Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimi

Article about Rika's ankle. The 3Lz is no-go, and if I understood correctly, the prolonged symptoms make doctors think that there might be tendon damage, as opposed to just ligament damage. :(

Her 4S looks fine in practice, though :eek:

Jonas

After watching the men's FS at the Jr. Grand Prix Final, I gotta say that the men's event at Japanese Nationals should be quite exciting! (This year, probably more exciting than the ladies!) I think both Sato and Kagiyama can make some splashes on the senior level. I double checked their bios and they're both age eligible to join Yuzu in Montreal! They both have the overall skill set to do so and delivered stronger FS at the Jr. Final than anything any of the other Japanese men, including Shoma Uno, put out in the senior events. Sato delivered one of those "in the zone, out of the ball park" performances complete with three clean quads! Kagiyama didn't try a 4Lutz like Sato (and Yuzu) and wasn't as flawless jumpwise, but his speed and ease of movement are something else! If they both outskate the more experienced seniors and medal at Japanese Nationals, I see absolutely no reason for Japan to purposely hold them back. I'll bet that at least one of them will do just that and be named to Japan's World Team.

Your thoughts...

RoseRed

After watching the men's FS at the Jr. Grand Prix Final, I gotta say that the men's event at Japanese Nationals should be quite exciting! (This year, probably more exciting than the ladies!) I think both Sato and Kagiyama can make some splashes on the senior level. I double checked their bios and they're both age eligible to join Yuzu in Montreal! They both have the overall skill set to do so and delivered stronger FS at the Jr. Final than anything any of the other Japanese men, including Shoma Uno, put out in the senior events. Sato delivered one of those "in the zone, out of the ball park" performances complete with three clean quads! Kagiyama didn't try a 4Lutz like Sato (and Yuzu) and wasn't as flawless jumpwise, but his speed and ease of movement are something else! If they both outskate the more experienced seniors and medal at Japanese Nationals, I see absolutely no reason for Japan to purposely hold them back. I'll bet that at least one of them will do just that and be named to Japan's World Team.

Your thoughts...
Shun doesn't have the senior tech minimums. Yuma does.

denise3lz

10 men capable of quad at this year Nationals

Yuzuru Hanyu (4Lz, 4Lo, 4S, 4T) return of the King
Shoma Uno (4F, 4Lo?, 4S, 4T)
Keiji Tanaka (4S, 4T)
Kazuki Tomono (4S, 4T) added 4T
Sota Yamamoto (4S, 4T) added 4S
Koshiro Shimada (4T)
Hiroaki Sato (4T) last season
Yuma Kagiyama (4T) acquires quad this season
Shun Sato (4Lz, 4Lo?, 4S?, 4T) added 4Lz
Nozomu Yoshioka (4T) new from Junior

excluded Daisuke Takahashi who don't have quad anymore

Am I missing someone or something ?

Unfortunately 14 years old Kao Miura who already landed 4S and 4T in competition could not make Senior Naitonal debut.

denise3lz

'only' 3 ladies capable of 3A at National

Rika Kihira
Mana Kawabe
Hanna Yoshida

Unfortunately Ayaka Hosoda and Kinayu Yokoi could not qualify to Senior National.

Apparently Sui Takeuichi who landed 2 seasons ago (Inter High School, Feb 2018) lost ability.

who else will land it ?

Sylvia

TBD
Article about Marin Honda, invited by Miyabi Oba to compete the Aichi prefectural figure skating competition held in Nagoya City. SP only event was on Dec. 8th & Marin's jumps landed were 3Lo (planned combo), 3F+3T<, 2A:
This person tweeted she did a 3Lo+3Lo in the warmup: https://twitter.com/0409_Obi/status/1203563959426502656

SP results: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1204267493348392961
29th Aichi Figure Skating Competition Ladies’ top 6 (SP only) *No age limit, level 7 skaters
1 Rino Matsuike 66.86 2 Marin Honda 66.40 3 Mako Yamashita 62.62 4 Nana Araki 61.62 5 Rino Kasakake 60.62 6 Hana Yoshida 59.20
Matsuike, 15, won bronze in her JGP debut in Riga this fall: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107894.htm

ETA: Japanese results page link is posted in the Kiss & Cry section.

Last edited:

denise3lz

"Aichi prefectural figure skating competition" was established as "Kozuka trophy" in 1989.
It was named after Mitsuhiko Kozuka (1916 - July 26,2011), grandfather of Takahiko.
Originally the competition was aimed to brush up presentation skills after abolition of Compulsory figures.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Are there any updates on Mai‘s condition? 😳
I just found someone who looks very much Mai-ish in Richaud's IG Stories. He posted a short clip of Kaori in a rink. The skater in a red sweat with pony tail looks just like Mai! If it is she, I'm happy to see Mai is back on the ice! Even if it's not anything near normal training, I'm just glad she is out of hospital and can get on the ice. :giggle: I'm expecting to hear about Mai from Coach Nakano during Nationals when she is interviewed.

nimi

I just found someone who looks very much Mai-ish in Richaud's IG Stories. He posted a short clip of Kaori in a rink. The skater in a red sweat with pony tail looks just like Mai! If it is she, I'm happy to see Mai is back on the ice! Even if it's not anything near normal training, I'm just glad she is out of hospital and can get on the ice. :giggle: I'm expecting to hear about Mai from Coach Nakano during Nationals when she is interviewed.
Apparently Mai's health condition is indeed getting better!

Dobre

Rikako Fukase & Eichu Cho are signed up as a team for Mentor Torun Cup. I did a quick search, and apparently they competed in Japan's Western Championships. That is all I found on him via a quick search. She was listed as competing with an Oliver Zhang this summer. Is Eichu Cho another version of the same name? I am asking because the images I found look like the same person, but the video of one is blurry.

RoseRed

Rikako Fukase & Eichu Cho are signed up as a team for Mentor Torun Cup. I did a quick search, and apparently they competed in Japan's Western Championships. That is all I found on him via a quick search. She was listed as competing with an Oliver Zhang this summer. Is Eichu Cho another version of the same name? I am asking because the images I found look like the same person, but the video of one is blurry.
I'm pretty sure it's the same guy. Her instagram post today includes the team name as Fukase/Zhang when I put it through google translate (深瀬/張 組), and from the pictures the guy she was with at Western Championships is that same as this summer.

Sylvia

TBD
Japan Nationals starts in Tokyo on Thursday, Dec. 19 and runs through Sunday, Dec. 22, 2019 - link to the competition info thread in the Kiss & Cry section: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...pionship-in-tokyo-december-18-22-2019.106559/

For those without Kiss & Cry access, I've copied out all the entries in English.

(Grand Prix skaters are bolded below and Junior Nationals invited skaters/E & W Section singles placements are noted, listed in order of total score from sectionals)

MEN (30)
Yuzuru HANYU (Seed)
Shoma UNO (Seed)
Daisuke TAKAHASHI (Seed)
Keiji TANAKA (Seed)
Koshiro SHIMADA (Bye)
Kazuki TOMONO W1
Sota YAMAMOTO W2
Mitsuki SUMOTO W3
Ryuju HINO W4
Shu NAKAMURA W5
Taichiro YAMAKUMA E1
Taichi HONDA W6
Hiroaki SATO E2
Hidetsugu KAMATA E3
Junya WATANABE W7
Yuki KUNIKATA E4
Kousuke NAKANO W8
Reo ISHIZUKA E5
Koshin YAMADA W9
Jun SUZUKI E6
Kazuki KUSHIDA W10
Naoki ODA W11
Takayuki YAMAMOTO W12
Junsuke TOKIKUNI W13
Invited juniors:
Yuma KAGIYAMA J1 (JGP Final, 4th; selected for YOG)
Shun SATO J2 (JGP Final, 1st)
Lucas Tsuyoshi HONDA J3
Tatsuya TSUBOI J4
Nozomu YOSHIOKA J5
Yuto KISHINA J6

LADIES (30)
Kaori SAKAMOTO (Seed)
Rika KIHIRA (Seed)
Satoko MIYAHARA (Seed)
Wakaba HIGUCHI (Bye)
Marin HONDA (Bye)
Yuna SHIRAIWA (Bye)
Yuhana YOKOI W1
Rin NITAYA W2
Sakura YAMADA W3
Rino KASAKAKE W4
Yura MATSUDA W5
Yuka NAGAI E1
Mako YAMASHITA W6
Hina TAKENO W7
Saki MIYAKE W8
Hinano ISOBE W9
Kouna TSUUCHI W10
Miyabi OBA W11
Niina TAKENO W12
Honoka HIROTANI E2
Ibuki SATOH E3
Akari MATSUBARA E4
Chihiro INOUE E5
Rika OYA E6
Invited juniors:
Mana KAWABE J1 (JGP this year; selected for YOG)
Tomoe KAWABATA J2 (JGP)
Hanna YOSHIDA J3
Shiika YOSHIOKA J5 (JGP)
Mone CHIBA J6
Chisato URAMATSU J7 (JGP)

PAIRS (1)
Riku MIURA / Ryuichi KIHARA

ICE DANCE (4)
Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO (Bye)
Rikako FUKASE / Oliver ZHANG E1
Yuka EDAMURA / Daiki SHIMAZAKI E2
Kiria HIRAYAMA / Kenta ISHIBASHI W1

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Yuna Shiraiwa withdrew from Nats. She broke her right ankle and leg. She needs to take a rest for eight weeks.

Dobre

Yuna Shiraiwa withdrew from Nats. She broke her right ankle and leg. She needs to take a rest for eight weeks.

Yikes! What a season. Take time and heal, Yuna. You will be missed!

feraina

Is there any replacement? Or is it too late?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Is there any replacement? Or is it too late?
The WD announcement was just before the drawing. So I'm not sure replacement was possible. We haven't been informed of any replacement yet anyway.

Wish quick and complete recovery for Yuna! Stay positie!

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shoma: With all the mess I started this season. But now things are being settled. I dunno whether the announcement is coming yet. So I dunno I can say something today. But maybe everyone is guessing I'll move to Lambiel. Maybe I should not announce it yet. But I have said it already. hahahahaha :saint:

:rofl:

Tinami Amori

.. and few more months to be able to train at full capacity. wishing her quick recovery.

Sylvia

TBD
According to a machine translation of this same article ( https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/12/18/kiji/20191218s00079000116000c.html ) re. Yuna Shiraiwa:
"Right shin, ankle injury. The diagnosis was “right tibia / talar bone / chondral bone injury, right overworked tibial pain, right anterior heel ligament injury”, and a rest of about 8 weeks was required."

Since she had a bye to Nationals (due to her Grand Prix assignment timing), there wouldn't be an alternate, right? ETA: 29 ladies are listed after the SP draw.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

JN Opening event/draws/Hanyu and others.

... and what a pleasure to watch, everyone is dressed and behaves properly.. :lol:

Tinami Amori

Can someone please help me find where in "competition section" there is Japanese Nationals 2020 topic?
I found "predictions" and "qualifying competitions" but not the main event.

Sylvia

TBD
Nationals results...

Men with total scores above 200:
GOLD Shoma Uno 290.57 2 1 (184.86 FS) - his 4th straight national title (first time competing with Hanyu here) & 5th overall
SILVER Yuzuru Hanyu 282.77 1 3 (172.05)
BRONZE Yuma Kagiyama [J1/JGPF-4] 257.99 7 2 (180.58) :) (ETA: he has the Worlds minimum scores from 2019 Challenge Cup; assigned to Youth Olympic Games)
4 Keiji Tanaka 252.44 4 5 (171.54)
5 Shun Sato [J2/JGPF-1] 246.50 3 6 (163.82)
6 Kazuki Tomono 244.69 11 4 (171.63)
7 Sota Yamamoto 220.49 13 7 (152.33)
8 Mitsuki Sumoto 220.28 12 8 (147.47)
9 Hiroaki Sato 215.23 6 11 (136.39)
10 Koshiro Shimada 212.24 5 13 (131.65)
11 Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda [J3] 209.96 9 12 (134.24)
12 Daisuke Takahashi 204.31 14 10 (138.36)
13 Ryuju Hino 202.73 18 9 (140.26)

Ladies top 11:
GOLD Rika Kihira 229.20 1 1 (155.22 FS) - her first national title
SILVER Wakaba Higuchi 206.61 4 2 (138.51)
BRONZE Tomoe Kawabata [J2] 193.96 7 3 (128.43)
4 Satoko Miyahara 191.43 2 6 (121.32)
5 Yuhana Yokoi 190.92 9 4 (128.02)
6 Kaori Sakamoto 188.26 3 7 (118.31)
7 Rin Nitaya 184.26 10 5 (121.99)
8 Marin Honda 181.34 6 8 (115.42)
9 Yuka Nagai 173.88 8 12 (109.10)
10 Shiika Yoshioka [J5] 171.44 11 11 (110.55)
11 Mako Yamashita 170.75 5 16 (104.11)

When will the Worlds/4CC/JR Worlds teams be announced?

ETA:
After watching the men's FS at the Jr. Grand Prix Final, I gotta say that the men's event at Japanese Nationals should be quite exciting! (This year, probably more exciting than the ladies!) I think both Sato and Kagiyama can make some splashes on the senior level.
Yes they did! Shun Sato was 3rd in the SP and Yuma Kagiyama was 2nd in the FS! I really hope Kagiyama will be considered for Montreal Worlds since he already has the minimum scores.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
World team announced:

Rika Kihira, Wakaba Higuchi, Satoko Miyahara
Shoma Uno, Yuzuru Hanyu, Keiji Tanaka

Also: https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/1208747911166578688
Miura/Kihara (pairs) & Komatsubara/Koleto (dance)

ETA:

4CC: https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/1208747564977160192
Rika Kihira, Wakaba Higuchi, Kaori Sakamoto
Shoma Uno, Yuzuru Hanyu (will he go?), Yuma Kagiyama
Miura/Kihara
Komatsubara/Koleto

Junior Worlds: https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/1208747759978741760
Men: Yuma Kagiyama, Shun Sato
Ladies: Tomoe Kawabata, Mana Kawabe (also YOG)
Ice Dance: Utana Yoshida/Shingo Nishiyama

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information