ISU Junior Grand Prix 2022-23 announcement

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Oh the politics in this Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict. Of course, everyone wants peace. But because Russia - ally of Armenia via treaty - was quick to step in, to broker a deal, some “forces” are minimizing the recent skirmishes, pointing to the long distance from the border areas to the capital of Armenia (Yerevan).

As Azerbaijan is the aggressor in this event, the Armenia-Russia side is “the invaded” side. Some are thus rooting for Azerbaijan. I’ll leave it at that.

The ISU and others are doing right in monitoring the situation.

Frau Muller

Who are the “some” who are rooting for Azerbaijan? :confused:
Those who want to keep the $potlight on the Ukraine war and who don’t want folks to give Russia any praise for helping to bring peace in Armenia-Azerbaijan. Use your imagination.

For ex., I was told by a friend affiliated with a big ballet event (charity) in London that the Armenia-Azerbaijan is “nothing” and “just a border issue, far from Yerevan.”

Last edited:

icedancefan!!

I haven't seen any update from the ISU about JGP Armenia... but Skate Canada posted photos and introductions for the Canadian team going so I'm assuming with no update they think it will happen.

Frau Muller

Very sad news about the postponement, with word of what may happen (reallocations; calculate the JrGP final entries based on only six events). Sorry for skaters who would be impacted, e.g., Yerevan was to have been Hana Yoshida’s 2nd event.

At least Lucas Broussard’s assignment isn’t this one. Phew!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Very sad news about the postponement, with word of what may happen (reallocations; calculate the JrGP final entries based on only six events). Sorry for skaters who would be impacted, e.g., Yerevan was to have been Hana Yoshida’s 2nd event.
Hana is not the only one.

Whatever decision they make will be subject to "discussion".

Sylvia

TBD
Yerevan is postponed, via ISU about a half hour ago.
16 September 2022 Lausanne, Switzerland

The ISU Council has followed with concern the recent developments at the Armenian/Azerbaijan border and protests in Yerevan. The ISU Council also noted that some of the participating ISU Members have already decided not to attend the event.

Considering the prevailing uncertainty with safety implications that are impossible to predict, considering that this is a Junior event involving minors and mindful of security being the top priority, the ISU Council concluded the event cannot be held as planned.

The Council is evaluating a postponement to a later date and/or the re-allocation of the entries to the remaining Junior Grand Prix events of the season for a decision to be communicated as soon as possible.

The ISU regrets this unfortunate situation and thanks the Figure Skating of Armenia for their efforts to prepare the event and for their understanding for this decision.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Hana is not the only one.

Whatever decision they make will be subject to "discussion".
I know…that’s why I wrote “e.g.” which means for example. 😉

Now I’m hoping that Russia can succeed in brokering that peace deal between its ally, Armenia, and Azerbaijan. Not just for the skating implications, of course. 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I think they're going to have to scramble and reallocate assignments to the countries that were supposed to be competing. I'm not sure how, though, that's fair to any of the skaters & teams who were hoping to qualify for the JGPF. The last JGP is the weekend before Skate America. There isn't a Challenger the weekend of SkAm or GPdF, but good luck finding a host for a JGP on 5 weeks notice - most of the European feds are busy hosting their own events already during October and November.

Evgeniafan

I think they're going to have to scramble and reallocate assignments to the countries that were supposed to be competing. I'm not sure how, though, that's fair to any of the skaters & teams who were hoping to qualify for the JGPF. The last JGP is the weekend before Skate America. There isn't a Challenger the weekend of SkAm or GPdF, but good luck finding a host for a JGP on 5 weeks notice - most of the European feds are busy hosting their own events already during October and November.
Maybe Canada or Lake Placid?

RoseRed

I don't expect them to do it, but I'd like if they expanded the JGPF to maybe 8 per discipline (except pairs, since that's not affected) to help address this.

Karen-W

Maybe Canada or Lake Placid?
I can't see the USFS stepping up to host a JGP unexpectedly, even a couple weeks after SkAm - they've already stepped up to take on 4CCs this winter. And I can't see Canada stepping up to host a JGP unexpectedly the week before or after SCI - they're hosting Jr Worlds this season too.

The ISU has made the correct decision to postpone, but they're in a real pickle now.
I don't expect them to do it, but I'd like if they expanded the JGPF to maybe 8 per discipline (except pairs, since that's not affected) to help address this.
That could work for dance since they have 6 qualifiers so they'll need 2 warm-up groups anyway, but it would add an extra warm-up group for both men and women, so I don't know if that would be feasible. It also doesn't address how you allocate the JGP Armenia entrants to the three remaining events.

Hedwig

Antique member
It is not fair to the skaters of course, but I am glad that they did it.

And hopefully someone has Tallinn on speed dial.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada issued this statement:

Karen-W

The BC+ section, which Ted Barton is the head of, stepped up pretty last minute to replace a JGP pre-cv -- maybe originally scheduled for China? -- in Richmond, BC. Maybe they'll do something similar again.
Which reminds me... Why are none of us bemused with the reality that we are going to be spared Ted incessantly mispronouncing "Yar-vin" next week? :rofl:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This is awful for the skaters and for the Armenian Fed.

Before Ukraine, I might have said that scheduling JGPs for places without a history of conflict is preferable. Now it’s clear to me that not just the FSU countries are vulnerable. It’s sad.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
What about if they had 2x JGP in 1 venue, like Euros and 4CC were last season? Maybe the judges could stay on and the events could take place over 4-6 days instead of 2-3?

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
What about if they had 2x JGP in 1 venue, like Euros and 4CC were last season? Maybe the judges could stay on and the events could take place over 4-6 days instead of 2-3?
They are already doing that with events #5 & 6 in Poland. The last of the 7 is in Italy which is hosting the GP & JGP Final.

Karen-W

That might work - but if that happens, then I would guess there will be some shuffling of dance teams assigned to both 4 & 7 (Neset/Markelov, Kudryavtseva/Karankevich) so that they aren't competing back-to-back twice over the course of 6 days.
They are already doing that with events #5 & 6 in Poland. The last of the 7 is in Italy.
Well, they are holding them in the same venue in consecutive weeks, which isn't quite the same as what @miffy is suggesting.

It might work if JGP #7 in Egna moved the dates of competition to run Wednesday through Friday, and then JGP #4 was held the following Tuesday through Thursday, but it would still be difficult for everyone involved.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
If they spread out the Yerevan entries among the remaining JGPs, that will disadvantage anyone who hasn't already competed twice with respect to JGPF qualification, with those who are yet to have their first JGP being worst off. I was looking forward to watching some skaters who would compete for the first time in Yerevan, so I'm miffed on behalf of my faves.

Coming up with a replacement event would be ideal, and there is enough time left before the GPF to hold it, so it doesn't have to happen within the original JGP timeframe, but it would be difficult and expensive to arrange, and many skaters who were planning to compete in Armenia may not be able to attend the new competition; after all, most of them are school students and their travel arrangements depend on the availability of adult chaperones and the academic calendar.

Whatever ISU decide needs to be announced quickly so that arrangements could be made. That's why I suspect they'll reallocate the Yerevan entries, which, as I said, sucks for my faves.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Karen-W

Armenian entries will be re-allocated to the remaining competitions.
I'm sad about this, but it did seem to be the most likely and viable solution to the problem of giving those skaters their chances to compete.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I'm sad about this, but it did seem to be the most likely and viable solution to the problem of giving those skaters their chances to compete.
I agree.

It’s better than nothing, but kind of sucks for all the contenders at the last 3 events. But at least they can have the experience of competing. I hope they can all get flights and/or visas in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information