It’s So Effing Cold

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
The water pressure is still about half way there. The water has cleared a lot, but it still has a light yellowish tint to it. My brother finally got running water again around noon. It's taking time, but the city workers are finding the busted water lines as the snow and ice slowly melts on the streets. The temperature is 34F. It finally got above freezing and my yard and driveway is filled with water from the melting snow and ice pouring off my roof.

The low tonight will be around 17F. So all that water will freeze that's on the driveway and in the yard. Tomorrow, the high will be 56F, and by next Wednesday, the high will be 67F. Right now, I'm just happy to see all the sunshine! I also feel so fortunate because I never lost electricity.

My prayers go out to everyone in Texas. And now that Ted Cruz is back, I think he should get a huge battery-powered blow dryer and start thawing out all those pipes!! Get to work, Ted!:rofl:

Simone411

I'm afraid it's going to take awhile before we get full water pressure back, but at least there is running water and I can flush my commode, wash dishes, etc. It's 25F this morning with an expected high of 48F. The high for tomorrow is 60F. The high for all of this coming week will be in the 60's. I'm so thankful for that. I never realized how harsh and destructive freezing weather could be.

We definitely weren't prepared for this type of weather, but I commend the workers and our linemen with our electric company, Cleco. Cleco has always been there to help out with other emergencies by sending linemen to the southern parishes when there were hurricanes. Cleco has also sent linemen to help out in the different states whenever there's been devastation caused from freezing weather tornados, etc. that's caused power outages.

I know that several companies beside Cleco have always helped in doing that, and I'm so thankful that those power companies do that. Now if only our senators and congressman could work together like that. It would be so awesome to see them actually care about all the people no matter whether they're Republican, Democrat, Independent, Liberal, etc. It's about all the people, and wouldn't it be awesome if we could all love each other instead of having all the hatred. I know I'm being sort of mushy about this, but it would be so wonderful if everyone could work together and get along with each other for a change. It's always been a dream of mine, but think how wonderful it would be! Okay, enough of that! lol! 💞💓

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
We have Oncor here. Yesterday 2 Oncor trunks were across the street restoring service to my neighborhood. Neither of the drivers were from here & they didn't work for Oncor either. When they left after about 10-15 mins everyone had their power back. Today our temp is 51F so everything is getting back to normal. Except for all the damage of course.

My 3 brothers live in South Texas, namely Austin, San Antonio, & Houston. They all lost lots of their landscaping plants that couldn't survive the freeze.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I just saw on twitter that some customers in TX are getting electric bills between 5 and 10K$. :yikes:
I was just about to post that. There was a segment on local news that people who didn't have locked-down contracts (or didn't know what they were signing into....) that these people are being charged upwards over $1000 a day! Gotta look at your contracts. My bill might go up a little just because it's been set for so hot all week, but not anything like that!!

Earlier this week a pipe broke and flooded my master closet but we turned the water off immediately so only the baseboards needed replacement. DH called several plumbers and was told it would be at least TWO WEEKS!!!! Anyway, he used his "connections" and a guy was out the next day and it only took 30 minutes to fix!! I feel so badly for all these thousands of people who will have to wait for water in their home for weeks trying to get a plumber to come. So yesterday I had a bunch of people over to warm up, cook, shower, shit, charge phones, play on their computer, whatever. Only requirement was to bring lots of food and booze!!! I would have had more over, but we're still in a pandemic and only those who were vaccinated could come over.

This was a total shitshow, and just another reminder of the GOP. Totally failed incompetent leadership. Much like with the TrumpVirus crisis.

taf2002

Please, take them. I'd be perfectly fine if Portland was #LessWeird.
Are you talking about Portland Oregon? I haven't been there since 2010 but I thought it was wonderful. I've been there twice for skating events & was impressed with the city both times. I guess it got weird after I left.

Japanfan

Are you talking about Portland Oregon? I haven't been there since 2010 but I thought it was wonderful. I've been there twice for skating events & was impressed with the city both times. I guess it got weird after I left.
My guess is that 'weird' means 'west coast hippy dippy'.

I really enjoyed Portland the time I went there for a skating competition (must have been Skate America). I loved that it was only about 10 minutes from my motel to downtown and the arena. I must have gone a second time as while, as I remember being there with Mr. Japanfan (was on my own the first time) and we had breakfast at an awesome bakery/restaurant.

Mind you, I live in the Pacific Northwest and love the west coast. Not that anyone would ever accuse me of being hippie dippy. :yikes:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

My guess is that 'weird' means 'west coast hippy dippy'.

I really enjoyed Portland the time I went there for a skating competition (must have been Skate America). I loved that it was only about 10 minutes from my motel to downtown and the arena. I must have gone a second time as while, as I remember being there with Mr. Japanfan (was on my own the first time) and we had breakfast at an awesome bakery/restaurant.

Mind you, I live in the Pacific Northwest and love the west coast. Not that anyone would ever accuse me of being hippie dippy. :yikes:
I'm not sure that "Portland weird" is necessarily "west coast hippy dippy", however there is a pretty well known phrase that's popped up in the last decade or so - "Keep Portland Weird." Portland likes to be quirky and different which is why we have such oddities as the unicycling bagpiper. Portland has, though, gone through a lot in the last decade, and some of it is not better, but that's a discussion better left to PI, but I am firmly of the opinion that the Portland of 15 years ago when it hosted US Nats was a better city than it is now.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It is a beautiful city but it is quite expensive. Apparently the people who live there don’t mind the rain. For financial reasons it makes sense for them to move to Texas or Arizona, for much lower costs of real estate and sunny skies are a bonus.

However, right now parts of Oregon are dealing with power failures. My painting teacher lives near Medford (quite far from Portland) and she has been without power since for days. She said the news is only reporting Texas but Oregon has power failure issues too. However, I think they will be ok because they are a part of the western grid. Texas shot themselves in the foot by isolating their power grid.

Last edited:

taf2002

Texas shot themselves in the foot by isolating their power grid.
I wish people would stop saying this, especially people who don't know anything about it. The present system would have worked just fine if the present administration had spent money where it was supposed to go. Texans as a rule don't think they've shot themselves in the foot by being independent (aka bullheaded) & by doing things our way. BTW every state will be in a world of hurt if we all don't start beefing up our infrastructure which is rapidly aging past its due by date.

ETA: it's 71F here.

Last edited:

Simone411

I wish people would stop saying this, especially people who don't know anything about it. The present system would have worked just fine if the present administration had spent money where it was supposed to go. Texans as a rule don't think they've shot themselves in the foot by being independent (aka bullheaded) & by doing things our way. BTW every state will be in a world of hurt if we all don't start beefing up our infrastructure which is rapidly aging past its due by date.

ETA: it's 71F here.
It was a high of 57F here, but it was enough to finally melt all the snow and ice remaining on my roof and in my yard. I was able to drive with no problem and went through the drive-thru at Popeyes for some fried chicken. It was so good to get out and see sunshine for a change. I felt like I had been in hibernation this whole past week! All the birds were happy, too! I've seen Robins, Blue Birds, Sparrows, Finches, Blackbirds, Cardinals and even Woodpeckers pecking around for food all over my yard! I have a pretty huge yard. It's almost an acre. So those birds were enjoying it! :lol:

Simone411

It's hard to believe that the high for today will 76F and plenty of sunshine! I now have full water pressure and the water is totally clear. The City has asked us not to wash clothes, wash the cars or take showers just yet because not all customers have full water pressure and some customers still don't have water because there were busted pipes and water leaks in their homes. Those people had to have their water cut off at the water meters. I've been sponge bathing, but that's better than nothing at all. So far, the city workers have found and repaired over 100 leaks in the city's water lines, and they're still searching for the leaks in order to repair them.

Cachoo

It's hard to believe that the high for today will 76F and plenty of sunshine! I now have full water pressure and the water is totally clear. The City has asked us not to wash clothes, wash the cars or take showers just yet because not all customers have full water pressure and some customers still don't have water because there were busted pipes and water leaks in their homes. Those people had to have their water cut off at the water meters. I've been sponge bathing, but that's better than nothing at all. So far, the city workers have found and repaired over 100 leaks in the city's water lines, and they're still searching for the leaks in order to repair them.
Last week seems like a bad dream though I'm sure the folks who have major plumbing disasters are still living the nightmare. This morning when I woke up at 5 am the old tomcat was back on his perch on a chair looking frankly at me waiting on his food. He made it! I should have known that wily, old codger would survive. I was glad to see him.

Dobre

For financial reasons it makes sense for them to move to Texas or Arizona, for much lower costs of real estate and sunny skies are a bonus.
Portland is still growing. (I read an updated post on this a couple weeks ago. Also, apparently the housing market is quite a challenge right now. My sister put her place on the market & they had a successful offer within days. Another friend just posted that a realtor told her they're seeing places go for $40,000-75,000 over the asking price).

"Oregon is an in-migration state. For many years, more people have moved into Oregon each year than have moved out of the state."

There's no need to move clear to Texas or Arizona for affordable real estate. Property values are much cheaper in Eastern Oregon and clear skies can be found here too. (Which is probably why Bend/Deschutes County turned blue this year, though a lot of Californians have moved there too). East of the mountains has real winter, though, so people who are looking for warm weather year round--especially retirees dealing with arthritis--tend to head for Arizona (though more often to California). Washington is kind of like "still being in Oregon," the way Canada is kind of like "still being in the U.S." and Washington has no property tax so if you want to win the tax game you live in Washington and work or shop in Oregon where there is no sales tax. A lot of people live on both sides of the Washington/Oregon border at different points in their lives. I don't personally know anyone who has moved from Oregon to Texas, though many of the formerly migrant families in my area have moved here from Texas. (Apparently both are common, though more Texans moved to Oregon last year than the reverse). Many people move to the Boise area, which has been growing and has job potential.

Last edited:

Simone411

Well, it seems like the weather goes from one extreme to another. Now the forecast is showing rain and possible thunderstorms the rest of this week through Monday. The temps will be fine, however; from the 60's to the 70's. Looks like I better get my Pirogue ready! :lol:

Susan1

It's 58*, windy, scattered showers, and there are still piles and clumps of snow everywhere.

Japanfan

I have two of them ... this is just so true!

Bandit is very accomodating and sleeps right between the two of us. That is, when he'll be up on the bed at all - he tends to prefer the rug or floor by the bed.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
My friend in Austin can’t get his pipes fixed for another two weeks. Because of c o v i d, he’s not comfortable going inside anyone’s house, but neighbors have been great at letting him draw water for cooking and saving their gray water for flushing. If the warmer temps hold, he’ll set up his camping shower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information