Keegan Messing Cheer thread

Sylvia

TBD
It's time, don't you think? 93.00 in the SP in Milan today for 6th place (eta: landed 4T+3T, 3A & 3Lz with not a single negative GOE mark on his protocol!) and in the final group for the FS on Saturday! Creative title suggestions please?

I've followed Keegan since he competed at the Novice level nationally in the U.S. -- just checked his IN profile and he won the Novice men's bronze medal at 2007 Nationals in Spokane, Washington: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/keegan_messing

ETA: Choreographer Lance Vipond deserves a lot of credit for selecting music that Keegan can bring to life as a natural entertainer. His "Singin' in the Rain" SP is my favorite program of his to date. :) Glad he's finally made his first World team at the age of 26! I'll copy over some his 2018 Olympics-related articles into this thread later.

Last edited:

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I admit to being sceptical about Keegan when he first started skating for Canada. But after seeing him at Nationals, the Olympics, and now Worlds, I am a believer. Ready to jump on the Keegan bandwagon.
It is so good to see him have an opportunity to show what he can do, and have success doing it, after so many years in the wilderness (literally!)

Catherine M

I've seen Keegan skate live three times--US nationals in Omaha in 2013, Canadians in 2015 and Skate Canada this past fall and loved seeing him in person. And its been fun watching him develop over this season and finally get some recognition.

Hopefully being in the final flight on Saturday won't be too big of moment for him.

kittysk8ts

The difference between Keegan's skating the last couple of seasons vs. this season is amazing. They took great pains to SLOW him down a little bit in order to give him more control. It has worked in every aspect of his skill set. He has always had the performance quality with programs that are more exhibition like and now that he is hitting his content, watch out! Also some of the best spins in the field as far as speed and centering for sure :)

puglover

And he has an interesting looking coach - nice to see someone new standing at the boards. Or at least new to me.

jl22aries

Keegan's skating is so joyful! I agree he makes me smile. I saw him live at Nationals this year and enjoyed him through the whole competition. He has a wonderful spirited energy about him. And he seems to have the most joyful attitude. I loved watching him through the entire Olympic Games, supporting his team mates, attending other events. I cannot wait to catch up on the SP when I get home. Thanks for the thread!

barbarafan

It's time, don't you think? 93.00 in the SP in Milan today for 6th place (eta: landed 4T+3T, 3A & 3Lz with not a single negative GOE mark on his protocol!) and in the final group for the FS on Saturday! Creative title suggestions please?

I've followed Keegan since he competed at the Novice level nationally in the U.S. -- just checked his IN profile and he won the Novice men's bronze medal at 2007 Nationals in Spokane, Washington: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/keegan_messing

ETA: Choreographer Lance Vipond deserves a lot of credit for selecting music that Keegan can bring to life as a natural entertainer. His "Singin' in the Rain" SP is my favorite program of his to date. :) Glad he's finally made his first World team at the age of 26! I'll copy over some his 2018 Olympics-related articles into this thread later.

How about Keegan Messing - Skating in the Rain

grimey

Skating + photography = my heaven :)
Yay for this thread! This has been such a great season for Keegan. I got to see him at SC in the fall and what a class act! Seems like a down to earth kind of person. Plus he does have some of the best spins in the world and his programs are perfect for his style. Keep on Keegan on ;):D

WildRose

Love Keegan, he’s my kind of skater. I’m getting a real kick out of all the coverage he’s starting to get on CBC TV. He’s “Canada’s Number One Man” now and the media is shifting gears to cover him accordingly. I wonder if he has any idea what that means in Canada where the Men are king - if he keeps on skating this great he’s going to get a lot of attention. If he can add another quad, which he is apparently working on, he can contend for a medal.

mag

The free skate was a learning experience. It will only do him good in the future.

To end up skating first in the final flight must have been almost overwhelming, but as you say, great experience and something he will learn from. He has definitely made his mark at the world level and I am excited to see what he and Lance come up with for next year!

Roux

Keegan caught my eye in the first competition I watched, 2014 US Nationals, with his energy and personality! Watching an entire event can be daunting, but he always puts on a show. Thrilled to see him at the Olympics and Worlds, now looking forward to seeing more of him in future international competitions! :cheer2:

screech

Keegan was invited to skate in the Gala! Unfortunately this is the only video I can find, and the sound goes away part way through, but what a great thing for him. They must have recognized his performance skills, because other than host skaters, normally those that come 8th aren't invited to the Gala, unless they're either big names, crowd favourites, or hugely entertaining.

Sylvia

TBD
2 Anchorage Daily News articles about 2018 Worlds:

Girdwood’s Messing finishes 8th at the World Figure Skating Championships

Back on a world stage, Girdwood figure skater Messing continues to shine [6th in SP]
When he finished, he punched the air with his fist while smiling from ear to ear.
"I came down on the lutz and I couldn't contain myself," he told reporters afterward. "It was almost like the heat was coming from within. I was just filled with joy going into the last spin, and I can say I don't think I've ever felt that in a program before.
"… After the spin it was just this surreal experience, and to do it on the world stage? That's probably the last time I do 'Singin' in the Rain,' and what a better way to put it out there."
The world championships come just a month after the Olympics, which for some skaters is too quick a turnaround. Messing, a dual U.S./Canadian citizen who competes for Canada, told reporters Thursday it's a challenge to do both.
"I had no idea it would be so difficult to get my body back up and going again after such a high at the Olympics," he said.
Canadian Press article by Lori Ewing published during the Olympics: Canadian figure skater Keegan Messing took a long road to his Olympic debut
"About 30 seconds before I got on the ice, I thought 'Oh my gosh, I'm at the Olympics,' and I almost wanted to cry, and I had to bring myself back to myself, and make it a little selfish and just go out and skate for myself," Messing said.
Messing was born in Girdwood, a resort town of glaciers and grizzly bears about 60 kilometres south of Anchorage. He's coached there by Ralph Burghart, a long-haired Austrian who skated in the 1992 Albertville Olympics. His mom Sally has worked at the Girdwood rink to make ends meet.
Sally was born in Edmonton, and raised in Peterborough, Ont., hence Messing's dual citizenship. She moved to Alaska where she met Messing's dad.
The plan was always to compete for Canada, but the logistics made it easier to skate for the U.S., and when he was just 14, he landed a triple Axel at the U.S. novice championships, earning himself a trip to Italy to compete.
"We were like 'Yeah, let's go. Let's go to Italy!"' Messing said.
But what he and his coach didn't know is that that international competition tied him to the U.S. He'd have to take a two-year break from skating internationally to be eligible to skate for Canada, which he did in the Sochi Olympic season and the one that followed.
Beverley Smith's 2 articles in her blog:
KEEGAN MESSING, SPEECHLESS (when he made the Olympic team in January 2018)
KEEGAN MESSING: HIS EXCELLENT ADVENTURE (January 2017)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information