Jeremy Abbott announces retirement

maureenfarone

Some of his performances that I was lucky enough to see were among the best skating I have ever seen, period. When he was "on" he had those moments where everything just floated effortlessly. I really appreciated how he would wait for the phrasing in the music and react to that, not to feel like he had to go 10,000 miles an hour and be doing something every nanosecond.

I understand his decision but I will miss those transcendent moments and his superb basic skating skills. Thank you, Jeremy.
You certainly spoke for me with your post! I will miss Jeremy, but wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Tom Dickson from 2010 manleywoman podcast discusses working with Jeremy Abbott on figures:

"Jeremy Abbott, my first lesson with him was an outside eight. He’s done some figures, I think he passed his second test, but he didn’t remember how difficult an outside eight was [laughs]. He had a great run of his blade, but he had some issues like — I call it balancing your head on your spine, and we went back to the outside eight as a way of learning that. And he was like, wow, I didn’t realize how difficult this is. And he still does stuff like that. In the past I’d given him some very simple exercises to do very slowly, like doing a forward inside choctaw to a back outside counter, and he still does those. Often he’ll pick one and do it before they call his name to go out and skate. He likes the calming balancing influence on his skating. And I think that’s an element that skaters don’t have in their repertoire these days, is that calming sort of concentrated feeling that figures give you. I call it yoga on ice."

DDNatalia

Jeremy mentions developing shows. He has done some on a more moderate scale before IIRC such as raising funds for young skaters in his native Aspen CO. Hope he is able to harness the skills and funds to give it a go on a larger scale. Would be great to see what artistic vision he could bring to an entire production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information