Jason Gatlin- can he overtake Usian Bolt as best 100 metre runner ever?

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
I hope not that but I just realize he now has nearly as many Track and Fields news ranking #1 ranking years as Bolt in the 100 (6 to 5) after they recently named him 2017 #1 over Coleman. Can he equal Bolt as the best 100 runner ever with a 6th or surpass him with a 7th. I sure hope not, as I believe he is still doping even today, and I believe Bolt is clean, and also a class act which Gatlin is not.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
Can a cheater overtake an 8-time Olympic gold medalist and an international enigma?!?

Yeah no.

I like to think you are right of course, but I am just looking at this:

https://trackandfieldnews.com/images/stories/Rankings/01-m100Rank.pdf

You can see Gatlin just won his 5th in the 100 metres, which is almost as many as Bolt's 6. I hope he doesnt win another to tie his 6 or even a 7th to surpass. I dont know how much credence Track and Field news rankings gets in the Track and Field world though.

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
No - Christian Coleman (USA) has by far the best chance to be the next sprinting star. Sorry Andre de Grasse fans! :p

I agree, and I am Canadian. It is tragic de Grasse had to miss worlds this year though. I am 90% sure he would have won both the 100 and 200, and it might have been his best chance ever. What rotten luck and timing to be injured.

ilovepaydays

I agree, and I am Canadian. It is tragic de Grasse had to miss worlds this year though. I am 90% sure he would have won both the 100 and 200, and it might have been his best chance ever. What rotten luck and timing to be injured.

It’s also a shame Noah Lyles was injured for the 200 as well. :)

Hopefully, there willl be a rivalry and we’ll see a lot of matchups. That was the bummer from the last Olympic quad - Although Bolt won major titles, he didn’t race that much.

I think the sport of track & field would benefit from more high quality matchups - especially if the drew a bit of TV and sponsorship appeal.

I’m looking forward to the 2018 Indoor Worlds next month! :D

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
It’s also a shame Noah Lyles was injured for the 200 as well. :)

Hopefully, there willl be a rivalry and we’ll see a lot of matchups. That was the bummer from the last Olympic quad - Although Bolt won major titles, he didn’t race that much.

I think the sport of track & field would benefit from more high quality matchups - especially if the drew a bit of TV and sponsorship appeal.

I’m looking forward to the 2018 Indoor Worlds next month! :D

Agreed, and the last Olympic quad since with Bolt racing only sparingly we were subjected to a lot of Justin Cheatlin dominance on the grand prix and golden league throught the season every year, barf.

The upcoming quad should be far better and far more promising despite the so so 100 meters and dissapointing 200 metres at worlds.

I am really curious too to see how Van Niekerk develops as a 200 runner as he seems intent on trying to become a star there too.

ilovepaydays

Do you think Coleman will start running the 200 more? He certainly has the talent to do so, although he seems more 100 focused right now.

Maybe - but like I said earlier, watch out for Noah Lyles (USA) in the 200m.

I am really curious too to see how Van Niekerk develops as a 200 runner as he seems intent on trying to become a star there too.

It depends on how soon and well Van Niekerk recovers from that ACL tear from playing rugby. (Seriously, why was he playing rugby? :rolleyes: I though most sponsors have in their contacts that the athletes can’t do certain activities.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information