Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

Carolla5501

I am reposting from the GermanThread. So, the GermanSafeSport is doing nothing about this coach and now LSB is getting involved? I really am losing any faith in this whole "SafeSport" business. Known abusers of children that were put on suspension suddenly are taken off and their records are cleared via "SafeSport". Is SS as much of a joke as they appear?
Yes
"SafeSport" as we know and have discussed, is a U.S. org. There may be an equivalent in Germany, but it is not part of or connected to the U.S. org.
And it’s a joke here too. Someone reports abuse and it takes them years to investigate. And then they just slap you on the wrist and go don’t do that again. It’s time for these organizations to be gone and all of these to be handled by real law enforcement

VGThuy

Yes

And it’s a joke here too. Someone reports abuse and it takes them years to investigate. And then they just slap you on the wrist and go don’t do that again. It’s time for these organizations to be gone and all of these to be handled by real law enforcement
Law enforcement was once the only option and we saw what happened. That’s why SafeSport was created. Further, SafeSport doesn’t stop law enforcement investigations from happening. In some cases, they are both investigating the same incident and both are coming up with similar results or at least SafeSport can sometimes at least ban a coach since it’s easier to fire someone than it is to convict them of a crime since the standards are different.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Using both of these resources together has not been enough to make more than a small dent in resolving the problem. In the more successful cases (few and far between so far) the perpetrator has been sentenced to prison time as well as received a lifetime ban from skating. SafeSport cannot imprison the criminal and the sports ban must be enforced by the federation. So I'm not clear why a push would be made to get rid of either one of these methods at this point when a better solution would be to make each of them more effective. :confused:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Using both of these resources together has not been enough to make more than a small dent in resolving the problem. In the more successful cases (few and far between so far) the perpetrator has been sentenced to prison time as well as received a lifetime ban from skating. SafeSport cannot imprison the criminal and the sports ban must be enforced by the federation. So I'm not clear why a push would be made to get rid of either one of these methods at this point when a better solution would be to make each of them more effective. :confused:
The problem is too many chefs in the kitchen, not enough servers.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
So are you saying you would prefer a law enforcement only method that would take away options for abused skaters to pursue some form of justice?

Also if the focus is on too many chefs and not justice for abused skaters, there is also the issue of risk management that gives the aggrieved the opportunity to pursue insurance claims.

I believe most of us agree the system is difficult and not working effectively, but I usually hope people want improvements to be made without taking away available options already in place to address the bad acts.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The problem is too many chefs in the kitchen, not enough servers.
No, that's not the problem at all. Name a situation where SafeSport and Law Enforcement were stepping all over each other and that hurt both investigations?

The problem is not enough resources for SafeSport. And possibly also not enough/the wrong kind of resources from law enforcement.

SafeSport investigations take forever because they are understaffed. Taking forever makes them less impactful and also can hurt the investigation. Being understaffed also can lead to making mistakes so that their punishments get overturned (as we've seen happen). None of these things are indications of "too many cooks."

Law enforcement is only available for abuse that breaks the law. And many women who go to them report being treated in a way that they feel abused all over again. Or they are strongly encouraged not to pursue the matter. Again, this is not a sign of "too many cooks."

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Looks like the International Ice Academy of Colorado has hired TJ Nyman to join their Senior Coaching staff:

I can’t even :duh:
How the heck can anyone? I’m so sad that Natalia Mishkutenok is on their staff. Wow. Sickening.

wickedwitch

Looks like the International Ice Academy of Colorado has hired TJ Nyman to join their Senior Coaching staff:

He’s been listed as a coach on the website for a while. This isn’t a new development. Not that that makes it any better.

Aaron MB Fan

So of course as this has probably gone viral and they (deservedly) received negative feedback, the International Ice Academy of Colorado pulled down the TJ announcement, but left up the other announcement for Ben Jalovick.

Here is a link to a screengrab from Twitter of the original Instagram announcement post:

bethy135

So of course as this has probably gone viral and they (deservedly) received negative feedback, the International Ice Academy of Colorado pulled down the TJ announcement, but left up the other announcement for Ben Jalovick.

Here is a link to a screengrab from Twitter of the original Instagram announcement post:
From the screenshot: "Things you should know . . . " (about TJ Nyman)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The SafeSport website is listing a temporary suspension for Jessica McMillan of Nekoosa, WI, for allegations of misconduct. Google info seems to indicate she's involved with the learn to skate program at the Wisconsin Rapids FSC.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Update to the case mentioned above, McMillan is now listed on the SafeSport site as "ineligible" because of "criminal misconduct involving a minor". The site says that this decision is "subject to appeal/not yet final".

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This story isn't about skating and SafeSport, but it's a very damning look at how SafeSport handled some cases involving gymnasts in Texas. (Warning that the story contains descriptions of sexual abuse.)

Sylvia

TBD
From a major article on the U.S. Center for SafeSport, published today - excerpts relating to figure skating:
Figure skater-turned-coach Craig Maurizi first accused Olympic coach Richard Callaghan in 1999 of sexually abusing him when he was a young skater in the 1970s, but Callaghan issued adamant denials, and the skating federation dismissed the allegations without investigation, saying the allegations were time-barred. Nearly two decades later, in 2018, Maurizi submitted his allegations against Callaghan and the evidence he had collected to the center.
Callaghan continued to deny any wrongdoing, but confidential documents show that SafeSport investigators found that "over the course of two decades, [Callaghan] engaged in grooming behavior, non-contact behavior of a sexual nature, inappropriate physical contact, and sexual contact and intercourse, physical and emotional misconduct, and a pattern of exploitative and abusive conduct with young athletes he coached." In August 2019, he, too, was given a lifetime ban from the sport.
But Callaghan appealed, and four months later an independent arbitrator overturned the ban, instead imposing a three-year suspension related to allegations of physical and emotional abuse of other skaters he coached. Callaghan will be eligible to return to the ice later this year, when his name will also disappear from the center's database, despite U.S. Figure Skating having agreed to pay $1.45 million in 2021 to settle a lawsuit brought by one of his former skaters. U.S. Figure Skating is still facing a lawsuit filed by Maurizi. Attorneys for Callaghan did not respond to questions about his plans for the future. Maurizi said any lingering sense of vindication has evaporated, leaving little in its place.
"I'm not as mad as I should be," Maurizi told ABC News. "If I think about it for a moment, it's more because I just feel kind of hopeless, like there is no recourse for me, and there's really nowhere I can truly get justice."
In July, arbitrators removed the two-year suspension of figure skating coach John Zimmerman, who was accused of discouraging a 13-year-old female skater from reporting illicit photos she allegedly received from French Olympian Morgan Cipres while he was training at a rink in Florida. (Cipres, who has declined to discuss the case, cannot be sanctioned by the center because he is not a member of U.S. Figure Skating.)
During the investigation, Zimmerman conceded that he failed to report the allegations to the center and to law enforcement, according to confidential documents obtained by ESPN and ABC News, but denied allegations that he tried to persuade the young skater to remain quiet by threatening her career.
Arbitrators found that the center's monthslong investigation did not find sufficient evidence to uphold their findings, and his punishment was reduced to one year of probation due to his failure to report the incident. His name was immediately removed from the center's database, and he was permitted to return to coaching. An attorney for Zimmerman declined to comment on the case.
I've created a thread/posted the link to this ESPN.com article in Other Sports because it includes sports besides figure skating:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So I read this:

In July, arbitrators removed the two-year suspension of figure skating coach John Zimmerman, who was accused of discouraging a 13-year-old female skater from reporting illicit photos she allegedly received from French Olympian Morgan Cipres while he was training at a rink in Florida. (Cipres, who has declined to discuss the case, cannot be sanctioned by the center because he is not a member of U.S. Figure Skating.)

During the investigation, Zimmerman conceded that he failed to report the allegations to the center and to law enforcement, according to confidential documents obtained by ESPN and ABC News, but denied allegations that he tried to persuade the young skater to remain quiet by threatening her career.

Arbitrators found that the center's months-long investigation did not find sufficient evidence to uphold their findings, and his punishment was reduced to one year of probation due to his failure to report the incident. His name was immediately removed from the center's database, and he was permitted to return to coaching. An attorney for Zimmerman declined to comment on the case.

and my reaction is: You only get 1 year of probation if you fail to report the abuse of an athlete? :huh: That sucks big time and needs to change.

Trillian

So I read this:

and my reaction is: You only get 1 year of probation if you fail to report the abuse of an athlete? :huh: That sucks big time and needs to change.

Same. I didn’t pay as much attention when his penalty was reduced, so I guess I thought they found him somehow not culpable. (Which still seemed questionable.) I didn’t realize the finding was, “No, he definitely failed to report an adult man sending a dick pic to a child, we just don’t think it’s a big deal.” …Seriously?

Scott512

I just read this whole thread. The abuses ars just sickening and staggering to read. Devastating comes to mind. This is much worse than the terrible Kamila situation especially if you take Larry Nasser being allowed to molest girls for 20 years into account.

I would like to say it's hard to believe sports and the behavior of adults maybe you're of adults taking advantage of young people a shocking but it's not. And the cases of abuse that we know about are probably just the tip of the iceberg. :(

I wish they were better leaders all over sports.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think it's important to remember that we don't know the depth, or extent of the situation in Sambo-70, and the Nasser case started with one survivor coming forward.
I agree with you but I also think we'll never have a situation like Nassar ever again. Even in an era where sexual abuse was more tolerated (in practice, if not in theory), his situation was incredibly rare.

It could be more like the Karolyis where they did emotionally abuse their athletes over a long period of time, but they never got charged and just got hounded out of the sport.

skatingguy

decently
I agree with you but I also think we'll never have a situation like Nassar ever again. Even in an era where sexual abuse was more tolerated (in practice, if not in theory), his situation was incredibly rare.
I wouldn't be too quick to conclude that his situation was as rare as might to think. We know that prolific abusers have abused hundreds of victims before we just have never had records of the survivors because Nasser was keeping records of the girls/women he abused because he was a doctor.
It could be more like the Karolyis where they did emotionally abuse their athletes over a long period of time, but they never got charged and just got hounded out of the sport.
I don't expect the Sambo-70 staff will face any repercussions for any/all abuse of their skaters at this time based on the response to the story in Russia so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information