Khodorovski's interview with Arutyunyan

barbk

My step-grandfather's father is listed in various documents as being from Ruthenia, Carpathia, Galicia, or Russia. I think that the first three make it pretty likely that he was from what is now Ukraine? It does remind me why I never liked central Europe as a territory when playing Risk-- so hard to defend.

One of my students was born in Mexico and his mom is from Mexico. He looks like a blond California surfer dude and his name doesn't suggest that he is Hispanic. He's really close to his family in Mexico, and it drives him a little nuts that people mostly don't believe that he's Mexican-American.

Vagabond

My step-grandfather's father is listed in various documents as being from Ruthenia, Carpathia, Galicia, or Russia. I think that the first three make it pretty likely that he was from what is now Ukraine?
Most likely, yes. But it could be part of contemporary Poland or even Slovakia.

Did he immigrate to the United States? The discrepancy in the records might reflect that he was born in one place and lived in another before immigrating.

skatfan

My step-grandfather's father is listed in various documents as being from Ruthenia, Carpathia, Galicia, or Russia. I think that the first three make it pretty likely that he was from what is now Ukraine? It does remind me why I never liked central Europe as a territory when playing Risk-- so hard to defend.

One of my students was born in Mexico and his mom is from Mexico. He looks like a blond California surfer dude and his name doesn't suggest that he is Hispanic. He's really close to his family in Mexico, and it drives him a little nuts that people mostly don't believe that he's Mexican-American.
Yes I can relate. My dad is from Mexico and I have cousins who have blind hair and eyes. Our family comes in all shades and colors.

barbk

Most likely, yes. But it could be part of contemporary Poland or even Slovakia.

Did he immigrate to the United States? The discrepancy in the records might reflect that he was born in one place and lived in another before immigrating.
Yes. The census rules (for census docs) also seem to have had changes in what to call places as the political system changed. In one of the census docs, the enumerator looks to have been of Polish ancestry and much of the family's data was listed with Polish-type spellings I haven't seen on other docs.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes I can relate. My dad is from Mexico and I have cousins who have blind hair and eyes. Our family comes in all shades and colors.
My MIL was 100% Italian but Northern Italian so she has blonde hair and blue eyes. Naturally, people didn't believe she was Italian because they knew that Italians have brown hair & eyes and olive skin.

Maximillian

RIP TA
My MIL was 100% Italian but Northern Italian so she has blonde hair and blue eyes. Naturally, people didn't believe she was Italian because they knew that Italians have brown hair & eyes and olive skin.
Both of my parent's were of Irish heritage and my grand-grandparents came over, I took one of those ancestry DNA tests, I'm 100% Irish, however, everyone thinks I'm Greek because of my hair and eye color and complexion (basically I look like tennis player Pete Sampras). Conversely, my uncle is from Greece and was a blonde with light eyes.

barbarafan

Madame sure sounds French. But French and British have made many trips across the English Channel (let’s say La Manche) to have influenced very much each other’s languages! 😌
True that.... My fathers last name (Middleton) . All came from England...but for some reason have a tartan. My mother's last name was Bowden all from Scotland but could not find a Bowden tartan. Explanation thought to be Bowdens came from France originally and the name was Beaudoin....which became Bowden eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information