Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Rika - so smart to do the second 3flip3toe after popping the first 3axel. I couldn't even figure that out while watching it live. I think she can absolutely challenge for World bronze if Trusova exhibits the sort of vulnerability like she had in recent comps.

I am simply puzzled how Kaori got the highest PCS in the entire competition. She doesn't deserve the highest PCS even when she was clean. Here she made a bunch of mistakes. I wonder what happened there.

Overall I am glad Wakaba and Kaori got the attempts of the new big jumps out of the way, it looked Wakaba's attempt was closer. Better luck at Worlds.

Yuzuru was predictably awesome. Was a bit bugged that he was repeating programs yet again, but can't argue with the perfection of the short. If the 4lutz attempt makes him rattled, I wonder how the 4axel attempt at Worlds will rattle the rest of his program. I actually do believe he aims to land the 4axel more than he aims to regain the world title.

So very impressed by Yuma. Both Nationals and this comp showed that he is ready for Sr Worlds. Why not send him this season? Keiji didn't make much out of the few times he went to Worlds, and since there is little risk of losing that 3rd spot and Keiji wasn't going to be the top 2 Japanese men at Worlds anyways, might as well invest in a young promising skater. If not Yuma this season, it's going to be Yuma, Shun, Sota and Kazuki fighting Keiji for the final spot next season anyways. Keiji really is the least talented in this bunch. For me sending Keiji to Worlds is a spot wasted.

Kazuki was also awesome but not as bright compared to Yuma. Just a little bit dull in comparison.

RoseRed

Rika - so smart to do the second 3flip3toe after popping the first 3axel. I couldn't even figure that out while watching it live. I think she can absolutely challenge for World bronze if Trusova exhibits the sort of vulnerability like she had in recent comps.

I am simply puzzled how Kaori got the highest PCS in the entire competition. She doesn't deserve the highest PCS even when she was clean. Here she made a bunch of mistakes. I wonder what happened there.

Overall I am glad Wakaba and Kaori got the attempts of the new big jumps out of the way, it looked Wakaba's attempt was closer. Better luck at Worlds.

Yuzuru was predictably awesome. Was a bit bugged that he was repeating programs yet again, but can't argue with the perfection of the short. If the 4lutz attempt makes him rattled, I wonder how the 4axel attempt at Worlds will rattle the rest of his program. I actually do believe he aims to land the 4axel more than he aims to regain the world title.

So very impressed by Yuma. Both Nationals and this comp showed that he is ready for Sr Worlds. Why not send him this season? Keiji didn't make much out of the few times he went to Worlds, and since there is little risk of losing that 3rd spot and Keiji wasn't going to be the top 2 Japanese men at Worlds anyways, might as well invest in a young promising skater. If not Yuma this season, it's going to be Yuma, Shun, Sota and Kazuki fighting Keiji for the final spot next season anyways. Keiji really is the least talented in this bunch. For me sending Keiji to Worlds is a spot wasted.

Kazuki was also awesome but not as bright compared to Yuma. Just a little bit dull in comparison.
She didn't though. She won the SP PCS and was 4th in the FS PCS. Overall she was 3rd, behind Bradie and Rika. Probably a bit high given the mistakes, but not the highest in the whole event.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think it's really sweet how this was a repeat title for Kihira, Sui/Han, and Chock/Bates, but a first for Hanyu, who has so many titles and accomplishments.that it's not as easy to find a first title for him, at least in the middle of an Olympic cycle.

Fairuza

I think it's really sweet how this was a repeat title for Kihira, Sui/Han, and Chock/Bates, but a first for Hanyu, who has so many titles and accomplishments.that it's not as easy to find a first title for him, at least in the middle of an Olympic cycle.
But none of them can boast of having three silvers from the same competition. :D

nimi

While getting the gold at the Bavarian Open isn't quite as prestigious as medalling at Four Continents, let's give Shun Sato some love! He won the very first senior international he's competed in and now has the sr TES minimums. I think it's also good for both Yuma and Shun that they're rising through the ranks together and competing against each other, so neither has to bear the weight of expectations alone as they move onto seniors.

denise3lz

While Kagiyama and Sato shines at Senior International,
The last crow, Kao Miura 14 yo, won Inter Junior High School competition,
landed 4S, 4T and 3A in FS and total score exceeded 200 mark first time for him.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
KyodoNews writer tweeted Sota Yamamoto went back to Coach Yusuke Hayashi. Sota used to train under Coach Hayashi. (IIRC he's Sota's first coach. Keiji Tanaka is training under Coach Hayashi as well.)
https://twitter.com/kyodonewsports/status/1231553122608308224

The writer tweeted Sota wanted to train in a circumstance where another top male skater is training. Coach Hayashi will sit in a K'nC with Sota at Coupe de Printemps in March.

Marco

KyodoNews writer tweeted Sota Yamamoto went back to Coach Yusuke Hayashi. Sota used to train under Coach Hayashi. (IIRC he's Sota's first coach. Keiji Tanaka is training under Coach Hayashi as well.)
https://twitter.com/kyodonewsports/status/1231553122608308224

The writer tweeted Sota wanted to train in a circumstance where another top male skater is training. Coach Hayashi will sit in a K'nC with Sota at Coupe de Printemps in March.

I wish Sota would aim higher. :p At least train along Shun or Yuma if not Yuzuru or Shoma.

denise3lz

Rin NITAYA retracts her retirement.

J

Jeschke

Rin NITAYA retracts her retirement.
What? She goes on?
Why the change of mind?

Not sure what to think. Her nationals outing would have been such an awesome end to a career.
I can't see her making the team or getting close in the years to come to be honest.
Hm. Well, go girl! :respec:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
According to Chisato Matsuura's instagram, it seems JSF cancelled sending their skaters to Coupe de Printenms.

denise3lz

According to Chisato Matsuura's instagram, it seems JSF cancelled sending their skaters to Coupe de Printenms.
Chisato Uramatsu

Their comment was mostly about how Kinayu Yokoi can hold certificate of merit without hand and medal. :eek:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Osaka & Aichi shows of SOI Japan tour were cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic. They say at this point Hachinohe & Yokohama shows are still to be held, but it depends on circumstances.

Akita show of Mao's Thanks Tour was postponed. New dates are TBA. She wishes this pandemic will end soon and people stay safe.

Last edited:

kittyjake5

denise3lz

Apparenlty Hanna Yoshida changes coach from Yuko Monna to Mie Hamada.

Hamada group is now called Kinoshida Academy.

General Manager: Mie Hamada
Head Coach: Yamato Tamura
Coach: Satsuki Muramoto
Coach: Hiroaki Sato
Guest Coach: Stéphane Lambiel
Guest Coach: Ghislain Briand

Training Rink
Kinoshita Academy Ice Arena (Izumisano, Osaka) aka KANKU Ice arena
Kinoshita Academy Kyoto Ice Arena (Uji, Kyoto) aka Kyoto Uji Ice arena

Bellanca

Messages from some JPN skaters to the world on Miki‘s IG (incl Miki, Muramoto/Takahashi,Tanaka, Rika Hongo, K/K, Nitaya, etc)
That was great! Everyone appears to be in good spirits. Loved Yuka’s walk-on guest! Also, so good to see Shizuka! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

ostile17

Messages from some JPN skaters to the world on Miki‘s IG (incl Miki, Muramoto/Takahashi,Tanaka, Rika Hongo, K/K, Nitaya, etc)

Translation of Daisuke Takahashi's message (sorry I don't have the others):

Long time no see, it’s Daisuke. (Kana is here.) Under such a difficult situation, it’s hard to have an ordinary life now, but I believe there’re things we can do even now. So let’s try to find them and overcome (this hard time) together!

GloriaW

Translation of Daisuke Takahashi's message (sorry I don't have the others):

Long time no see, it’s Daisuke. (Kana is here.) Under such a difficult situation, it’s hard to have an ordinary life now, but I believe there’re things we can do even now. So let’s try to find them and overcome (this hard time) together!

More translations please!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shu Nakamura retired. He left Kansai University as well. His father runs Sushi restrant(s). He wants to be his father's successor.

He said the r word came to his mind when he saw Saitama Worlds since he couldn't imagine he can be on the same level as (Hanyu and) Shoma who's been his rival in his mind for years. Last August He told his coach that he planned to retire after 2019-2020 season.
_____

BTW, it's been so tough for skaters this season with the pandemic. We may see more retirements of student skaters this season than usual. I wish it will not.

Bellanca

BTW, it's been so tough for skaters this season with the *********. We may see more retirements of student skaters this season than usual. I wish it will not
Yes, because even a small amount of training time lost can feel like a decade. A very tough blow, indeed. Skaters who are on the tail end of their competitive careers — or attempting comebacks (working their way back up to the top-tier) may find it hard, if not impossible to do. We’ll see, eventually.

mikeko

Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi have been back in Japan since Hertz Arena in Florida was closed. They are currently training without a coach in Osaka. They appeared on a Japanese TV program last night.

Dai said training without a coach helped them understand each other better because they had to communicate more.

It is interesting to see Charlie, when he and Meryl gave them a lesson back in January, saying (10:00-) "It's like maybe they've been secretly training for a year. It almost seems unfair how quickly they are progressing." :lol:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Rika Kihira revealed today that she works with Brian Orser as her second coach. Hamada remains her main coach.

ETA:
Another article says she'll start training in Cricket Club in Toronto as soon as the restrictions allow her to enter Canada. She'll train both in Canada and Japan.
___

I wonder if her main coach eventually will be Orser like Miyahara mainly worked with Barkell although it was announced at first that she would train both in Canada and Tokyo.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Hidehito Ito of JSF revealed today that they will hold all the six Regionals & Novice Nationals (Sept-Oct) with no spectators due to corona virus pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information