Johnny Weir on Dancing with the Stars

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
All 8s for Johnny last night! :)
Sorry about that, Sylvia. For some reason, your post didn't show up for me at the bottom of the thread. I didn't see it until I after I posted. :)

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
“I bought my first home a couple of years ago in 2018,” he said. “I was living like a gypsy all over the place, and I didn’t know where my life was going to take me. I finally found where I wanted to put down roots outside of Philadelphia, and part of that process was making sure that I had enough space to build a cottage for my parents, so that they could retire and not worry about those sorts of things.”
Keeping them close has another advantage, he joked. Since he travels so much, he doesn’t need to worry about leaving an empty house with them there to keep an eye on everything.
Johnny tweeted on Oct. 3rd that he & Britt are getting ready to "jive our booties off" to Elton John's "Crocodile Rock."

Lacey

Johnny danced like a pro--a fast-paced beautifully-timed jive with unbelievable footwork.
And he looked gorgeous--funky bright green costumes, and he even did his hair right with full length curls.
He looked like a different contestant from the first few nights, no nerves.

Last edited:

slicekw

Searching for a great dog park.
Just like with the Rumba, the jive was a lot better and he seemed yet more relaxed. It appears that he's lost that lovely stretch that he had 10-15 years ago when he's competing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some early arthritis that's causing the stiffness. They certainly seem to be developing chemistry and growing as a team. My guess is that if he's careful, he'll get a lot of that flowiness back week after week.

I can't stand the show, but I'll watch the clips just to see what he does.

barbk

Just like with the Rumba, the jive was a lot better and he seemed yet more relaxed. It appears that he's lost that lovely stretch that he had 10-15 years ago when he's competing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some early arthritis that's causing the stiffness. They certainly seem to be developing chemistry and growing as a team. My guess is that if he's careful, he'll get a lot of that flowiness back week after week.

I can't stand the show, but I'll watch the clips just to see what he does.

I was surprised at how stiff he looked vs. Evan (who was not exactly Mr. Flexibilty), but I think you might be right on arthritis. Evan did DWTS while he was still doing shows. Six more years have gone by, and I'd guess time is taking its toll on a lot of the skaters. He did look like he was having fun. Nice to see.

skatfan

I was surprised at how stiff he looked vs. Evan (who was not exactly Mr. Flexibilty), but I think you might be right on arthritis. Evan did DWTS while he was still doing shows. Six more years have gone by, and I'd guess time is taking its toll on a lot of the skaters. He did look like he was having fun. Nice to see.

Evan competed right after he won gold in Vancouver, so he was in peak condition. Johnny is 10 years out from competing when Evan hasn’t been on the ice in years.

I thought we saw the Johnny we were hoping for, and his pro did more camera friendly choreo so everything popped.

skylark

Has anyone found a link to Johnny/Brit's contemporary dance from tonight?

I really loved it and want to see it again. I think my eyes accidentally closed for a few seconds. And the dances are so doggone short! ... getting a little longer though, I think, in wk. 5.

Last edited:

Sylvia

ETA that all of Johnny and Britt's dances so far are included their DWTS playlist that's being updated weekly:

Last edited:

skylark

I finally got to watch Johnny's contemporary dance again; thanks @Sylvia.

I agree with Derek. It's a perfect dance.

I like how attentive Johnny is to Brit. I think he likes being a partner. I love his attention to the movements and the details, pointing his toes. And I love how in this dance, he danced full out. 🥰

antmanb

I've only just caught up watching the last few dances and i'm really glad that he looks more relaxed. In the earlier dances he seemed really stiff but he's a lot looser now - I loved the contemporary dance.

And I loved that the Salsa costume was very on brand for Johnny :cheer2:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Was worried about Johnny this week. The costume choice was gonna alienate a good portion of the DWTS fans - I know he was playing with gender, but does he want to stay? Glad He squeaked through but they have got to calibrate.
Ballroom dance has pretty strictly defined gender roles and presentations. I was wondering how that was going to fit with the boundary-stretching that Johnny likes to do - which I actually appreciate, but I can see the ballroom purists and traditionalists not being comfortable with it.

skatfan

Ballroom dance has pretty strictly defined gender roles and presentations. I was wondering how that was going to fit with the boundary-stretching that Johnny likes to do - which I actually appreciate, but I can see the ballroom purists and traditionalists not being comfortable with it.
The voters skew older and more conservative, so it's not going to be their cup o tea. As long as he knows what the consequences are for his pro, I'm ok.

antmanb

Change has to start from somewhere though. Our version - Strictly Come Dancing has finally allowed the first same sex dance couple on the show. The usual right wing rags are awash with "lesbian DEMANDED same sex partner" so we'll see how much influence they have in getting her voted off early.

I applaud anyone willing to put themselves in the firing line to try and open people's minds like that.

Jubak

Johnny is a bit heavier than we have ever seen him as he's not skating. I will qualify this as "not fat shaming" as he's not fat. The other male figure skaters came right off of their competitive careers. I was expecting more, but darn, what a way to go on DWTS. No Tom Bergeron. No audience (an Johnny feeds off of an audience) Covid, new competitive pro. He also has had some pairs experience from years ago, if I remember correctly, and I'm surprised it hasn't helped him more. I basically just watch his program on You-Tube & maybe Skai's. If I never have to see a Bachelor or Bachelorette contestant again, I would be thrilled.

I'm going to watch Strictly on iPlayer to see how their dancers handle it. DWTS just doesn't compare to Strictly for me (and I'm an American). Strictly has Craig Revel-Horwood and the judges just don't give out high scores for no reason, even Bruno. DWTS wouldn't be able to handle Craig but I'd love to see them try.

Sylvia

But now that the Olympian is on to Halloween night, he is planning something special for his fans. Johnny’s most requested program that he’s ever done is “Creep,” which Britt is going to translate into a Viennese Waltz, but to keep it fresh, it will also be performed to a different cover than Johnny normally skates to. They will dance to a version by Vincent/Kimberly Nichole, with Johnny dressed in a costume inspired by Dracula.
Johnny has been skating to “Creep” on ice for about five years now and says it has brought joy and comfort to many people who may feel like outsiders.
“The things that make you feel like a creep or weirdo are actually the things that make you so special,” he added. “I love it on the ice. I’m so excited to bring it to the ballroom. Just hearing the first few chords of ‘Creep’ makes me well up with tears, so we’re going to bring that emotion, we’re going to bring beauty, and we’re going to make it so much more special than just Johnny in a vampire costume.”

Britt has been documenting her DWTS experience with Johnny for GMA (links posted in reverse chronological order below):

Each week, Johnny has been progressing and growing so much. He has been exceeding my expectations and I want to continue to share him and his journey with our audience. I admire Johnny. He dares to be different, and is always his unique and authentic self in his performance, interviews and costuming. I do my best to showcase that in our choreography.
We both started rehearsal Tuesday on fire, with energy from being in the bottom two still running through our veins! We want to be back on top and are going into this week of rehearsals with that in mind.
This Halloween-themed week -- "Villains Night" -- we are doing a Viennese waltz to "Creep." This is a song that is extremely important to Johnny both professionally and personally.
Johnny's skating program to "Creep" is one of his most beloved and requested performances and one that is very special to him. Beyond that, he is personally connected to this piece of music. This song celebrates individuality and the beauty in being different! Can't be more Johnny than that!

Sylvia

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information