Katia Gordeeva remarried??

greenapple

And here is an article from 2015 in which Pelletier said he spends a lot of time with Jamie and her husband and sometimes babysits their daughter.

“We joke a little bit. We say we’re the modern family,” says Pelletier. “I have so much respect for both of them. So it’s our reality. It’s our family and we make it so it’s enjoyable for everyone. And that’s the choice we made. Because, in the end, it’s a choice.”

Kimkeb

If somebody told me 20 years ago that Gordeeva & Pelletier would be married (with a puppy), I would have given them directions to the nearest psych ward.
I think they might of decided to get married now because she was living in the US and David in Canada, but they were unable to see each other since March because a lot of travel was halted and the US/Canada border was closed. I think they almost had to get married if they wanted to see each other during this time. It seems like Katia gave up a lot to be with him, moving to another country, her coaching job, and Daria will remain in the US. I don’t know, I hope it works out.

Perky Shae Lynn

I think they might of decided to get married now because she was living in the US and David in Canada, but they were unable to see each other since March because a lot of travel was halted and the US/Canada border was closed. I think they almost had to get married if they wanted to see each other during this time. It seems like Katia gave up a lot to be with him, moving to another country, her coaching job, and Daria will remain in the US. I don’t know, I hope it works out.
Katia will be fine. She will continue coaching and doing seminars with David. They've been teaching together since 2016. There will be TV appearances if she wants them. There are plenty of opportunities in Canada for two skating legends. Once the borders reopen, she'll go back and forth between Canada, US and Russia. Daria is almost 30 yo and has a separate life. I assume Liza is in college in Canada.

Last edited:

Sonata

Man from small town in Quebec marries Russian woman living in California. They both ultimately end up in Edmonton (so far) where the man’s ex-wife is from and their son is being raised. It’s actually quite an unlikely turn of events but interesting. You never know where you’ll end up. Yes, a modern family, as David says, and something that’s largely only possible in modern times where we can travel more easily (except for YNW).

trouble77

Banned Member
I am actually very happy to know that Katia moved to Canada and she is now in a relationship with David. Since Disson skating shows discontinued, and Stars on Ice didn't invite her with the same consistency of the past, I feel as if I havent seen much of her skating. I am sure she will get invited to SOI Canada and I hope to see some solo numbers as well as a performance with David.

Kimkeb

I agree, she actually might find more work in Canada where ice skating has always been very popular. David Pelletier is a skating coach for hockey and I’m sure there is opportunities for coaching and teaching in Canada. Unfortunately, I think a lot is skating shows like Stars on Ice are losing popularity in America. The last time I went to one was a year ago and I couldn’t believe how empty it was, it sorta made me sad.

Kecasyl

I agree, she actually might find more work in Canada where ice skating has always been very popular. David Pelletier is a skating coach for hockey and I’m sure there is opportunities for coaching and teaching in Canada. Unfortunately, I think a lot is skating shows like Stars on Ice are losing popularity in America. The last time I went to one was a year ago and I couldn’t believe how empty it was, it sorta made me sad.
The problem with skating shows in the US like SOI is they charge way too much for tickets and people don't find it worth it. When the tickets used to be more affordable, there were more people in the seats. Also, there are usually more people there for the post-Olympic tours than the in between years. Sadly, the 90s boost in skating interest and packed arenas is a thing of the past.

Kecasyl

Yes because the average fan that attends goes for school figures.:rolleyes: Most of them can't tell you what jump said skater is doing.
I appreciate good basics, but those of us that do and know what we are or aren't looking at are few and far between.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Yes because the average fan that attends goes for school figures.:rolleyes: Most of them can't tell you what jump said skater is doing.
I appreciate good basics, but those of us that do and know what we are or aren't looking at are few and far between.
I believe you are misinterpreting Brenda's argument, which is not that show skaters should excel at school figures, nor that show skating attendees prioritize basic skating and can recognize jumps.

Rather, Brenda contended that COP has ruined the charisma (and perhaps also the uniqueness and talent) that skaters--particularly ones like Brandon Mroz, Holly Cook, Tonia Kwiatkowski, and Max Aaron--who excelled at school figures and basics possessed.

In other words, real fans like Brenda would have no problem shelling out the big buck$ at shows--not to see skaters perform school figures, but to marvel at thrilling skating rooted in figures and basics.

As for Gordeeva, I know I would enjoy seeing her skate to "A Whole New World" with someone who could match her artistry, such as Brandon Mroz or Max Aaron.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The problem with skating shows in the US like SOI is they charge way too much for tickets and people don't find it worth it. When the tickets used to be more affordable, there were more people in the seats. Also, there are usually more people there for the post-Olympic tours than the in between years. Sadly, the 90s boost in skating interest and packed arenas is a thing of the past.
Also. Skating is difficult to find to watch. If you do find it....everyone is doing the same thing. The point appear arbitrary.
There are no BIG names. I watched Dorothy Hamill at a show....totally mesmerizing...and I don't think she jumped.

Brian Boigano predicted the demise of figure skating shows when they allowed the elligable skaters skate. Jumps are what people can understand..(they go up, they go down..they don't fall.)

I would love to see COP applied correctly. The PCS IMO should have nothing to do with the tech score. It is not surprising that people don't follow skating.

And finally ....just speaking for us in the US....who would you pay a bazillion dollars drive 4 hours..to see skate?

Picking are slim...not for us...but for regular people? Nathan Chen... I don't mean. There are not good skaters just that the are no Big household names.

Probably. But who else? I'll watch a mouse skate but Skating just isn't in the forefront for people.

And OMG don't get me started on TV coverage.

I wish the man who does the Russian juniors did everything.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
The problem with skating shows here is not ticket prices—the problem is the code of points has irrevocably ruined the sport. Even several of our American skaters tend to be rather devoid of charisma and the strong foundation that school figures provided.

-BB
I think times have changed and people just don't have the time or want to spend big bucks to travel to see a skating show. If it is in my hometown, I'll make every effort to go, but if it requires a hotel stay and/or a plane ticket, it really adds up fast. I wish they would consider changing how they do the shows and let people watch it virtually like what Battle of the Blades did.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Rather, Brenda contended that COP has ruined the charisma (and perhaps also the uniqueness and talent) that skaters--particularly ones like Brandon Mroz, Holly Cook, Tonia Kwiatkowski, and Max Aaron--who excelled at school figures and basics possessed.
Thank you for elaborating,however you may as well be dead to me for leaving Mr. Todd Eldredge off the list.

In other words, real fans like Brenda would have no problem shelling out the big buck$ at shows--not to see skaters perform school figures, but to marvel at thrilling skating rooted in figures and basics.
I would gladly pay even more handsome sums if smoking was permitted in the arena while watching said skaters with charisma,basics,and good looks.

It is refreshing to finally be recognized as a real fan.

-BB

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Whatcha been drinking ANL? Cocktail season is here - give me some good ideas.

Wellllllll theres the standard wild turkey on the rocks!!

I wouldn’t say no to some spiked eggnog with some captain Morgans rum!

Took my vitamins this morning with a Heineken!

You could always throw some peppermint schnapps in your hot chocolate 🍫

You could always invite over the two Glens..... Glenlivet and Glenfiddisch. It wouldn’t be the holidays without either!

There’s always the fall back.... An alpine martini....Smirnov’s, vermouth, one scoop Douglas Fir Sorbet and a drop of peppermint schnapps!!!

This should get you through this afternoon!!!!

Last edited:

Lemonade20

Wellllllll theres the standard wild turkey on the rocks!!

I wouldn’t say no to some spiked eggnog with some captain Morgans rum!

Took my vitamins this morning with a Heineken!

You could always throw some peppermint schnapps in your hot chocolate 🍫

You could always invite over the two Glens..... Glenlivet and Glenfiddisch. It wouldn’t be the holidays without either!

There’s always the fall back.... An alpine martini....Smirnov’s, vermouth, one scoop Douglas Fir Sorbet and a drop of peppermint schnapps!!!

This should get you through this afternoon!!!!
I really want to hang out with you 🤣🤣

Jenny

From the Bloc
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Get over yourself. I've attended enough skating events - competitive and show - to know that a lot more than "few and far between" know a helluva lot more about skating than you think.

As for the demise of professional skating, which has been discussed in great depth on this board over the years by - gasp! - very knowledgeable skating fans, many with close connections to the sport if not skaters/coaches themselves.

One of the theories that has had a lot of play is that the pro side of the sport overextended itself - the tours (not just SOI, but the old COI too) and all the pro "competitions" that weren't really competitions but rather tv showcases that had less to do with quality skating. Waters down the real stuff, too many shows to track, too expensive to attend so many shows. There was also a lack of collaboration with the amateur world, so that it got to the point that SOI would be a bunch of older skaters who no longer kept up all their jumps (Yamaguchi being the exception), and pairs teams who relied on showy tricks. They'd hire the latest OG - I recall Lipinski at the time - but they'd also bring back their old friends to pad up the cast rather than develop fresh talent. I mean I appreciate the achievements of Hamilton, Witt, Browning, Gordeeva etc, but after 20 years of skating shows it gets a tad repetitive.

VGThuy

There was a time where some of the old pros like Scott Hamilton would complain that eligible skaters weren’t retiring at the rate he needed to make pro skating continue. At the time, I thought he really wanted Kwan to retire and join SOI. But I think if skaters wanted to compete at the Olympic level longer, then more power to them and it helps make the sport legitimate. Weird how they wanted the stars from the eligible world but complained about pro-ams.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I would fear that figure skating may go the way of beauty pageants in terms of perception and irrelevancy, but then the Olympics always comes around and ratings are always high for figure skating there. It and certain athletes that capture the public's attention even get trending on social media.

Yuri

Katia's career was perfectly timed for what I call the decade of figure skating, 1988 to 1998, where the switch in the Winter Olympics schedule gave us 4 in 10 years which helped to produce many stars. This decade concluded with the return to the Olympics of the "pros" but also became tabloid fodder with Tonya/Nancy and the media-fueled judging controversies, which helped feed the overexposure and ultimate demise as many have said.

I know that I lost a lot of interest in the sport when the ISU dumped the 6.0 system and hid the country identities of the judges in response to some controversial results. Maybe the new system produces fairer results, but it was so much fun to debate how judges from different countries had different preferences. And everyone knew what a 6.0 meant, especially a string of them a la Tortill and Dean for Bolero. The 6.0 system was perfect for the star system and the ability to produce champions who could win multiple consecutive national and world championships, even if it wasn't always "fair". I agree the loss of school figures (and compulsory dances) took away the magical edge and turn quality needed to make it to the top that sometimes wasn't obvious in sports dominated by jumps and/or spectacular lifts. I also believe programs became more cookie cutter with less artistry and creativity over time, even though there is now more athleticism than ever with very high technical levels of jumps, lifts, and spins, and lots of power and speed.

Of course, this was also the time period when the Soviet Union fell and North Americans got an amazing opportunity to get to know the mysterious Russian skaters as many relocated and skated in North American tours and cheese fests. Katia's love story and tragedy were well chronicled in her autobiography, and yes, she probably has found it difficult to live up to her image in My Sergei. She's one of the only gold medalist Russian skaters from the Golden Era whom I haven't met, so I am not sure how much of what was said on TV and in multiple books is true. But I suspect that, like my Russian medalist friends in pairs and dance who do know her well, she has had similar personal experiences first growing up in the strict Soviet sports system and then afterwards with the freedoms in North America. The tabloid nature of the reporting has been quite unfair to many and created unrealistic expectations for some skaters to meet, in my view.

Lemonade20

Katia's career was perfectly timed for what I call the decade of figure skating, 1988 to 1998, where the switch in the Winter Olympics schedule gave us 4 in 10 years which helped to produce many stars. This decade concluded with the return to the Olympics of the "pros" but also became tabloid fodder with Tonya/Nancy and the media-fueled judging controversies, which helped feed the overexposure and ultimate demise as many have said.

I know that I lost a lot of interest in the sport when the ISU dumped the 6.0 system and hid the country identities of the judges in response to some controversial results. Maybe the new system produces fairer results, but it was so much fun to debate how judges from different countries had different preferences. And everyone knew what a 6.0 meant, especially a string of them a la Tortill and Dean for Bolero. The 6.0 system was perfect for the star system and the ability to produce champions who could win multiple consecutive national and world championships, even if it wasn't always "fair". I agree the loss of school figures (and compulsory dances) took away the magical edge and turn quality needed to make it to the top that sometimes wasn't obvious in sports dominated by jumps and/or spectacular lifts. I also believe programs became more cookie cutter with less artistry and creativity over time, even though there is now more athleticism than ever with very high technical levels of jumps, lifts, and spins, and lots of power and speed.

Of course, this was also the time period when the Soviet Union fell and North Americans got an amazing opportunity to get to know the mysterious Russian skaters as many relocated and skated in North American tours and cheese fests. Katia's love story and tragedy were well chronicled in her autobiography, and yes, she probably has found it difficult to live up to her image in My Sergei. She's one of the only gold medalist Russian skaters from the Golden Era whom I haven't met, so I am not sure how much of what was said on TV and in multiple books is true. But I suspect that, like my Russian medalist friends in pairs and dance who do know her well, she has had similar personal experiences first growing up in the strict Soviet sports system and then afterwards with the freedoms in North America. The tabloid nature of the reporting has been quite unfair to many and created unrealistic expectations for some skaters to meet, in my view.
Yes, perfectly said! I really miss the old 6.0 system, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a 10.0 system in place. This would give a little more wiggle room in judging. Three Olympics in 10 years and shining a spotlight on Tonya & Nancy definitely contributed to how crazy popular it was in the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information