Japan closing borders due to Omicron--GPF canceled

Sylvia

TBD
Dec. 2nd article re. the Japanese skaters training overseas who need to return to compete at Nationals:
In figure skating, the All Japan Championship (Saitama), which also serves as the Beijing Olympics representative selection, will start on the 22nd [December]. While the government is strengthening border measures for Omicron stocks, athletes practicing overseas such as Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai University KFSC) of ice dance and Rika Kihira (Toyota Motor) of girls are responding to early return to Japan. The possibility of being sought has surfaced for a day.
An executive of the Japan Skating Federation explained that he was "contacting the Japan Sports Agency" for details on the return flights and quarantine measures for overseas base players. The policy is expected to be announced in the near future.

Sylvia

TBD
Article in English:
The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final featuring the top-six points-earners in each discipline will be canceled due to the emergence of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, a source familiar with the matter said Thursday.
The Grand Prix Final is the second-most prestigious annual event in the sport, behind only the world championships. This year, it was scheduled to take place in Osaka between Dec. 9 and Dec. 11 and serve as a tune-up for the Beijing Olympics in February.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
An article by Nikkan Sports: https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202112020000319.html

Google translated excerpt:

Since the announcement by Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on the 29th of last month, the Japan Skating Federation, which is in charge, has been inquiring about the Japan Sports Agency and holding discussions. After promising the formation of a competition bubble, preparations for implementation were parallel, and at the beginning, the agency also received an underwater response that "adjustment in the direction of the event".

However, it is difficult to coordinate with the Cabinet Secretariat, which does not give up stricter border measures. It is said that he was finally forced to give up after being kept at the official residence regarding the final decision on whether or not to hold the event.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm holding out hope that the articles saying the GPF is cancelled are really only saying that the JSF can't go forward with hosting it and that the ISU hasn't been sitting idly by this week waiting for an answer from the Japanese government but instead been talking with the Croatian fed about moving the GPF to be held simultaneously with Golden Spin.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I'm holding out hope that the articles saying the GPF is cancelled are really only saying that the JSF can't go forward with hosting it and that the ISU hasn't been sitting idly by this week waiting for an answer from the Japanese government but instead been talking with the Croatian fed about moving the GPF to be held simultaneously with Golden Spin.
I don't think Croatia is a realistic choice...
Given spin off taking placed in a small town South East of Zagreb because Dom Sportova arena cannot host bc it read damaged in the earthquake.

Karen-W

Given spin off taking placed in a small town South East of Zagreb because Dom Sportova arena cannot host bc it read damaged in the earthquake.
Well, I don't know that the event needs to be held in a huge arena necessarily so much as it needs to be held. I don't know that the skaters would care much as long as they get to compete in the event. They've done their share of skating in small rinks with not much of an audience and made more than a few adjustments in the last 19 months.

I think the bigger issue is whether or not the schedule for Golden Spin could accommodate the additional skating groups necessary. Given that original GS entry lists had 37 men (7 groups), 37 women (7 groups), 28 pairs (7 groups), and 23 dance teams (5 groups), I'd say they were more than prepared for at least 1-2 additional groups in each discipline. If the current entries remain unchanged during the next week, then adding the JGPF and GPF groups in each discipline would mean 2 extra for both men & women for a total of 8 & 7 groups respectively, 3 extra for pairs for a total of 9 pairs groups, and 4 extra for dance for a total of 8 dance groups.

kalamalka

I wondered why it wasn't at Dom Sportova/not even in Zagreb - thanks for the info. And Golden Spin has SO many entries.

I just don't think you can re-locate a major event in less than a week
- to a different continent, too, and in a week when many countries are changing their entry/ testing/ quarantine requirements, even for their own returning nationals.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Rumor is Putin is looking at travel restrictions, plus it's a lot harder for people to get Russian visas on short notice than it is to get into a Schengen country.
We're stuck with only a week left, I think if it had a month , There could have been a Plan B

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
If moved to Russia -
We know that Russia Channel One can have the tele-production aspect in place, in a snap. Just figure out the logistics of the bubble, testing, etc.

If it’s moved anywhere -
I’d feel bad for the Japanese who’d be stuck in Japan, including the younger ones who were tapped as host picks in the JGPF categories (because Japanese weren’t able to compete in the JGP series).

seabm7

I just don't think you can re-locate a major event in less than a week
- to a different continent, too, and in a week when many countries are changing their entry/ testing/ quarantine requirements, even for their own returning nationals.

Junhwan CHA is still listed at Golden Spin, but I doubt he will appear there, given that a 10-day quarantine is mandatory to reentry to South Korea now.

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
What about Dubai, they issue VISA on arrival, and they have a huge ice rink . It is still open, only restrictions are flight bans to African countries, plus shopping is abundant and cheap perfumes.

Karen-W

And Morisi is listed for Golden Spin, he'd be the first in line as an alternate for the GPF if the Japanese men can't go. Artemeva/Nazarychev are also listed as well as Knierim/Frazier, 1st & 2nd alternates in pairs.

skatfan

From ISU press release:

“Unfortunately, considering the complicated epidemic situation involving travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, safety concerns and logistical challenges, the organization of the event was extremely challenging. The Japan Skating Federation and the Local Organizing Committee tried their best to find solutions but ultimately concluded that, regrettably, they are unable to organize and hold the event as planned.”

“The ISU regrets that the hosting of the event is no longer possible in Osaka in December. The ISU will evaluate a possible postponement to hold the Event at the end of the season and will take a decision as soon as possible. The ISU thanks the Japan Skating Federation for their efforts and cooperation.”

Karen-W

From ISU press release:

“Unfortunately, considering the complicated epidemic situation involving travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, safety concerns and logistical challenges, the organization of the event was extremely challenging. The Japan Skating Federation and the Local Organizing Committee tried their best to find solutions but ultimately concluded that, regrettably, they are unable to organize and hold the event as planned.”

“The ISU regrets that the hosting of the event is no longer possible in Osaka in December. The ISU will evaluate a possible postponement to hold the Event at the end of the season and will take a decision as soon as possible. The ISU thanks the Japan Skating Federation for their efforts and cooperation.”
Holding it at the end of the season is unlikely, I would guess. While some skaters, especially the juniors who don't move up next season or make it to Jr Worlds but also some of the senior skaters who don't make it to the Olympics might want to participate, I can't imagine most of the top names will want to compete again after the Olympics and Worlds.

Flowerz

Holding it at the end of the season is unlikely, I would guess. While some skaters, especially the juniors who don't move up next season or make it to Jr Worlds but also some of the senior skaters who don't make it to the Olympics might want to participate, I can't imagine most of the top names will want to compete again after the Olympics and Worlds.
Well, if they don't want to participate, it's their decision. That's why you have alternates. It's not fair to not hold it because someone like Chen or Uno want a break or in women, dance or pairs, you name it. They can go down the highest points list and hold it. Those skaters earned their alternate placements too.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Well, if they don't want to participate, it's their decision. That's why you have alternates. It's not fair to not hold it because someone like Chen or Uno want a break or in women, dance or pairs, you name it. They can go down the highest points list and hold it. Those skaters earned their alternate placements too.
Pretty sure if the event isn’t relocated instantly that the majority, if not all, of the qualified skaters would rather put all their energy into Olympics and/or Worlds if they’ve qualified and they won’t lose sleep over this not happening. Not to say that it won’t, but I doubt they will be bent out of shape like some fans already are.

Do you remember the overwhelming ‘no’ given by skaters when the option floated of holding Worlds at the end of summer 2020?

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
To suggest that an event like the Grand Prix Final can be organised in a week (actually less than a week) in a completely different country is ludicrous.
Yes, 2011 was moved but they had more than a week to arrange it, and there wasn't a pandemlc to contend with.

I think it's time to update the thread title to include that they GPF has been cancelled/"postponed". And then we can all speculate who benefits (Katsalapov's back) and who doesn't ;)

Seerek

Interestingly, moving Grand Prix Final after Worlds would align with how ISU organizes the Long Track calendar (its World Cup Final this season held the week after Sprint/All-Around Worlds) .

Flowerz

Pretty sure if the event isn’t relocated instantly that the majority, if not all, of the qualified skaters would rather put all their energy into
I'm not talking qualified, I'm talking alternates. You can't be sure what skaters want. Someone like Morisi may want to go to GPF in April, as an example, but you can't convince "know it alls" so I'll leave it at that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information