Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

SkatingLover

Oh, I missed the part when he said they wouldn’t be sharing ice time.

Yes, I understand that famous coaches have several too athletes. But I was hoping that Plushenko, who is not yet a top coach but is still making a name for himself, would make it “project Trusova” and will pour into her all of his resources.

Natanielle825

Brian Orser said in an interview that he asked Javier before taking on Yuzuru so now it's what we expect coaches to do I think. But still, if Trusova wasn't ok with Kostornaia being there she would just leave, so obviously Plushenko knew she would be.

hanca

Values her privacy
Brian Orser said in an interview that he asked Javier before taking on Yuzuru so now it's what we expect coaches to do I think. But still, if Trusova wasn't ok with Kostornaia being there she would just leave, so obviously Plushenko knew she would be.
Just theoretically, Trusova couldn’t just leave any time she wants to. Russian skaters have some time window for moves and it has to be finalised by the end of May. When it isn’t, the skater can be punished. That’s why Kostornaya has the problems now. So I doubt that Trusova would want to get herself in trouble too, even if she was not happy about the situation. I mean, would her new coaching team mind that they won’t get the funding for her? Pluschenko may be able to afford it with Kostornaya, but are there any other coaches who would be able to afford it if Trusova wanted to leave outside the transfer period?

Natanielle825

Just theoretically, Trusova couldn’t just leave any time she wants to. Russian skaters have some time window for moves and it has to be finalised by the end of May. When it isn’t, the skater can be punished. That’s why Kostornaya has the problems now. So I doubt that Trusova would want to get herself in trouble too, even if she was not happy about the situation. I mean, would her new coaching team mind that they won’t get the funding for her? Pluschenko may be able to afford it with Kostornaya, but are there any other coaches who would be able to afford it if Trusova wanted to leave outside the transfer period?
I'm just saying, there's no rationale for Plushenko to agree to coach trusova then immediately piss her off by agreeing to coach her nemesis. And I thought Trusova has said publicly that she's fine with it?

Colonel Green

I believe Orser said that that was a special circumstance and he normally doesn't feel the need to do that, so I don't think coaches are really expected to -- now of course, they may choose to anyway depending on what the relationship is like, etc.

I think that sometimes, having more than one top competitor under the same coach means that they push each other. Thinking Virtue/Moir | Davis / White, for example.
Canton also eventually exploded in an inferno of bruised egos, so that would also be an example of how such arrangements don't necessarily work in the long-run.

hanca

Values her privacy
I believe Orser said that that was a special circumstance and he normally doesn't feel the need to do that, so I don't think coaches are really expected to -- now of course, they may choose to anyway depending on what the relationship is like, etc.

Canton also eventually exploded in an inferno of bruised egos, so that would also be an example of how such arrangements don't necessarily work in the long-run.
But they lasted long enough. Ladies won’t have as long career on top as how long Canton dancers lasted, so all they need to manage is this and next season!

Sylvia

TBD
Alena's first words on this topic (after her SP test skate in Moscow today):

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
She seems so wise and level-headed. I wish the best for her.

I was a little surprised that Mr. Positivity, Ted Barton, found negative things to say about both her and Trusova while ignoring Anna S.' faults.

Last edited:

Scott512

I was very sad when Aliona left TT and Eteri. it was beyond shocking because she was always sayng great things about Eteri as a coach and person. I think Aliona would have won worlds and stayed at TT if worlds wasnt cancelled because of C19. But she is growing up and wants more say and attention and with so many super skaters at Sambo 70 Alionas needs would have to shared with so many other skaters needs. I think she sort of outgrew TT and in reality thats okay. I am so sorry worlds was cancelled. That would have been Alionas to win. I think losing her jumps with not training with her coaches on ice for 4 months also was a deciding factor to leave. She think Sergei Rozanov can hep her get her 3A back. I hope he can.

At test skates I was shocked Aliona took Eteri on and basically brought the verbal brass knuckles to her former coach! 😜 This girl is only 5 feet tall but she stands tall and stands up for herself. I wish I could have done that to a boss or 2 the past few years. ;)

I can only say good luck to Aliona at Plushenko Academy. I hope she finds her form soon.

feraina

I was very sad when Aliona left TT and Eteri. it was beyond shocking because she was always sayng great things about Eteri as a coach and person. I think Aliona would have won worlds and stayed at TT if worlds wasnt cancelled because of C19. But she is growing up and wants more say and attention and with so many super skaters at Sambo 70 Alionas needs would have to shared with so many other skaters needs. I think she sort of outgrew TT and in reality thats okay. I am so sorry worlds was cancelled. That would have been Alionas to win. I think losing her jumps with not training with her coaches on ice for 4 months also was a deciding factor to leave. She think Sergei Rozanov can hep her get her 3A back. I hope he can.

At test skates I was shocked Aliona took Eteri on and basically brought the verbal brass knuckles to her former coach! 😜 This girl is only 5 feet tall but she stands tall and stands up for herself. I wish I could have done that to a boss or 2 the past few years. ;)

I can only say good luck to Aliona at Plushenko Academy. I hope she finds her form soon.

Hopefully Eteri is too preoccupied with Medvedeva right now to try to get back at Aliona... She looks truly thrilled to get Medvedeva back again, and maybe teach "everyone" a lesson or two: Medvedeva herself, the other former students who left her.

Scott512

Hopefully Eteri is too preoccupied with Medvedeva right now to try to get back at Aliona... She looks truly thrilled to get Medvedeva back again, and maybe teach "everyone" a lesson or two: Medvedeva herself, the other former students who left her.
For sure Eteri is too pre occupied to get back at Aliona. There is nothing she can do to Aliona. It would look bad if she said anything else bad about Aliona. Its up to Alena to get her jumps back with her favorite technical coach Rozanov.

Bigbird

She seems so wise and level-headed. I wish the best for her.

I was a little surprised that Mr. Positivity, Ted Barton, found negative things to say about both her and Trusova while ignoring Anna S.' faults.
Another Eteribot.

In his eyes, she can do no wrong.

Tinami Amori

I was very sad when Aliona left TT and Eteri. it was beyond shocking because she was always sayng great things about Eteri as a coach and person.
For the record, i noticed a lot of elements in Aliona's behavior which i did not like for the last 3 years that she was with Eteri. So this is not about her living Eteri, but her attitude.

Things are heating up between Aliona and Sasha and 2nd coaches... They are not getting alone, other coaches are getting involved and taking sides. Aliona left Khrystalny club exactly because she did not get alone with a few skaters (some well known skaters, even young ones, novices). Kostornaya needs to buy her own ice rink and a coach, then she will not have to bully 11-year olds.

Let me just post and translate a conversation from a private russian chat between rink insiders, about Aliona and Sasha and the situation at Pluschenko's rinks

person A: Rozanov.... what about Rozanov, after Kostornaya switched (to Angels of Pluschenko), yes there was a conflict, and she and Sasha kept away from each other even during warm-ups. It's for a reason that it is Mikhailov who worked with her on a fish-pole (on her jumps), and now he is her second coach. He sure had razed his rank from a junior ice dancer to the coach of the queen of quads.

person B: I was following a twitter for a while of a woman who is hosting one of the Sasha's fan-pages (now she closed that account). This woman is very involved and in direct communication with Sasha, so it appears. Well, somewhere in the middle of august, i noticed, she abruptly changed her approach/attitude/comments towards Rozanov, and took a diametrically opposite approach (negative approach). As well, it seems that some kind of conflict took place with Evgeniy and Sasha, seemed like Sasha felt she is being shoved behind (Kostornaya). As it looked to me at that time she started to work mostly with Mikhailova and Elena (Ilinykh). The coldness between Sasha and Evgeniy was also noticeable today just by looking. In any case, it seems that things are not that smooth. But Sasha did well today anyway.

Scott512

For the record, i noticed a lot of elements in Aliona's behavior which i did not like for the last 3 years that she was with Eteri. So this is not about her living Eteri, but her attitude.

Things are heating up between Aliona and Sasha and 2nd coaches... They are not getting alone, other coaches are getting involved and taking sides. Aliona left Khrystalny club exactly because she did not get alone with a few skaters (some well known skaters, even young ones, novices). Kostornaya needs to buy her own ice rink and a coach, then she will not have to bully 11-year olds.

Let me just post and translate a conversation from a private russian chat between rink insiders, about Aliona and Sasha and the situation at Pluschenko's rinks

person A: Rozanov.... what about Rozanov, after Kostornaya switched (to Angels of Pluschenko), yes there was a conflict, and she and Sasha kept away from each other even during warm-ups. It's for a reason that it is Mikhailov who worked with her on a fish-pole (on her jumps), and now he is her second coach. He sure had razed his rank from a junior ice dancer to the coach of the queen of quads.

person B: I was following a twitter for a while of a woman who is hosting one of the Sasha's fan-pages (now she closed that account). This woman is very involved and in direct communication with Sasha, so it appears. Well, somewhere in the middle of august, i noticed, she abruptly changed her approach/attitude/comments towards Rozanov, and took a diametrically opposite approach (negative approach). As well, it seems that some kind of conflict took place with Evgeniy and Sasha, seemed like Sasha felt she is being shoved behind (Kostornaya). As it looked to me at that time she started to work mostly with Mikhailova and Elena (Ilinykh). The coldness between Sasha and Evgeniy was also noticeable today just by looking. In any case, it seems that things are not that smooth. But Sasha did well today anyway.
This is both interesting and upsetting. I am disappointed there may be a real conflict between Sasha and Aliona. Sasha and Aliona got along fine at TT and they did a couple years of photo shoots and videos playing around then with 3A and 4A including Alina. I also dont like they cant skate on the same ice at Plushenkos. I guess Sasha may feel betrayed Evgeni brought in Aliona when Sasha left TT because there were so many good girl skaters there. I though Plushy would focus on Sasha and Rozanov focus on Aliona. This way they could both be hapy. How could Plushy turn down Alena? She was like a gift from the skating Gods for hia academy.

These 2 girls bring such joy to us fans I dont want them in any distress. I think Aliona made a mistake leaving Eteri over not wanting to skate on the ice with children. Hey she may return to TT some day too. ;) But her skills are so high if they return Aliona will be great again. But she lost her jumps during the pandemic. Such a shame.

Plushy better not bring in any more of Eteris girls or he will hear about it. ;)

I think Sasha is at the point where maybe she doesnt want friends she wants results and to dominate Alion and Eteris girls.

Tinami Amori

I think Sasha is at the point where maybe she doesnt want friends she wants results and to dominate Alion and Eteris girls.
Sasha wants to dominate all skaters, men and women... :) Aliona and Sasha were always friendly, but they had a rivalry. Once when on a podium when Aliona finally beat Sasha (back in Juniors, at one of the events), people who were standing by the boards close to podium, overheard Aliona saying to Sasha (when they hugged before the medal awards) - "Ha ha, i beat you/I won over you".
P.S. i was just correct by a friend who is also reading this board. Aliona said to Sasha "Ha, ha! You lost to me".

Last edited:

TallyT

This is both interesting and upsetting. I am disappointed there may be a real conflict between Sasha and Aliona. Sasha and Aliona got along fine at TT and they did a couple years of photo shoots and videos playing around then with 3A and 4A including Alina.

Just because people play Happy Families for the cameras, that doesn't make the Happy Family real.

Just because the girls smiled sweetly and did photo shoots and said the right things, didn't mean that any of it was real. We may want to think it is... it so so often just isn't. In any field.

lala

Tinami is a great storyteller, Scott is a great Eteri fan. Sasha is really well prepared she is like Evgeny when he was young. Same type of personality same type of competitior. Always want to win. Both of them know it. Sasha wanted to train with Plushy not with Rozanov. They had off ice traning from March, quietly. She is not stupid totally knows in a skating school there are more skaters not only one.
Kostornaya is really looks happy in her new environment. Plushenko knows that is good if the top skaters train separately. He wants his skaters feel good don't bother with anything unimportant about them. You don't forget there are 20 years behind him in that figure skating world what is full of intrigue and attacks. Who doesn't see this that is too naiv.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFGynQUoxB8/ the team after Sasha's skating. I don't see any problem between them but there are people who can make problem in their fantasy. And they like to share with us.

I have seen a fan video when Aliona ran from the backstage to watch Sasha's skating and when Sasha's finished her LP Aliona stood up clapped and shiningly smiled. Unfortunately I can't find it right now. But I will share with you that video

Last edited:

Scott512

Tinami is a great storyteller, Scott is a great Eteri fan. Sasha is really well prepared she is like Evgeny when he was young. Same type of personality same type of competitior. Always want to win. Both of them know it. Sasha wanted to train with Plushy not with Rozanov. They had off ice traning from March, quietly. She is not stupid totally knows in a skating school there are more skaters not only one.
Kostornaya is really looks happy in her new environment. Plushenko knows that is good if the top skaters train separately. He wants his skaters feel good don't bother with anything unimportant about them. You don't forget there are 20 years behind him in a that figure skating world what is full of intrigue and attacks. Who doesn't see this that is too naiv.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFGynQUoxB8/ the team after Sasha's skating. I don't see any problem between them but there are people who can make problem in their fantasy. And they like to share with us.

I have seen a fan video when Aliona ran from the backstage to watch Sasha's skating and when Sasha's finished her LP Aliona stood up clapped and shiningly smiled. Unfortunately I can't find it right now. But I will share with you that video
How do you know I am a great Eteri fan? ;) I just started posting here. :) Its true.

Yes Sasha is like Evegeni as a kid. Thats a good catch on your part. I think thats why her dd wanted her with Plushy and only a world title this eason could have stopped this transfer. But we didnt get wolds because of C19. It changed alot for TT. If Aliona won worlds he would have stayed.

Maybe Plushy is think of his being in the same camp with yagudin and wants it this way.

Scott512

Just because people play Happy Families for the cameras, that doesn't make the Happy Family real.

Just because the girls smiled sweetly and did photo shoots and said the right things, didn't mean that any of it was real. We may want to think it is... it so so often just isn't. In any field.
Very true. But they got along great. I suppose being known as 3A was annoying in some way. It was going to end at some point I thought it would happen after 2022 winter olympics.

TallyT

Very true. But they got along great. I suppose being known as 3A was annoying in some way. It was going to end at some point I thought it would happen after 2022 winter olympics.

I never thought it would last out their first season, even had it gone to plan. Tutberidze's girls are all taught that number one is everything, alsorans count for nothing; and there was only going to be a couple of WCs (and now only one at best), and only one OGM in their window. And how with Valieva being touted at the One before they even had a chance to make a mark...

They were rivals, and rivals are very rarely genuine friends. They shouldn't be expected to be.

Scott512

I never thought it would last out their first season, even had it gone to plan. Tutberidze's girls are all taught that number one is everything, alsorans count for nothing; and there was only going to be a couple of WCs (and now only one at best), and only one OGM in their window. And how with Valieva being touted at the One before they even had a chance to make a mark...

They were rivals, and rivals are very rarely genuine friends. They shouldn't be expected to be.
Cant disagree. Its hard for like 5 top girls to share being #1. I suppose that is why Sasha is annoyed Aliona left TT for PA. Sasha wants to be #1 alone.

lala

Cant disagree. Its hard for like 5 top girls to share being #1. I suppose that is why Sasha is annoyed Aliona left TT for PA. Sasha wants to be #1 alone.

How can you know that? You read it and you believe it because you want to believe it!!! There is no evidence.

Natanielle825

We're all just reading on the internet. We don't have any idea what's actually going on, no sense pretending we do and judging any of these kids. Besides, even if there was tension between the three girls at Eteri's. They were growing up hearing every day, "you are replaceable", "only one of you will win glory and money and the rest will be nobodies", "I don't care if you win because your friend will". That does damage. You cannot as a coach demand constant ruthless competitiveness on the ice and expect a bunch of little kids to just 'turn it off' when you want them too. Not how developmental psychology works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information