Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammers

This is not skating news but baby news. Congrats to Oda on the birth of his baby girl!

Oda has 4 kids? Damn the dude has been busy. 😅

Spun Silver

This is not skating news but baby news. Congrats to Oda on the birth of his baby girl!

Fabulous. He can turn around the Japanese population decline and propagate great skating at the same time. (Surely all his children will inherit those wonderful soft knees.)

Tinami Amori

Oda has 4 kids? Damn the dude has been busy. 😅
:D not much more busy than many men, just did not use the protection.. actually, probably "less busy" given his wife was pregnant four times.. :lol: (kidding!).

VERY happy for Oda! congrats to proud dad!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Anyone have any intel on whether Ryuju Hino is competing this season? Has he done any domestic/regional competitions?
Ryuju is competing domestically this season, too.

In August he won a local competition named Iizuka Cup. This link has a photo of the medalists. He won a gold over Mitsuki Sumoto (silver).

He won a gold at Chubu Regional (total score 215.26). Here is a photo of the podium.

And here is a video of his FS at Chubu Regional.

ETA:
(rough summary of his interview after FS at Chubu Regional)
Hino: My goal at Chubu Regional was to put things together, i.e. receiving decent levels for my elements. I think I could reach the goal. My goal for this season is to leave enough results to be certificated as a member of Team Japan for next season, hopefully I want to place 5th or higher at Nationals. I want to establish 'Ryuju Hino' brand as a skater.

Last edited:

denise3lz

And here is a video of his FS at Chubu Regional.
Apparently this video is geo-blocked outside Japan.

Since it is come from official account of local broadcasting company,
geo-blocking is predictable but I don't know exact reason to do so.

nimi

Some :eek: news via @europeonice: Marin and Keiji were in a car accident in Kelowna a couple of days ago. Luckily they are not seriously hurt and should be able to compete (although another article might say something about leg injury...?)

The latest IceTalk episode includes a snippet from the SkAm SP press conference, where Wakaba speaks about recovering from her injury. The segment begins around the 22-23 min mark.

EdmundBonPain

Hino: My goal at Chubu Regional was to put things together, i.e. receiving decent levels for my elements. I think I could reach the goal. My goal for this season is to leave enough results to be certificated as a member of Team Japan for next season, hopefully I want to place 5th or higher at Nationals. I want to establish 'Ryuju Hino' brand as a skater.

Thank you for this, Rosewood!

J

Jeschke

Is Hino going for a 'The greates showman' FS? (based on the costume) :eek:

nimi

Some :eek: news via @europeonice: Marin and Keiji were in a car accident in Kelowna a couple of days ago. Luckily they are not seriously hurt and should be able to compete (although another article might say something about leg injury...?)

Article in English explains what happened:

About their injury status:
Honda injured her right shin and forehead and was taken by ambulance to hospital where the 18-year-old was medically cleared to compete. The collision left Tanaka with a sore knee but he is now skating without discomfort, Kobayashi said.

Honda, winner of the women's world junior title in 2016, wore a support brace on her right leg as she practiced on Thursday, but she reassured reporters, saying, "I decided to compete and I'm going all the way to the end."
Prayer circle for Marin and Keiji!

Marco

So was Marin injured or not? I thought she said she was fine but she had wrapped her leg for the free and dumbed down her jumps. Ironically she skated clean and I got to see the program in its pure form in its entirety instead of having to constantly roll my eyes at some popped jumps like usual. I am starting to like this more light-hearted Lala Land.

When will her focus and consistency come back?!

umronnie

So was Marin injured or not? I thought she said she was fine but she had wrapped her leg for the free and dumbed down her jumps. Ironically she skated clean and I got to see the program in its pure form in its entirety instead of having to constantly roll my eyes at some popped jumps like usual. I am starting to like this more light-hearted Lala Land.

When will her focus and consistency come back?!
Maybe it did - perhaps all it needed was a good bump on the head. Time will tell. That FS was beautiful.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Reportedly she injured in her leg and also hit her forehead in the car accident. Her injury in her leg was not serious. In the FS K'nC Takeshi Honda (Marin's jump coach) asked about her leg and neck. She answered she didn't feel any pains. So I think her leg is OK.

That said, an article which was published after FS said she had concussion during on-ice training two weeks before SKCA, and she had to go to a hospital by ambulance. Seems the concussion was not serious and she was able to participate in SKCA. While, She said she felt a bit dizzy during the official practices, especially when she did spins. I'm not sure it's due to the concussion prior to SKCA or due to the car accident where she hit her forehead. Anyways I guess she needs some follow-up exams for a while.

neck https://i.daily.jp/general/2019/10/25/Images/f_12818504.jpg
leg https://i.daily.jp/general/2019/10/25/Images/f_12818503.jpg

kalle

I like Marin so much! She is such a natural performer and very charming on the ice :swoon:
If an "easier" technical program is the way to go in order for her to increase her confidence and get back to form, then I am all for it! She was lowballed on PCS in the LP but I suspect it only takes a few cleanish 5-6 Triples programs and the judges will start to take note of her again.

Otherwise, I would love to see her in Pairs skating 😁

coppertop1

I like Marin so much! She is such a natural performer and very charming on the ice :swoon:
If an "easier" technical program is the way to go in order for her to increase her confidence and get back to form, then I am all for it! She was lowballed on PCS in the LP but I suspect it only takes a few cleanish 5-6 Triples programs and the judges will start to take note of her again.

Otherwise, I would love to see her in Pairs skating 😁

Marin is definitely my favourite of the Japanese skaters. I just want her to find her form and consistency and break through. I loved her FS. It suited her perfectly.

Sylvia

TBD
@essence_of_soy asked about Hosoda in the GP Assignments thread:

Ayaka Hosoda (Kansai Univ. SC) won her Regional in early October with a total score of 163.75.

She landed a 3A with +2.4 GOE, 3S+2T & 3F< in her SP (57.57).
In her FS (106.18), she fell on her opening 3A< and landed five triples: 3S, 2Lz, 3Lo, 2A+3T, 3F, 3S+2T.

She will compete in the Western Section Championships this weekend to qualify for Nationals.

ETA:

@denise3lz is keeping track of the skaters qualifying for Junior and Senior Nationals in the Kiss & Cry section: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ng-domestic-competitions.106094/#post-5671191

Notable scores from the Eastern Section (Senior and Junior) Championships last weekend:

Senior Men top 3:
Taichiro YAMAKUMA 3 1 200.12 (ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013838.htm )
Hiroaki SATO 4 2 189.12 (ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013830.htm )
Hidetsugu KAMATA 1 4 181.26

Junior Men top 3:
Yuma KAGIYAMA 1 1 244.68 (qualified for JGP Final: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102339.htm )
KAO MIURA 3 2 195.53 (ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104486.htm )
Shun SATO 2 4 194.65 (qualified for JGP Final: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054884.htm )

Senior Ladies was won by Yuka NAGAI 3 1 162.43; Junior Ladies was won by Shiika YOSHIOKA 2 2 151.74.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Re lower ranked ladies skaters: Shiika Yoshida looked promising last season in Jr field. I heard she injured at some point prior to the fed's test skate for this season's JGP series. And she didn't do well there. Shame she wasn't listed even as an alternate and eventually the fed wasted a spot for a JGP competition due to a withdrawal of a Team Japan member. I wished the fed listed her as an alternate and kept her under their observation during the JGP series, since she did well in some summer-fall domestic competitions. Sigh. I also didn't agree with the fed's idea of sending who to which JGP events. They just sent the most promising skater they thought to the early competitions where the strongest Russian skaters participated.

I also didn't agree with the fed's idea of not sending Hosoda to any CS events prior to GP series. She's on Team Japan based on her good results in Nationals. Only if she had minimums, she could have listed as an alternate for GP events, and eventually she might get a spot somewhere considering lots of withdrawals in this season. I wonder why they didn't. Hosoda's endeavor to climb up in the nationals placements with nailing multiple 3As should not be ignored even if she is not a teen age up-comer. :shuffle:

ostile17

Yes, as a silver medalist at last year's Nationals, Daisuke didn't have to qualify at this competition to partecipate in the 2019 Nationals. It was his choice to partecipate in the Western Nationals so the withdrawal doesn't change anything. He seems to be taking extra care in view of his last competition as a single at Nationals in December, where he wants to show gratutude to his fans.

He twisted his left ankle during jump practice yesterday. He was diagnosed an "ankle sprain and ankle ligament injury" and has to stay away from the ice for about a week.

News of the injury and withdrawal

denise3lz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information