ISU has cancelled 2021 Europeans, ISU Grand Prix Final, World Junior Synchro; Stockholm Worlds still on for now

olympic

Masks, some distancing, relatively large audience (by 2020 standards) that was 100% compliant with the mask requirements. Here are some podium pics to give you an idea. Obviously Japan is in much better shape than the US and Russia.
I think any competent staff could enforce mask wearing inside an arena; check before entering and security patrol throughout the premises during the competition. Still think no audience while sad is safest

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I just hope they don't cancel Worlds again. I'm okay if they decide to hold it at the North Pole, just anywhere! No audience obviously as it'll be in the first half of 2021 (sounds like?).

sk8nlizard

So yesterday I had NBC on in the afternoon and was watching slalom skiing. This is an international event going on right outside Zagreb Croatia currently. Most everyone here on FSU has said they feel the travel to World’s, not the actual event is the most dangerous. How are these other Olympic sports handling it? There were at least 4 American women I saw yesterday, and I can’t imagine any of them, except maybe Mikaela Shiffrin have the money for a private jet. I am not denying the fact that skiing is outside and therefore inherently more safe. But when reading discussions everyone is talking about airplane travel. But other Olympic sports (ie not big $$$ makers) continue to happen. How are they doing it? Just something I was thinking about.

Seerek

From my knowledge, the ISU is still proceeding with the European short track (Gdansk, POL) and long track (Heerenveen, NED) Speed Skating Championships this month (albeit a week later than originally scheduled). That being said, we'll have to see which countries in fact show up, as continental championships of other sports haven't had close to full attendance.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
@sk8nlizard - I think the difference is that once everyone's in Europe, they can move in packs from one competition to the next and hopefully have more control over reducing potential exposure. I'm not sure what the alpine teams are doing, but for ski jumping they've used chartered flights to get to some venues like Nizhny-Tagil in Russia (expensive but I guess the FIS has enough $). It's harder with alpine admittedly since there are some going for the overall globe and so need to do both tech and speed events.

The Norwegian cross-country team did opt out of most events over travel concerns (basically sacrificing this season), but it's understandable they'd be the most concerned of any sport.

yurokis40

Worlds will be cancelled the isu doesn`t decide the swedish goverment decides, vaccine rollout has been pathetic so far, only one Country is vaccinating their country at an acceptable level Israel and they are still getting record infections. Sucks for us figure skating fans, its not Hockey, or Football that bring tons of money it is what it is. The grand final in 2021 or the olympics will be the next big competition.

BaileyCatts

If they can hold 2021 NCAA tournament, which takes place the same time as Worlds and has like 60+ different teams playing, then by gawd they better damn well hold Worlds. :p :p :p

(note intended sarcasam and smirk. and I hate basketball so dammit if they gonna have basketball they better damn well have skating). :p

MsZem

I see the sea
Move it where?

And while granting it is easier with no spectators, moving Worlds on short notice would be a huge logistical challenge.
Russia managed to host Worlds on very short notice in 2011, but I wouldn't send anyone there for another superspreading event.

China could do it if they wanted, or Japan.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Russia managed to host Worlds on very short notice in 2011, but I wouldn't send anyone there for another superspreading event.

China could do it if they wanted, or Japan.
Las Vegas could probably also handle it, assuming that Nationals comes off successfully in the bubble the same way Skate America did.

I'm not sure Japan is an option at the moment, at least not in the Tokyo region, due to increasing Covid numbers.

The only reason China would even be on the table is because they need to hold some sort of replacement test event since the GPF was cancelled. I think travel would be very difficult to and from China for most competitors.

Debbie S

I believe the U.S. still has travel restrictions from the EU and China, except for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. They obviously allowed pro athletes (tennis, golf) to come here so they might make an exception for figure skating too, or maybe not. But with YKW out of control here and expected to stay that way through March, who would want to come here?

Karen-W

The Orleans Arena only has one ice surface.
Oh, good point. I doubt they want to go to the trouble of transporting skaters to a practice rink in LV, though that could also be accomplished if they wanted.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's too bad that there's not an island somewhere, with complete Olympic level facilities for every sport, with quarantine facilities available for large crowds, etc.

I can't tell if I'm joking or not.
This has been suggested as a solution to the Olympics in general: invest and set everything up once somewhere, even if it's an island and the village is a series of cruise ships, and not have cities investing so much money.

Tinami Amori

This has been suggested as a solution to the Olympics in general: invest and set everything up once somewhere, even if it's an island and the village is a series of cruise ships, and not have cities investing so much money.
AFAIK many people go to Olympics not to just watch the sports, but to see the city/county it is held in, taste the food, etc., as a travel experience. Going to the same "island" or "olympic land" will get redundant for some people, they will stay home and watch it on TV.

I support moving WC to China as they seem to have the money and they are handling the situation well. China also needs to test their rink as well. But will ISU be able to handle that?
I think that's a great idea. And yet, China does not have simple entry visa procedures. But they are good with protection from ******, even for their pets. https://imgur.com/a/gtCkCol

Last edited:

Dobre

China didn't even invite the South Korean ladies to fill out their field at Cup of China. I don't see any reason to think anything has changed regarding China's view toward fighting the crud.

I think Sweden is already the equivalent of Las Vegas. If Worlds isn't happening in Sweden in March, I think it's a matter of when could Worlds be held, not where.

Last edited:

Karen-W

I still say Worlds will happen, most likely in May, and probably in Sweden but possibly elsewhere. What do the naysayers want to bet me? How about a donation to FSU to help pay for board costs? :D
I think you and Dobre are spot on in this guess. Late March is probably going to be a challenge but early-mid May should be doable. And I can't see Stockholm not doing their level best to host a slightly delayed event.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
AFAIK many people go to Olympics not to just watch the sports, but to see the city/county it is held in, taste the food, etc., as a travel experience. Going to the same "island" or "olympic land" will get redundant for some people, they will stay home and watch it on TV.
And people go back year after year to Disneyland. There's no reason why a dedicated space couldn't have attractions, great restaurants, fireworks, etc. People love manufactured and controlled experiences.

Some of the best Moroccan food I've ever had was at Epcot, the only thing worth it for me in the entire trip.

ETA: Not that I think this would happen. It's simply been posited as one of two options to make the cost (and security) palatable. The other was to only have three or four cities rotate the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information