Kurt Browning and Sonia Rodriguez

Sonata

Not sure if he is part owner of CSOI - I always thought it was an IMG production, and given that he is a long term client and has a decades-long association with the tour, I’m not surprised they make him the headliner. (My IMG info may be outdated.) He is still a draw - I went with a non skating fan friend to Canadian championships and her eyes opened wide when she saw him - she didn’t care about the Olympians!

He is extremely supportive of younger skaters and many of his peers (Kristi Yamaguchi, Josee Chouinard) credit him with boosting their confidence while training with him. I’ve never met the guy, but to me that speaks to a generous spirit and low ego. It may not come off that way due to his joking personality, which seems unchanged since his early twenties.

The only drawback to his commentary is him being paired with Carol Lane. Otherwise I find his commentary fine. Pretty much no one can be Tracy Wilson.

Judy

All of our Canadian commentators are at a disadvantage being compared to Tracy Wilson - ostensibly one the best there is. So if she's at the top of the scale, Kurt would be... not there. patc's note was a great reminder of what we used to be subjected to. :lol: Paul Martini was bruuuutal, for example, and I couldn't stand Debbie Wilkes' chatter. Kurt isn't that bad either.

As to seeing him shilling reverse mortgages, how soon we forget the house fire insurance may not have played ball fully on reimbursement. :shuffle:

He is a multi millionaire - insurance would have covered it.

Danidin

Very sad news. But somehow I've never felt Sonia is right person for Kurt. And he seems depressed in his interviews, but I thought it might be because of his age and farewell to skating.

snoopysnake

I noticed the missing wedding ring so I did wonder. :(

My 7 year-old son saw the reverse mortgage commercial and after Kurt did the backflip he exclaimed "I'm going to do a back flip too when I am 55." :rofl:

And yeah, my husband said the same thing that he can't believe Kurt is doing those commercials.

Kurt Browning is NOT 55 yet! Not that I expect your 7-year old to know this!

skategal

Bunny mama
Kurt Browning is NOT 55 yet! Not that I expect your 7-year old to know this!

I'm a huge Kurt fan so I know exactly when his birthday is and how old he is. :cheer2:

The reverse mortgage commercial keeps saying over and over again "if you're 55+ you may be eligible...."

And my son understood the commercial to be that if you are 55 years old that you are allowed to do a backflip on skates. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Japanfan

Paul Martini was bruuuutal, for example, and I couldn't stand Debbie Wilkes' chatter. Kurt isn't that bad either.

Martini interviewed the skaters at Worlds for CBC.

I've never particularly liked him, but he was just terrible - a marked difference from how I recall him in the past when he commentated on American TV.

His speech was very forced and wooden, as if he had a painful canker in her mouth or a bad tooth.

Last edited:

livetoskate

Very sad news. But somehow I've never felt Sonia is right person for Kurt. And he seems depressed in his interviews, but I thought it might be because of his age and farewell to skating.
I recall reading on Skatefans many years ago a rumor of an affair between Kurt and another skater. But I don't know these people in real life; plenty of people seem "happily married" in the public eye, and who knows what's going on for real. Best of luck to the whole family, and if there was no media coverage of their divorce, that's for the best.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
I recall reading on Skatefans many years ago a rumor of an affair between Kurt and another skater. But I don't know these people in real life; plenty of people seem "happily married" in the public eye, and who knows what's going on for real. Best of luck to the whole family, and if there was no media coverage of their divorce, that's for the best.

Yeah, I remember that rumor too. I don't remember who it was but it was rumored that the other skater was also on SOI, won two Olympic gold medals and was recently widowed. I can't remember who it possibly could have been.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Yeah, I remember that rumor too. I don't remember who it was but it was rumored that the other skater was also on SOI, won two Olympic gold medals and was recently widowed. I can't remember who it possibly could have been.

The heinous troll of RSSIF whose posting name began with "a" but otherwise should not be named would be able to help you with that one.

Judy

Well that would be Katia right. I don’t buy into gossip though.

livetoskate

I didn't want to name names, after being warned on another forum for noting that another skater must've gotten divorced because he was no longer wearing his wedding ring.

skategal

Bunny mama

jenniferlyon

The heinous troll of RSSIF whose posting name began with "a" but otherwise should not be named would be able to help you with that one.

Indeed, that poster shall not be named. I do remember her name, though. For some reason, she never messed with me. I guess she was too busy trolling everyone else over there.

Winnipeg

Divorce doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing. If they are both happier and the kids are "first" for both of them and also are happy then.............

Their kids are really cute............do either of them FS competitively?

Chris Every? She was a big tennis player in the 70s - she must be in her 70s now?

Vagabond

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information