Jeopardy

skatingguy

decently
Just starting a general thread to discuss the show because it seems weird to continue the 'RIP Alex Trebek' thread through many discussions that have nothing to do with Alex Trebek.

skatingguy

decently
This thread got buried, but I wanted to mention how good she looked the other night. She had on a black pantsuit and a black floral blouse that wasn't buttoned all the way up to the top or with a bow. Not low cut, just normal and respectable.

Susan1

Actually, I think it was sort of decided last year to keep the Alex Trebek title in memory of him after another Jeopardy thread was started this summer. Maybe someone could just add the word Jeopardy at the beginning of the Alex Trebek thread and merge all of them?

sk9tingfan

The Second Chance tournament starts tonight and lasts for two weeks, followed by what should be an epic Tournaments of Champions. :watch:

screech

I can't stand Ken Jennings as host. His voice is too high & he talks too fast. Mayim Bialek is much better.
During the initial 'trial' period of hostis, I really liked Mayim and thought Ken was just okay (though better than I expected). Now after a long run, I MUCH prefer Ken. Mayim still does not have the timing/rhythm down and sometimes sounds like she's teaching kindergarten when she does the clues/responses/interviews. Ken is much more natural.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I can't stand Ken Jennings as host. His voice is too high & he talks too fast. Mayim Bialek is much better.
During the initial 'trial' period of hostis, I really liked Mayim and thought Ken was just okay (though better than I expected). Now after a long run, I MUCH prefer Ken. Mayim still does not have the timing/rhythm down and sometimes sounds like she's teaching kindergarten when she does the clues/responses/interviews. Ken is much more natural.
Choosing which host is better reminds me of how Jerry, Kramer, George and Elaine used to label some of the people they met (and invariably disliked) as High Talkers, Close Talkers, and Soft Talkers.

I wonder where Ken and Mayim would fit into the Seinfeld Universe?

Susan1

Back when so many people were winning multiple games in a row with gigantic scores, I said the people that had to compete against them should get to come back for a more fair chance. They just had the first week of the Second Chance Tournament.

annie720

I've enjoyed watching the Tournament of Champions so far - who will win??
I’m enjoying it a lot! My wish is that they each win two games, so Sam has to win the next couple.

screech

There's a bit of outcry over Wednesday's game. People saying that Final Jeopardy was wrong, and Sam was the rightful winner of that game, which Andrew won. The upset from Jeopardy fans is so big that it appeared on my Twitter trending feed, and people are saying that if Andrew wins overall, there should be an asterisk next to his name.

The clue:
“Paul’s letter to them is the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations.”

Amy's answer: Hebrews (deemed correct by Ken, though not enough $ to win)
Andrew's answer: Philippiaes (incorrect, but had enough $ to win)
Sam's answer: Romans (deemed incorrect by Ken - had enough $ that he would have won the game if deemed correct)

The outcry is that while Hebrews does have the most Old Testament quotations, it is not conclusively known who wrote it. It IS known that Paul wrote Romans.
The wording of the clue is the issue, since if ignoring the Paul part, Amy's answer is correct, but if you take into account the Paul part, Sam's could be correct.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
There's a bit of outcry over Wednesday's game. People saying that Final Jeopardy was wrong, and Sam was the rightful winner of that game, which Andrew won. The upset from Jeopardy fans is so big that it appeared on my Twitter trending feed, and people are saying that if Andrew wins overall, there should be an asterisk next to his name.

The clue:
“Paul’s letter to them is the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations.”

Amy's answer: Hebrews (deemed correct by Ken, though not enough $ to win)
Andrew's answer: Philippiaes (incorrect, but had enough $ to win)
Sam's answer: Romans (deemed incorrect by Ken - had enough $ that he would have won the game if deemed correct)

The outcry is that while Hebrews does have the most Old Testament quotations, it is not conclusively known who wrote it. It IS known that Paul wrote Romans.
The wording of the clue is the issue, since if ignoring the Paul part, Amy's answer is correct, but if you take into account the Paul part, Sam's could be correct.
I don't remember Alex Trebek's rulings being so controversial. And if any of them were iffy they got corrected after the next commercial break. Ken seems to get many wrong but they seldom get corrected.

Winnipeg

I have the show less interesting with Ken as the host. No idea why but my interest has simply decreased.

I cannot imagine what WHeel of Fortune will be like without Pat Sajak; he is great.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Looking forward to watching tonight, and have it autotuned. Glad Mayim is hosting the daytime jeopardy this week. I'm wishing Amy and Matt the best of luck. I really like both of them a lot. Anyway, it will be fun to watch.

Every now and then I get surprised and know something that the contestants don't know. Now that tickles me to death when it happens. Having lived a few years does pay off sometimes. :lol:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Jeopardy! Masters premieres tonight -- Monday, May 8 -- at 8:00 pm ET on ABC with former champions Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, Mattea Roach, Sam Buttrey, Andrew He, and James Holzhauer:
I wish I had seen this earlier. I missed it.

I like Ken Jennings. He has really grown into the host role. Never liked Mayim.
Would love to watch the champions again. Loved Amy Scheider. So humble. Didn't like Matt Amodio. Missed most of James H.'s run.

screech

Watching James again.... man I missed him. Those nerve wracking all-in wagers... reminds me of why I used to watch the show every day when he was doing his run.
Also loved his banter with Ken.
Also Ken's banter with Amy - when Amy mentioned winning 40 games to Matt to playfully rib him, then Ken mentioned winning 50, 60, etc.

Nice to see the TOC contestants from this past season back, but since they brought James for this, it would have been nice to have some other 'masters' from other seasons, like Buzzy. Instead it kind of feels like the 2022 season plus James show.

Sylvia

TBD
I wish I had seen this earlier. I missed it.
Yesterday was just the first day (2 episodes) with many more to come:

sk9tingfan

Am catching up on the Masters Tournament. One of the clues on the Double Jeopardy round dealt with the Periodic Table:

This radioactive element was named for Nobel-winning American chemist Glenn.

It has been over 50 years since I took chemistry and many additional elements have been discovered since then. I realized that it probably related to Glenn Seaborg who my brother TA'ed for when he was out at Berkeley for his PhD. I'm not yet senile.:D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
No Jeopardy masters tonight? I watched last two nights on ABC
ETA- just saw the schedule. Odd that there is no game on Thursday.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Jeopardy! Masters will be back tomorrow night.

Deadline and Vulture report Bialik will be sitting out the last week of Season 39 — which is scheduled to shoot at the Sony Pictures lot in Culver City between May 16 and May 19 — in solidarity with the striking writers. However, Jeopardy! will continue with Ken Jennings, who shares co-hosting duties with Bialik, taking over as host for those shows.
Jeopardy! uses Writers Guild of America (WGA) writers for the game clues. Those writers — including Michele Loud, Jim Rhine and Billy Wisse — have been on strike with the WGA since May 1. This likely isn't obvious yet to viewers because the show tapes in advance. The writers have also banked clues well into the future so that production could continue.

screech

I'm not surprised that Ken will host those shows. Not out of disrespect for the WGA or anything, but because he's also a producer. And Mayim also probably has a different relationship with writers than Ken does, due to her acting career.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I'm not a fan of Mayim AT ALL, but I do respect her decision to stand in solidarity with the writers.

I'm really loving the Masters tournament, even if my favorite Sam Buttery is gone. At least Andrew is still in! I like the banter between all the contestants, but I do wish someone would take James down a peg or ten or an entire ladder.

hoptoad

One of the contestants gave a shout out to the writers this week, but I forget who it was.

I also love Sam - I was rooting for him to win at least one game. :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information