ISU has cancelled 2021 Europeans, ISU Grand Prix Final, World Junior Synchro; Stockholm Worlds still on for now

olympic

Doing that doesn’t benefit Knierim/Frazier at all as they don’t have official ISU scores yet. So there is very little option besides a video review IMO - at least they’ve figured that out, too.

As there were around 36 entries for men/ladies last year, I think they want to ultimately keep it around that as much as they can rather than open the floodgates by lowering them.

The Challenge Cup in the Netherlands is typically always the last chance for people to hit minimums, and I’m sure it’s going to be a huge roster this year of European skaters trying to get an entry for their nation/themselves.
Dude. I realize the situation that K/F find themselves in. I had Zhou in my mind while typing my earlier post and I should have probably been clearer. I hope K/F find a way to get to Worlds

vesperholly

Doing that doesn’t benefit Knierim/Frazier at all as they don’t have official ISU scores yet. So there is very little option besides a video review IMO - at least they’ve figured that out, too.
Their scores from 2020 Skate America don't count, I take it?

Sylvia

TBD
Only 2020 Nebelhorn Trophy and Budapest Trophy count for ISU SB/PB scores this season: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/entries-results/statistics (scroll down to the links under "Season Best Total Scores 2020/21" and "Technical Score for the current & previous season" where TES minimums also are valid from 2020 Santa Claus Cup in Budapest, Winter Star in Minsk, NRW Autumn Trophy in Dortmund)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ladies' TES minimums for 2021 Worlds are 30 (SP) and 51 (FS). In scanning the current Senior Ladies minimums list, I noticed Kailani Craine (AUS), Isadora Williams (BRA), Eliska Brezinova (CZE), Ivett Toth (HUN), and Angelina Kuchvalska (LAT) all now lack the SP minimum TES and Alisson Krystle Perticheto (PHI), Anita Ostlund and Matilda Algotsson (who replaced her for SWE) the FS minimum TES that they had last season to be eligible for 2020 Worlds.

ETA:

Men's TES minimums for 2021 Worlds are 34 (SP) and 64 (FS) - after checking the 2020 Worlds entries, Peter James Hallam (GBR) is the only one and Vincent Zhou (USA) are the 2 who now lack a minimum score (FS) for Worlds.

Julia Lang is the only HUN lady with both Worlds minimums this season.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
No - only 2 countries with pairs entries and an all-USA judging panel. Same problem for Vincent.
Ladies' TES minimums for 2021 Worlds are 30 (SP) and 51 (FS). In scanning the current Senior Ladies minimums list, I noticed Kailani Craine (AUS), Isadora Williams (BRA), Eliska Brezinova (CZE), Ivett Toth (HUN), and Angelina Kuchvalska (LAT) all now lack the SP minimum TES and Alisson Krystle Perticheto (PHI), Anita Ostlund and Matilda Algotsson (who replaced her for SWE) the FS minimum TES that they had last season to be eligible for 2020 Worlds.

ETA:

Men's TES minimums for 2021 Worlds are 34 (SP) and 64 (FS) - after checking the 2020 Worlds entries, Peter James Hallam (GBR) is the only one who now lacks a minimum score (FS) for Worlds.
I thought Vincent was still lacking his FS minimum.

Discussion in the Canadian ladies thread is centering around Gabby Daleman for one of the spots and she lacks the SP min, IIRC.

Sure, both the US and Canada have enough depth with skaters/teams who have met the TES minimums but since the ISU still intends for this to be the main Olympic qualifier, then every country should be allowed to send their very best in order to maximize their chances at earning the most Olympic entries in each discipline. While I question Daleman's competitive mindset (similar to Gracie Gold had she placed high enough at US Nats), I can absolutely see why some of the Canadians think she is the best choice for the 2nd spot after Schizas because if Gabby hits or even does reasonably well, she's going to be in the mix for top 10, and if Canada wants to take the gamble on her then they should be allowed to do so. So, yes, I think there needs to be some sort of work around for the NA-based skaters who probably aren't going to want to go to Challenge Cup a month before Worlds to get their minimums given the challenges of international travel and the probable uncertainty of finding ice time in another country during the 2.5 weeks between Challenge Cup ending and Worlds beginning.

Sylvia

TBD
I thought Vincent was still lacking his FS minimum.
He is (I was focusing on the countries other than USA ;)) and I've now added Zhou to my post above.
Sure, both the US and Canada have enough depth with skaters/teams who have met the TES minimums but since the ISU still intends for this to be the main Olympic qualifier, then every country should be allowed to send their very best in order to maximize their chances at earning the most Olympic entries in each discipline. ... <snip> ...
So, yes, I think there needs to be some sort of work around for the NA-based skaters who probably aren't going to want to go to Challenge Cup a month before Worlds to get their minimums given the challenges of international travel and the probable uncertainty of finding ice time in another country during the 2.5 weeks between Challenge Cup ending and Worlds beginning.
I agree. I think you're also referring to this post in the other thread?
I don't think there should be any exceptions for minimum TES if Worlds goes ahead. Especially for countries with a large pool of skaters who do hold the minimum.
BTW, if an Admin. would like to close this (older) thread of mine so we all can post in the newer one on the same topic, I have no problem with it.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Us Figure Skating is saying it is leaving it to the athletes to decide whether they will attend Worlds so how can it be essential travel if it’s your own choice?
I don't see this as being relevant. It's like my job saying we have to send someone to X meeting but we won't make anyone go who doesn't want to. But once someone volunteers, they are traveling on business. USFS is going to name a team and that team will be traveling on behalf of USFS on official business.

skatfan

I don't see this as being relevant. It's like my job saying we have to send someone to X meeting but we won't make anyone go who doesn't want to. But once someone volunteers, they are traveling on business. USFS is going to name a team and that team will be traveling on behalf of USFS on official business.
Glad for your opinion. Will be interested if anyone knows the criteria.

Sylvia

TBD
There are new senior eligible skaters who do not have senior TES yet, such as Haein LEE of Korea.
Serious question: What do you think the chances are that Korea will send a (full?) team to Worlds when they haven't been able to hold any domestic competitions this season? Also, you posted this :( news in the Korean news thread yesterday:
KSU gave up participating in the worlds for speed and short track skating. They cited lack of preparedness and safety concerns.

ETA that this article seems optimistic?

Machine translation:

With the announcement of the confirmation of the summit of the Figure Skating World Championships, the domestic situation became busy.

The Korea Ice Skating Federation will hold domestic ranking and general championships in the near future to select representative athletes to compete in the world championships.

A federation official said, "This World Figure Skating Championship is an important event that may take the right to qualify for the Olympics."

The Korea Ice Skating Federation was unable to hold an ice rink due to the recent spread of the novel coronavirus infection (Corona 19) and the closure of the ice rink due to the 2.5 step adjustment of social distancing.

For this reason, the federation gave up participation in the world championships in speed skating and short track.

However, participation in the World Figure Skating Championships is a different story.

This is because Olympic qualifications are not required for speed skating and short track world championships, but each country has Olympic qualifications for the figure skating world championships.

It is not clear what standards the ISU will set new standards at the online committee [ISU Council meeting] on March 3, but first, the players who will compete in the World Championships must be selected.

An official said, "In order to select the national representative, the social distancing stage (in the metropolitan area) must be lowered to two stages."

Last edited:

Carolla5501

It was basically a glorifed small US Nationals
Glad for your opinion. Will be interested if anyone knows the criteria.
For most countries the criteria is you need to travel for business. They don't poll your employer on "did you give them a choice"

My partner works in the defense industry and becacuse they are esential they are still traveling. They have given employees a choice and if someone choses not to go someplace then another employee generally goes, but just becausae person A said no does not mean person B is not required to travel for work. Someone has to go.

So if skater A choses not to go and the first alternate gets to go instead I can't see that being an issue. No different really that if Skater A got injured just before Worlds and couldn't go then the first alternate gets on the plane.

seabm7

Serious question: What do you think the chances are that Korea will send a (full?) team to Worlds when they haven't been able to hold any domestic competitions this season?

ETA that this article seems optimistic?

Since the worlds determine the most of the Olympic tickets, KSU has to say what they are going to do about this sooner or later. The Korean government decided to keep Level 2.5 in the metropolitan area until February 14th. The government says they are going to access the situation on Feb. 7th and could change details on the social distancing rules.

In my opinion, what could happen is,

1) The Korean government eases the restriction level on February 15th. KSU holds the ranking competition on Feb. 19-21 and the national on Feb. 26-28, or just holds the national on Feb. 19-21.

2) The Korean government does not ease the level on February 15th. KSU either persuades the government to allow at least one competition in the metropolitan area, or decides to hold the competition(s) outside the metropolitan area.

What if neither 1) nor 2) is possible? If KSU has a will to send a team to the worlds, they may reuse last year's national results. This would need the approval by the board of directors of KSU.

ETD: Professional sports have been live without spectators this winter, and there have been no major problems from that side.

Last edited:

Marco

Everybody with access to a map, should be able to see that they (and New Zealand) are an isolated island in the middle of an ocean.

Besides the density of the population is not at all comparable.
Try Taiwan, Singapore and Macau. :)

Hotel quarantine may be a pain, but it is safer and more effective. For the inter-state or inter-country moves that people do everyday for work or school, many countries are considering bubbles with neighbouring states / countries with comparable 'Rona risk. Australia and NZ just announced they go back in the bubble together.

Miezekatze

Try Taiwan, Singapore and Macau. :)

Hotel quarantine may be a pain, but it is safer and more effective. For the inter-state or inter-country moves that people do everyday for work or school, many countries are considering bubbles with neighbouring states / countries with comparable 'Rona risk. Australia and NZ just announced they go back in the bubble together.

Taiwan and Singapore can track their population with technical means , regardless of what their population thinks about it.

How many people commute from other countries daily to Taiwan and Singapur for work in order to work for example in hospitals or care homes, productions plants, ...?

If let's say a the moment 95% of people who enter a country via a border do this daily for daily work and 5% are tourists or visit family or come for a sports event, ... how effective do you think hotel quarantining will be.

If Germany was to make a bubble with all countries where people commute daily it would be with Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Luxembourg and I probably forgot some. That would be like half of the EU and a country that isn't part of it and does what it wants anyway.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Taiwan and Singapore can track their population with technical means , regardless of what their population thinks about it.

How many people commute from other countries daily to Taiwan and Singapur for work in order to work for example in hospitals or care homes, productions plants, ...?

If let's say a the moment 95% of people who enter a country via a border do this daily for daily work and 5% are tourists or visit family or come for a sports event, ... how effective do you think hotel quarantining will be.

If Germany was to make a bubble with all countries where people commute daily it would be with Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Luxembourg and I probably forgot some. That would be like half of the EU and a country that isn't part of it and does what it wants anyway.
I believe Singapore has a pretty significant level of cross-border traffic with Malaysia.

You forgot Belgium. ;) But, your point is still effectively made even forgetting one country.

Really, Europe is not at all unlike the US in the sense that each country, even if they're part of the EU, are setting their own restrictions and implementing their own lockdowns, not at all dissimilar to the states in the US having final control over most public health policy that deals with this pan-demic. It's also not so easy to restrict intra-state travel or impose restrictions once people cross a state border which is why we saw a lot of regional cooperation in the early stages of this and why it has continued still.

Vagabond

How many people commute from other countries daily to ... Singapur for work in order to work for example in hospitals or care homes, productions plants, ...?
About a quarter of a million people cross the Malaysia-Singapore border every day.

If you want a more specific answer, Ecosia is your friend. :)

skategal

Bunny mama
About a quarter of a million people cross the Malaysia-Singapore border every day.

I've crossed the Malaysia-Singapore border before.

Let's just say they got the title of the article correct. :lol:

Marco

Yes. Hotel quarantine is not going to work for daily cross border travel - that needs bubbling. Bubbling needs co-operation with the other nation though - and so it is unlikely to happen unless both nations are on comparable (low level of) risk. [Singapore broke off its bubble with Hong Kong one day before it was supposed to launch after Hong Kong hit its 4th wave - when a US student returned to Hong Kong, infected her mother, who then in turn infected a bunch of teachers and students at her dance club, who each in turn infected a bunch of people, etc.]

So if Germany introduces hotel quarantine, it will be able to control infection from overseas but not community infection that is already happening in Germany. You are right tho that this sadly does not help the case of daily travel to and from Germany and its neighbouring countries. Take care @Miezekatze :)

seabm7

ETA:

Men's TES minimums for 2021 Worlds are 34 (SP) and 64 (FS) - after checking the 2020 Worlds entries, Peter James Hallam (GBR) is the only one and Vincent Zhou (USA) are the 2 who now lack a minimum score (FS) for Worlds.

Julia Lang is the only HUN lady with both Worlds minimums this season.

With the new ISU communication, all the skaters mentioned above now have the TES minimum. Donovan Carrillo of Mexico still misses the FS TES minimum. From Korea, both Haein LEE and Seoyeong WI can use their junior TES for the Worlds.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
With the new ISU communication, all the skaters mentioned above now have the TES minimum. Donovan Carrillo of Mexico still misses the FS TES minimum. From Korea, both Haein LEE and Seoyeong WI can use their junior TES for the Worlds.
Hopefully, Donovan Carrillo will be able to qualify via the virtual video option. Keep practicing...if you can in the usual training place in Leon, Mexico. :)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Canadians with World mins- age eligible and currently competing

Ladies- Schizas, Schumacher, Daleman, Mallet, Bausback, Pineault (taking season off)

Men- Sadovsky, Nguyen, Messing, Nadeau, Orzel, Toman, Phan, Gogolev, Rakic

Pairs- MTM, Walsh/Michaud, Matte/Ferland, Ruest/Wolfe

Dance (excluding juniors)- FB/S, Gilles/Poirier, Lajoie/Lagha, Soucisse/Firus, Fabbri/Ayer, Lanaghan/Razgulajevs, Sales/Wamsteeker

Colonel Green

I will say, one change that should stay the same after this is allowing junior events to count for senior TES minimums. If you manage to get the level of the senior TES minimum while in junior, there's no reason that shouldn't count, particularly when in the case of the free skates you'd be doing it with one less element.

Marco

I will say, one change that should stay the same after this is allowing junior events to count for senior TES minimums. If you manage to get the level of the senior TES minimum while in junior, there's no reason that shouldn't count, particularly when in the case of the free skates you'd be doing it with one less element.
With 30 less seconds in the free skates, the juniors only got to do 1 less element, which means they had less time to set up and execute per element than the seniors.

And the junior singles were not allowed to do quads / 3axels in the short so their technical ceiling was already limited and it's already harder to meet the TES min.

RoseRed

The only argument I could see is for the RD, since the patterns are different and the junior pattern would often be considered easier. But I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information