Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

I think the key difference with Diana is that the public considered her to be a better royal than the royals at the time She was the darling of the public. And the divorce was of a personal relationship, not from the British public. I don’t think the public thought it was fair that she stopped being a princess just because of a personal divorce.

Whereas Harry and Meghan consciously have left the royal structure and Britain. And it’s been a very bitter split which has had a decidedly anti-Britain and anti-royal tone about it.

The concern would be at the moment that an alliance of a British charity to Meghan and Harry could be viewed as an anti-establishment and anti-royal statement. That might suit the brand of some charities of course, but not all.

puglover

It will be interesting to see what impact time and perspective have on public sentiment. Princess Diana was certainly beloved and not too much sympathy was felt for Charles at the time. I remember thinking he was a total cad. Now we know more about the whole scenario, the crazy pressure and restraints he had to marry under and how totally unsuited they were and one can't help but be sort of okay with Camilla on his arm and just glad to see some happiness come from a horrid situation. Now the ball is firmly in Harry and Meghan's court. I hope they have good people advising them. Their story has been told and they need to change the dialogue now and use their voices for good. Paying off their home renovation debt to Britain - good move.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The concern would be at the moment that an alliance of a British charity to Meghan and Harry could be viewed as an anti-establishment and anti-royal statement. That might suit the brand of some charities of course, but not all.

Since H&M have made it pretty clear that they weren't happy living in the UK (even though IIRC they're keeping Frogmore so they can stay there when they visit) I doubt any British charity would see much value in affiliating with them. Not because it would be perceived as anti-establishment or anti-royal, but just for practicality.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Harry and Meagan have retained their HRH, but are just not using it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Harry and Meagan have retained their HRH, but are just not using it.

According to this, they had the HRH titles taken away as part of the departure agreement. But they still have the Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Thank you. But here, the official statement, it says they are no longer using their HRH titles; it didn't say they lost them.

The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.

Doesn't "their HRH titles" imply that the titles are still theirs?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Thank you. But here, the official statement, it says they are no longer using their HRH titles; it didn't say they lost them.

Doesn't "their HRH titles" imply that the titles are still theirs?

Good point, I missed that. Well, here's a BBC story that says in the main article that they will not use the titles, and then the sidebar by the Royal correspondent says "no royal title". So who knows? :lol:

The Duke of Sussex title also comes with a couple of subsidiary titles, which I assume Harry gets to keep as long as he's the duke.

kittyjake5

I think H&M have retained their HRH but cannot use the title since they are not working royals.
Unlike Diana who was stripped of HRH when she and Charles divorced.

H&M exit agreement with the BRF is up for review in March and it is pretty clear they want to be private citizens so their title
may be just Mr. & Mrs. Windsor-Mountbatten.

Last edited:

Vagabond

In the U.K. at least, the honorific "Royal Highness" is given or taken away by letters patent, which iare published legal documents. Since no letters patent have been published that indicate that Harry and Meghan have lost the honorific, they presumably still have them but have agreed not to use them.

This is kind of like the situation with Camilla. As the wife of the Prince of Wales, she is the Princess of Wales, but she uses her lesser titles of Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Rothesay instead.

Lorac

I think it's exactly the same as Harry and Meghan. They lost the HRH titles but kept the Duke/Duchess of Sussex titles. Diane was not considered royal after she lost HRH so that means H+M aren't either.

No this is different. Diana had the HRH officially removed upon her divorce which is why her title changed from HRH Princess of Wales to Diana, Princess of Wales thus removing her royal status. She was however incorrectly referred to as Princess Diana whereas the Princess moniker shouldn't have been affixed before her given name after the divorce. She should have been referred to a Diana Princess of Wales. A subtle difference.

Harry and Meghan have not been shorn of their HRH titles but have agreed not to use them as per their agreement with the Queen so consequently they are still officially royal. The Duke of Sussex title in of itself is a royal Dukedom conferred on sons or grandsons of the monarch.

It is actually more difficult to remove Harry's royal status as he was born a Prince of the realm. Even removing the Duke of Sussex title from him would just mean he would revert to HRH Prince Harry of Wales - or maybe Mountbatten Windsor if he so chose - as his title unless he officially asked the monarch to remove it. At that point Meghan would officially be known as Princess Harry of Wales/Mountbatten Windsor though the press would probably refer to her as Princess Meghan totally incorrectly.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
So can Beatrice and Eugenie not use their HRH’s either as they both have normal jobs and are not working royals?

starrynight

So can Beatrice and Eugenie not use their HRH’s either as they both have normal jobs and are not working royals?

Yes, I think they do use their titles. But I think the situation of Beatrice and Eugenie is really different. They do have normal jobs - Beatrice in an office role and Eugenie in an art gallery (as far as I'm aware) and they are actively involved in British Royal life.

But Harry and Meghan don't have normal jobs - a $150million Netflix deal isn't a normal job. And they have actively parted from the royal family and left Britain. So it's quite different to just low key working in an art gallery or the like.

I think that's where the difference lies. Harry and Meghan don't want to be a part of the royal family any more. Whereas I don't think that Beatrice and Eugenie have ever had the option of being full time working royals (even if they wanted to).

jadingirl

Meghan made an appearance via Zoom on America's Got Talent finale last night.

They introduced her as Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and she had a message for Archie a man who was imprisoned for 37 years for a crime he did not commit and was now singing in the finals. I have to say it was a little strange.

starrynight

Your post just prompted me to look up the case. So a total stranger broke into a woman's house and raped her repeatedly and stabbed her twice. She then picked someone out of a police lineup that looked close enough to the attacker and then the police pursued the target (with fairly flimsy evidence aside from the apparent positive identification), all while another serial rapist who looked a bit like him went undetected and kept attacking.

What a terrible and sad (and complicated) set of circumstances all round.

kittyjake5

Meghan made an appearance via Zoom on America's Got Talent finale last night.

They introduced her as Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and she had a message for Archie a man who was imprisoned for 37 years for a crime he did not commit and was now singing in the finals. I have to say it was a little strange.

The story of Archie Williams is a sad one.

Meghan is an actress by profession and I believe it won't be long before she will be working in front of the camera in some
capacity with Netflix.

Here is the video of Meghan. She looks great!

MsZem

I see the sea
Here's an interesting article from NYPost about Kate Middleton's uncle ranting about the Sussexes on a now-deleted post on Linkedin. He stands by his words:
What's interesting about this garbage? Is Kate Middleton's uncle interesting or important in any way to their relationships with other people?

The implication seems to be that this is somehow expressive of how Will and Kate feel, which is frankly bizarre.

VGThuy

It's interesting because his rant reminds me of some posts I've read here, especially how all four parties seem to be implicated in some way but their associates and their failure to address or denounce what people associated with them in some way have said.

canbelto

MsZem

I see the sea
It's interesting because his rant reminds me of some posts I've read here, especially how all four parties seem to be implicated in some way but their associates and their failure to address or denounce what people associated with them in some way have said.
So you're bringing up in order to enjoy more of the same?

Many people express opinions and behave in ways that are unfortunate. Meghan herself has a few of those in her family. Why anyone would want to highlight this trash is beyond me.

He also assaulted his wife a few years back. I don't think people should be expected to denounce their relatives every time they behave in an abhorrent manner.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Why so defensive?
Why so eager to post trashy gossip?

I'm in no way invested in Harry and Meghan, but I'd much rather read nice things about them and not random garbage about someone they have no relationship with.

VGThuy

I just posted an article that was about them and it didn’t seem out of place considering everything else everyone wrote about in here. I only came across it and thought to share it. Then you come in and start up on me like you have a personal stake and act all offended.

MsZem

I see the sea
I just posted an article that was about them and it didn’t seem out of place considering everything else everyone wrote about in here. I only came across it and thought to share it. Then you come in and start up on me like you have a personal stake and act all offended.
I expressed an opinion about the article that you posted. Did you not want people to react to it?

Here's a nice update about Harry:

skategal

Bunny mama
The article further proves to me that everyone has a deranged uncle (or aunt) in their family. :rofl:

Kate must be mortified that he spoke out about this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information