It's 1981. ALW is at the piano playing Memory. Who did it better, Betty Buckley on Merv Griffin or Elaine Paige at Royal Albert Hall?

Who did it better, Betty on Merv Griffin or Elaine at Royal Albert Hall?

• Total voters

bardtoob

It's 1981. ALW is at the piano playing Memory. Who did it better, Betty Buckley on Merv Griffin or Elaine Paige at Royal Albert Hall?

Betty Buckley

Elaine Paige

Why? Figure skating fans arguing about something artistic from 40 years ago, they live for that $#!^ :ds1:

Last edited:

Vagabond

Elaine Paige, hands down!:encore:

Paige, whom I saw in the original West End production, is Grizabella. 🐈
Buckley is some Broadway belter. :blah:

Or, to put it in 1981 figure-skating terms: Paige is Denise Biellmann; Buckley is Elaine Zayak.

bardtoob

Paige, whom I saw in the original West End production, is Grizabella.

The original Grizabella is Judy Dench, but she had to withdraw due to injury :COP:

In 1981, she was cast in the original London production of Cats as Grizabella and Jennyanydots, before dropping out due to injury.

Buckley is some Broadway belter.

You would have gotten more PCS if you called Betty a Texas Blowhard :judge:

Elaine is too much of a pwitty pwitty princess for me. She is perfect on everything except the difficult elements.

In good fun, I am going with Betty . . . :p

Betty is the Tara ("touch me", oy, the scream) while Elaine is the Michelle :rofl:

Last edited:

bardtoob

Talents were tested

Buckley’s talents were tested 13 years later when she was preparing for the role of Grizabella, an old, shunned feline in “Cats.” Her rendition of “Memory” wasn’t landing.

“It was not stopping the show. And everyone knew it was written to stop the show, that Elaine Paige had stopped the show with it in London. I was singing with everything I’d learned from years of lessons, but it wasn’t happening,” she said.

Everyone had a suggestion, but nothing seemed to work. So she turned to Paul Gavert, her voice teacher. He threw a pillow down and told her to get on the floor and hit it.

“When I did that, I started crying, and I heard a voice in my head saying ‘I’m here, too.’ It was that voice inside, the kid that does the work. That was the only one I had not consulted in the whole process. And what that inner being told me was to become aware of the homeless.”

Buckley started watching and following homeless people around the city. When she tried “Memory” again, scant days before opening night, “I was no longer begging, I was sharing with empathy and compassion,” she said.

“And when I finished, there was this breathless silence, and then the house just went nuts.”

VGThuy

I never really liked Elaine Paige's voice. Her singing is nice but always has this whiney quality to it that makes me not think of her as the ideal version for most roles...except Grizabella. It's an easy character to play with one hard song to sing at the very end that requires all the self-pitying histrionics one can muster, so Paige is perfect for her. Buckley is a great singer, but her voice is a bit too metallic for my liking. So Paige for Grizabella.

@Vagabond said:
Buckley is some Broadway belter. :blah:

I know you meant that to be an insult, but Broadway belters sure are incredible.

ETA: Here's Buckley in full make-up and character at the Tony Awards. It's an abridged version and this particular video cuts off the first part of the ensemble performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mlllRdIfqw

AND here's Paige in full make-up and character for the filmed video performance: https://youtu.be/4-L6rEm0rnY

Keep in mind that in the two above videos, Paige had professional camera-work, lighting, and editing in a performance that was specifically filmed for video with pre-recorded vocals and post-production while Buckley's was a taped live performance meant for the stage and came after a Sunday matinee.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I quickly got tired of Memory long ago, mainly because it was sung so badly by so many singers. And of course because every time you turned around someone was singing it.

bardtoob

Memory is basically the "musical" interlude of the Cats stage dance "spectacle".

bardtoob

bardtoob

emason

I quickly got tired of Memory long ago, mainly because it was sung so badly by so many singers. And of course because every time you turned around someone was singing it.
It’s a tossup for me which song I loathe more: Memory or Send in the Clowns. The thought of either one makes me cringe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information