ISU signs deal with Infront; Will EuroSport & CBC still cover ISU events this season?

clairecloutier

So as I mentioned in the NBCSportsGold thread, it seems that the ISU has partnered with Infront to be its primary media partner/broadcaster.

Apparently this deal applies to all countries except China, Korea, Japan, Canada, USA.

EuroSport will, apparently, no longer broadcast ISU events. It's unclear whom Infront will negotiate with to broadcast ISU events in Europe. They have assigned rights in the Nordic countries to NENT. (See @Sylvia's post below.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
Infront negotiates media broadcast rights. For example, YLE in Finland will no longer broadcast figure skating because the rights were sold to the NENT Group: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/finnish-skating-news-2018-onwards.104367/page-4#post-5608245

Press release dated 18 July 2019: https://www.infront.sport/en/news/2019/7/infront-seals-media-rights-agreement-for-isu-with-nent-group

Infront today announced that it has sold the exclusive Nordic media rights to the main International Skating Union (ISU) competitions to Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT Group) until and including season 2022/23.

The deal ensures close to 400 hours of coverage from ISU events around the world live every season on NENT Group's Viaplay and Viafree streaming services and Viasat pay-TV channels in combination with substantial exposure on its free-TV channels.

NENT Group will offer viewers in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark exclusive live coverage of the following ISU events:

ISU Speed Skating Championships
ISU World Cup Speed Skating
ISU Short Track Speed Skating Championships
ISU World Cup Short Track Speed Skating
ISU Figure Skating Championships
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating
ISU World Synchronised Skating Championships

ETA: I searched online but haven't found any news re. Eurosport's figure skating coverage plans (or broadcast rights) this season.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Thanks @Sylvia.

So I guess there is still a chance that Infront could negotiate with EuroSport to continue broadcasting ISU events? It's all a bit confusing!

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
Claire, I suggest replacing "EuroSport apparently out as broadcaster for ISU events" in your thread title with something like "will Eurosport's figure skating coverage be affected this season?" until we know more (so as not to panic anyone ;)).

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
According to Wikipedia, Infront (who I'd never heard of until today) is run by Philippe Blatter, the nephew of former FIFA head Sepp Blatter. Infront was started in 2002 to broadcast FIFA football/soccer, while Sepp B was in charge of the federation. Sepp Blatter was banned from FIFA after a shameful record of questionable financial dealings :bribe:

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
It's a shame that YLE wont broadcast skating anymore :( they used to archive the entire competition right after it ended even before the ISU eurovision sports did.

How will this apply to isu eurovision?

Hopefully eurosport will buy the rights otherwise we will return to those times when Russian tv was the main feed provider of the ISU Grand Prix events

Marta24

Well, this is disappointing :(
I was so used in the last few years being able to watch the Grand Prix on Eurosport. Here in Germany the channel ARD showed Worlds and they still have the competition on demand. With youtube constantly deleting every figure skating related video and Eurosport maybe not buying any TV rights, this is going to be a challenge to watch any skating at all this season.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I think there is no need to panic (yet) as with this new company the distribution of rights and money agreement is not done, hopefully the tv companies are in full effect negotiating; I can't see major countries like Canada not getting the rights for a season when they will organize the World Championships and I can't imagine the ISU not settling to some agreement and losing money

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)