ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Orm Irian

Here we have the 1st Entries of the season :cheer:
Nebelhorn Trophy 2020

Now that's what a Challenger Series entry list ought to look like! This will be very enjoyable. :biggrinbo I am a little surprised that Brendan Kerry isn't on the list, given that he's still in Vaujany, but on the other hand there are no French skaters either... [ETA: I need to read more carefully; there's a French ice dance team].

(Yes, Perticheto is based in Geneva at the moment, judging by her instagram.)

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Here we have the 1st Entries of the season :cheer:
Nebelhorn Trophy 2020

MEN
1 Maurizio ZANDRON AUT
2 Jiri BELOHRADSKY CZE
3 Aleksandr SELEVKO EST
4 Mihhail SELEVKO EST
5 Valtter VIRTANEN FIN
6 Paul FENTZ GER
7 Kai JAGODA GER
8 Thomas STOLL GER
9 Graham NEWBERRY GBR
10 Gabriele FRANGIPANI ITA 7
11 Matteo RIZZO ITA
12 Deniss VASILJEVS LAT
13 Sondre ODDVOLL BOE NOR
14 Nikolaj MAJOROV SWE
15 Noah BODENSTEIN SUI
16 Lukas BRITSCHGI SUI
17 Nurullah SAHAKA SUI
18 Burak DEMIRBOGA TUR
19 Ivan SHMURATKO UKR

LADIES
1 Natalie KLOTZ AUT
2 Dorotea LEITGEB AUT
3 Olga MIKUTINA AUT
4 Stefanie PESENDORFER AUT
5 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE
6 Maia SORENSEN DEN
7 Eva-Lotta KIIBUS EST
8 Gerli LIINAMAE EST
9 Jenni SAARINEN FIN
10 Lea Johanna DASTICH GER
11 Aya HATAKAWA GER
12 Kristina ISAEV GER
13 Nicole SCHOTT GER
14 Nargiz SULEYMANOVA GER
Nathalie WEINZIERL GER S
15 Kristen SPOURS GBR
16 Julia LANG HUN
17 Regina SCHERMANN HUN
18 Bernadett SZIGETI HUN
19 Greta MORKYTE LTU
20 Lindsay VAN ZUNDERT NED
21 Alisson Krystle PERTICHETO PHI
22 Alexandra Michaela FILCOVA SVK
23 Cassandra JOHANSSON SWE
24 Anita OSTLUND SWE
25 Josefin TALJEGARD SWE
26 Noemie BODENSTEIN SUI
27 Anna LA PORTA SUI
28 Alexia PAGANINI SUI
29 Guzide Irmak BAYIR TUR
30 Sinem KUYUCU TUR

PAIRS
1 Elizaveta ZHUK / Martin BIDAR CZE
2 Minerva Fabienne HASE / Nolan SEEGERT GER
3 Annika HOCKE / Robert KUNKEL GER
4 Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI ITA

ICE DANCE
1 Natalie TASCHLEROVA / Filip TASCHLER CZE
2 Natacha LAGOUGE / Arnaud CAFFA FRA
3 Jennifer JANSE VAN RENSBURG / Benjamin STEFFAN GER
4 Sasha FEAR / George WADDELL GBR
5 Hanna JAKUCS / Alessio GALLI NED
6 Arianna WROBLEWSKA / Stephane WALKER SUI
7 Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV UKR

Admins will there be a Challenger Section again in KnC?
Feel free to move!

Again, you got to fax me this type of news!!!!!

So North American and Asian skaters arent going correct? Only those who live or train near.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Thought the same.
Little surprised to see not more of Magri's skaters here or any of the ITA girls, pairs (more), or dance teams, too.

I have been watching (and sometimes talking to Harley) them in Europe... they've been there for about maybe a month now...

Miezekatze

Again, you got to fax me this type of news!!!!!

So North American and Asian skaters arent going correct? Only those who live or train near.

The EU and Germany still have travel restrictions against most countries outside the EU (and probably vice versa)...I'd guess that would make it way too complicated to travel. People would probably have to quarantine 2 weeks in Germany and 2 weeks when travelling back home if it is even possible to get the permit to go.

Orm Irian

Thought the same.

The mystery of Kerry's absence is solved! He's an invited participant at the Masters de Patinage, which will run from 1 to 3 October at Villard-de-Lans this year. The dates are too close together for him or any of the French skaters to realistically do both the Masters and Nebelhorn.

sus2850

Usually it is at the same weekend, that was a reason, but a week apart? Missed opportunity for Kerry and others, I think.
(And I Of course would have loved to watch him skate in Oberstdorf)

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Just for information, Australian National Championships has been cancelled (not delayed) due to internal border restrictions in the state of Victoria. Skaters in that state will not get back to training until at least end October at all rinks which is too late for Nationals. But overall there is so much fluctuation and uncertainty in the country that it makes it impossible to plan.

Also Canberra's rink it out of action as the rink decided to do maintenance and is still closed. So the skaters cannot train there and it impacts of them attending Nationals as well.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Also Canberra's rink it out of action as the rink decided to do maintenance and is still closed. So the skaters cannot train there and it impacts of them attending Nationals as well.

As an additional note; normally the ACT skaters would train in Sydney as a temporary measure. Unfortunately the ACT Government has declared the greater Sydney area to be a hotspot and discouraged going to Sydney.

The QLD border is still closed to NSW/ACT and VIC so any Nationals in QLD was likely to be fraught with difficulties anyway. It still sucks.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
So, what do our Aussie friends think will happen with 4CC? It's not that far away.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt from ISU Communication 2345 Decisions of Council - August 28, 2020 (published Sept. 1):
ISU Guidelines for ISU Events during the COVID-19 Pandemic
The ISU Council approved the Guidelines for ISU Events during the COVID-19 Pandemic produced
by the Working Groups for Figure Skating and Speed Skating, the ISU Medical Commission and ISU
Legal Advisors. The Council decided that these Guidelines will be mandatory for ISU Championships,
the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, the ISU World Cups in Speed Skating and Short Track
Speed Skating as well at the ISU World Team Trophy. For other International Competitions as well as
the individual ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events that are run as domestic events and for which
the guidelines of the competent local authorities apply, the ISU Guidelines are strongly recommended.
The [2] Guidelines are available through the following link: https://tinyurl.com/y2py9x74

ISU General Guidelines to Organize an ISU Event (PDF, 15 pages): https://tinyurl.com/yys9r7og

Guidelines for ISU Events During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Figure Skating (PDF, 11 pages): https://tinyurl.com/y6ea3dp9

Sylvia

TBD
The Japan Open (singles invitational originally scheduled for October 3, 2020) also is listed as postponed on the ISU's current figure skating calendar
Note posted on the ISU website's event page: "The Japan Open 2020 was originally planned as an Open International Competition (as per ISU Communication 2171) but due to the COVID-19 situation will finally be held as a domestic event" - event info is being posted in the Japanese news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...eason-news-updates.107299/page-4#post-5855588

ETA:
Would starting a Nebelhorn Trophy thread in the K&C be appropriate or a potential jinx?
I decided to risk it. ;)

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

So, what do our Aussie friends think will happen with 4CC? It's not that far away.

To be honest, I think it'll be a total s**t storm for the ISU, the local organisers, and especially the skaters.

The National Championships in December have already been cancelled, which effectively means local skaters hoping to use that event as leverage will need to have their most recent national and international results considered for qualification instead. I wonder how that will work for the athletes without any real competitive skating under the belts at all this season?

I would assume that veterans Kailani Craine, Brendan Kerry, James Min and the top three dance teams will receive byes to Four Continents.

There are however two Australian men's singles in particular, Jordan Dodds and Darian Kaptisch, where their previous results will really hinge on how they are chosen for the team. Both skaters are very good. Kaptisch beat Dodds in last year's national championships for the bronze medal. However, without any senior international experience, Dodds was selected ahead of Kaptisch, especially when Jordan's older brother Andrew retired from singles competition as well.

It's naive to think with various levels of Australian state and national lock-down restrictions likely to extend until Christmas, that the event will happen without massive restructuring and limits to which nations can and cannot safely attend.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The real issue's not even that.

It's that even if the international border does open at the end of the year, they're still going to require the 2 week quarantine. And that'll be the end of the story.

I kind of alluded to that in my post as well.

But you're on the money here. A two-week quarantine is disastrous for skaters who train and travel on very tight turnaround times.

I'm reminded of when I attended US Nationals one week, and Four Continents less than two weeks later. All of the medal winners from the domestic competition, attended the international event, too.

I would assume that being in quarantine for a fortnight would mean being unable to train at the practice rink, either.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
ISA is fully aware of all the permutations and combinations of issues. However there is no point making assumptions or generalisations about what could or should happen. This is unchartered ground and everyone is learning as they go along.

Orm Irian

ISA is fully aware of all the permutations and combinations of issues. However there is no point making assumptions or generalisations about what could or should happen. This is unchartered ground and everyone is learning as they go along.

Exactly. And ways around restrictions can be negotiated. For example, Hungary has just re-closed its borders, but there are procedures for skaters and officials to follow so that they can enter the country for the Budapest Trophy posted on the ISU website. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that something similar could be created for skaters and officials coming to Australia for FCC in January.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Exactly. And ways around restrictions can be negotiated. For example, Hungary has just re-closed its borders, but there are procedures for skaters and officials to follow so that they can enter the country for the Budapest Trophy posted on the ISU website. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that something similar could be created for skaters and officials coming to Australia for FCC in January.

Does that exception include local and international spectators as well? Or is the Budapest Trophy being held in a closed rink?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

So I was looking at Harley’s Insta stories and I’m amazed that in Europe he’s at someone’s wedding. Can’t quite figure out whose. And him and Brendan and Luc, so many people at this wedding on the dance floor .... not a single mask. Celebrating and partying. Everyone shoulder to shoulder and embracing.

Weddings and choirs are the super spreaders.

It frustrates me that I see this behavior and I think that things wont improve. And then to post it....

I’m just like what are they thinking…

Is it Florent?? I think I see Morgan in one of the stories. So strange

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Florent Amodio's.

Yes, I just went back to look at it in more detail and I was able to figure that out. What are people thinking?

No wonder I’m a day drinker!

Here in LA I still can’t even go to the salon or to the gym. And they’re doing that? It’s like no one even cares there

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information