ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Gris

不做奴才做公民
It's really unfortunate but I believe it's the right decision.

I'm a bit more reassured after reading about the effort to create a bubble at Skate America, but I still have a lot of doubt of the decision of holding SA.

Colonel Green

This was the other one I thought stood a chance of being cancelled.

SkAm and especially Rostelecom should be cancelled, but their federations are both on the “pandemic? LOL!” train.

I was looking forward to seeing the European ladies vying for silver/bronze, shame that won’t happen now.

skatfan

The skaters probably saw this coming given the current situation in France, but what a disappointment.

I think at this point Skate America is likely to go forward and NHK and CoC are very probable. Not sure about Rostelecom.
No way will Russia cancel its event. CoC is likely given that the virus seems to be under control, Japan may squeak through too.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I missed this (searched but missed it anyway! :lol: ) so started a new thread about the IdF cancellation when I saw it on Twitter.

Sabine-Yuna

The skaters probably saw this coming given the current situation in France, but what a disappointment.

I think at this point Skate America is likely to go forward and NHK and CoC are very probable. Not sure about Rostelecom.
I guess skaters did not expect this cancellation. After installing a curfew in some of the French cities, including Grenoble, organizers changed the time table, so they would not get into trouble. There is indoor sports going on in France like regular games of the Handball league. This is a bummer and the skaters are really disappointed. They need international competitions and I hope ISU tries its best to offer some, at least Europeans and Worlds.

Bellanca

No way will Russia cancel its event. CoC is likely given that the ***** seems to be under control, Japan may squeak through too.
I agree. I think, for now, they dig in. I also hope Skate America will stay on target. There could be a domino effect, I suppose, but I hope not. Another stay tuned – we’re getting used to that, unfortunately.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Saw this one coming a mile off. Now it's a case of who should but won't. SkAm is going ahead when it shouldn't, and I imagine Rostelecom will be the same regardless of how irresponsible it is.

Meoima

Saw this one coming a mile off. Now it's a case of who should but won't. SkAm is going ahead when it shouldn't, and I imagine Rostelecom will be the same regardless of how irresponsible it is.
I think China GP and NHK will happen as well though?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I think China GP and NHK will happen as well though?

Yes, but they are - at this time - not in the "shouldn't but will" category, as things seem rather more under control there. They're just in the "and this is why they shouldn't be allowed to be called GPs" category.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
That isn't for you to decide though. Everyone knows the risks and if you read the bubble precautions for SkAm then maybe you would realize it is a feasible event, regardless of how widespread the virus is.

Meoima

That isn't for you to decide though. Everyone knows the risks and if you read the bubble precautions for SkAm then maybe you would realize it is a feasible event, regardless of how widespread the ***** is.
The thing is with 2 events being canceled, what is the point of hosting National GP if the scores aren’t even counted? Not to mention the risk.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A lot of other sports thought they could safely do events in a bubble, and that turned out not to be true.

Even if the athletes, coaches, and officials are bubbled (so to speak), arena staff, hotel staff, and other people doing their regular jobs don't stay inside the bubble. They come to work every day and then go home to their families, go grocery shopping, take their kids to school, run errands, and so on. It's not realistic for those people to be isolated for an entire week along with everyone taking part in the event.
So as long as people are moving into and out of the bubble, there's the opportunity for the v*r*s to come in as well.

Last edited:

Meoima

Oh well “Russia reports almost 16,000 new cases, the highest daily figure since the whole thing began.”
CoR will still happen I guess?

angi

Oh well “Russia reports almost 16,000 new cases, the highest daily figure since the whole thing began.”
CoR will still happen I guess?
Judging from how everyone conducted themselves during test skates and the two Russian cup events we had so far it mostly seemed like YKW isn't really a thing in Russia. I know they do test the athletes (and hopefully coaches, officials, and staff) but they had a significant amount of people in the audience, many didn't wear masks, those who wore them didn't wear them appropriately, and coaches decided to remove their masks while in the K&C for some mysterious reason. Oh, and of course the obligatory kissing and hugging when meeting the coaches while coming off the ice and not social distancing. So yeah I will be shocked if CoR will be canceled, they seem adamant to keep going no matter what and the biggest tragedy is that they are doing it without taking most of the necessary precautions.

Dobre

Maybe China will be able to host an Olympic test event with athletes from just Asia. 4CCs counted last time so it would seem that it isn't mandatory to invite athletes from everywhere.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The thing is with 2 events being canceled, what is the point of hosting National GP if the scores aren’t even counted? Not to mention the risk.
To have great skating on TV (for viewers), to give opportunities to skaters, and to keep the bu$ine$$ of skating alive. Not that I agree that it’s good to carry on in a health situation. You asked for reasons.

Last edited:

euterpe

In the US, the third 'peak' of infections is happening mostly in the Midwest. Rural areas which hadn't been affected in the first two peaks are getting ******* now.

Dobre

In the US, the third 'peak' of infections is happening mostly in the Midwest. Rural areas which hadn't been affected in the first two peaks are getting ******* now.
Idaho is on its third peak.

Alaska, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, and Utah are currently "red" with 25+ cases per 100,000 and none are in the Midwest.

Mississippi also is hovering in and out of that red zone.

Illinois and Mississippi are also peaking for at least a second time.

Infections are also going up in Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and North Carolina again, though there infection numbers are currently lower per capita.

It is true that the "center" of this current escalation of cases appears to be the Midwest. Prior to the regular start of the school year, only North Dakota was "red" and now there are at least 18 states with 25+ cases per 100,000 on a daily basis.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Figure Skating’s Run-Up to the 2022 Olympics Is Already a Mess​

Four major competitions have been canceled for reasons that bodes poorly for the ability of skaters to travel almost anywhere to compete against each other in the foreseeable future

ballettmaus

This is such a tough situation for the skaters. I would imagine that for those who have no competition to go to right now, it's hard to motivate themselves to train on some days.

A lot of other sports thought they could safely do events in a bubble, and that turned out not to be true.

The only sports that happened in a bubble were the NBA and NHL and they didn't have any cases. I'd say if everyone who is supposed to stay inside the bubble stays inside and everyone else adheres to the protective measures (and there's proper testing) then it works.

yeslek

Even if the athletes, coaches, and officials are bubbled (so to speak), arena staff, hotel staff, and other people doing their regular jobs don't stay inside the bubble. They come to work every day and then go home to their families, go grocery shopping, take their kids to school, run errands, and so on. It's not realistic for those people to be isolated for an entire week along with everyone taking part in the event.
So as long as people are moving into and out of the bubble, there's the opportunity for the v*r*s to come in as well.
It was the sports that didn’t use bubbles that had the cases.... the bubbles actually worked for the most part.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It was the sports that didn’t use bubbles that had the cases.... the bubbles actually worked for the most part.

That's not correct. Major League Baseball isolated its players and staff, and only played in a limited number of stadiums, and still had cases and outbreaks on several teams.

MsZem

I see the sea
That's not correct. Major League Baseball isolated its players and staff, and only played in a limited number of stadiums, and still had cases and outbreaks on several teams.
That's an inaccurate characterization of what happened this season.

MLB only moved to Texas/California starting with the ALDS/NLDS. The players were not fully isolated like in the NBA, and at least one outbreak has been linked to players failing to follow protocols. The abbreviated regular season was played in all the regular stadiums - other than the Blue Jays, who couldn't play in Toronto and had their homes games in Buffalo. The main difference from normal seasons in terms of locations was that teams only played within their region (NL East/AL East and so on).

The outbreaks happened early in the season, on a limited number of teams, and did not spread further. I'm not aware of any cases involving players/staff during the postseason.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The MLB players and staff were supposed to be isolated during the season. Some of the outbreaks happened because of players who went partying outside the bubble. And there were enough outbreaks during the season that the schedule had to be significantly reworked several times, as in cancelling or postponing games so that teams with outbreaks would not potentially transit the v*r*s to other teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information