seeing Gaga or Christina A. or Cher!!! So if anyone ends up going out early and wants some company to one of those shows - whatever one might be in Vegas at the time - let me know!! BRING THE BURLESQUE! :lol: :lol: :glamor:

b-man

I'd much rather pay $100 hotel rate + $40 resort fee in Vegas than $200 for a Best Western in Spokane.
As would I. I've been to Vegas the last 3 years and may do SA as well. I've already got tickets for Greensboro, and there is also Montreal Worlds to consider. My post was only intended to give disclosure, as I don't like mandatory fees being hidden in the fine print.

all_empty

Wicked Spoon at the Cosmo is just okay. The Wynn is better but the lines are long. The very best buffet ... well, PM me and I'll tell you because I don't want it to get crowded. But it's about half the price of the big names and the food is excellent.

There's lots to do in Vegas.

I second Red Rocks, which isn't even 20 minutes off The Strip. I've been there many times, including a scooter tour which is tons of fun.

For beautiful views of the Strip, ride the High Roller, which is the world's tallest observation wheel. Go at sunset for the most spectacular views (and it's cheaper than the night prices).

My top tip? Pick up one of the coupon books at the airport or your hotel. And then look on Groupon. There's tons of deals to be had. Hotels have great deals too. MGM has an option to do three of their attractions for $57. I ended up doing a day pass at Circus Circus, the Mandalay Bay Aquarium, and the Excalibur 4D theater.

I usually Uber instead of taxi because the taxis all add a service charge. Vegas is very walkable especially if you stay by the Strip. I'll probably go but I'm pretty bougie and don't care for the Orleans.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling

Stay right in the park of the south rim there are several options from very rustic to more luxurious. I’ve stayed several times from lodge to cabin to motel, all inside the actual park but book now as it fills very quick. But so worth it.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wonder if Alysa Liu will be invited to skate before and/or after every event?

Elaborating on my own post:
By the time that Skate America begins, the JGP will have wrapped up...so we’ll know Alysa Liu’s results and impact. If she’s at the top of the standings, you can bet that at least she’ll be invited to the exhibition gala.

chewy

High Roller in a Bar Car I think should be the FSU meetup. All you can drink in about a half hour. groupon is the best deal, it matches what you can get if staying at a caesars property.

I've got CET comps, this is doable. How much are All event tickets usually?

all_empty

High Roller in a Bar Car I think should be the FSU meetup. All you can drink in about a half hour. groupon is the best deal, it matches what you can get if staying at a caesars property.

I've got CET comps, this is doable. How much are All event tickets usually?

The bar car is super fun.

Just be warned you have to "jump out" at the end. I managed four drinks during the ride -- and one for the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information