ISU Congress & elections 2022

clairecloutier

According to this report, Jan Dijkema will step down as ISU President this year.

So there will be an election for a new President.

From the outside, anyhow, it appeared that Dijkema mostly stayed out of figure skating matters during his 6 years as President (at least publicly)? From appearances, he seemed to cede active management of the figure skating division to Alexander Lakernik, 1st Vice President, from Russia. (Things may have looked different behind the scenes, of course.)

According to this article, there are as yet no candidates for the President position, but no doubt some will emerge.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

It's reported today by the Russian news outlet MatchTV that the ISU Council has submitted a proposal to the larger ISU Congress to gradually raise the age minimum for senior-level figure skating to 17 years old.

This proposal was formed on the basis of data received from the ISU Medical Commission on this issue. The Council proposes to leave the senior entry age in all disciplines unchanged (from 15 years old) next season and start it from the 2023/24 season to 16 years old, and from the 2024/25 season to 17 years old. As in the current rules, the skater must reach the required age by July 1 of the current year.

“The ISU Board has concluded that the most necessary change in order to protect physical and mental health is to gradually increase the age limit from 15 to 17 years of age. This gradual roll-out will allow skaters to adapt to the new restrictions and avoid having skaters who have already competed at the senior level forced to return to juniors.

MatchTV reported in a separate article that the concept of raising the age minimum received wide support in an ISU survey of skaters and coaches:

More than 86% of the skaters and coaches who took part in the International Skating Union (ISU) Athletes' Commission survey on the age limit in figure skating were in favor of raising it. This is stated in the preliminary agenda of the ISU Congress, which was at the disposal of Match TV.

Assuming this proposal makes it into the final agenda for the ISU Congress, it would still need to be voted on and passed by the entire Congress during its planned meeting on June 6-10.

From what I have seen so far, proposals from the ISU Council are generally accepted and more likely to pass than proposals from individual countries.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Of course, if they raised the age next season to 16, and in two seasons to 17, all of the currently qualifying 15-year-olds would continue to qualify. Instead, they're letting in another year's worth of 15-year-olds, so a little sugar-coating on the pill.

zigzig

It's reported today by the Russian news outlet MatchTV that the ISU Council has submitted a proposal to the larger ISU Congress to gradually raise the age minimum for senior-level figure skating to 17 years old.

MatchTV reported in a separate article that the concept of raising the age minimum received wide support in an ISU survey of skaters and coaches:

Assuming this proposal makes it into the final agenda for the ISU Congress, it would still need to be voted on and passed by the entire Congress during its planned meeting on June 6-10.

From what I have seen so far, proposals from the ISU Council are generally accepted and more likely to pass than proposals from individual countries.
ugh that's terrible. I really hope it doesn't pass.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Fine by me. And, really, with the other news that's broken today, this is all but a done deal to pass.

screech

Of course, if they raised the age next season to 16, and in two seasons to 17, all of the currently qualifying 15-year-olds would continue to qualify. Instead, they're letting in another year's worth of 15-year-olds, so a little sugar-coating on the pill.
Even if they raised it to 17 right away, wouldn't all the currently competing under-aged seniors be grandfathered in?

Karen-W

Even if they raised it to 17 right away, wouldn't all the currently competing under-aged seniors be grandfathered in?
Depends on how the legislation is written. In years past when the age limit has been raised, certain athletes were grandfathered in as part of the actual legislation passed. They could absolutely raise it to 17 effective next season or make the transition less gradual - ie make it 17 for the 2023-24 season. We'll see if the current proposed legislation remains intact or if it is altered to take effect sooner.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I support a gradual transition because it's not just about current 15 & 16-year-olds but also kids in Juniors now who had specific plans for their careers that could be derailed and coaches who now have to adjust their training methods and advice. This gives everyone time to adjust.

Karen-W

That wasn't the reason they gave, but it is a good reason to delay by a year.
Or maybe they decide "eff it" and raise it immediately so they can stave off any further criticism of the quad-bots coming out of Russia.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Good-bye, Women's quadruple jumps. 👋

And anyone born on July 1, 2007, you have my sympathies. 🤗
Good-bye, Women's children's quadruple jumps in elite senior-level competition. Perhaps some of those doing them now as children might improve their technique if needed to perform them successfully as adults, and perhaps near-adults (17-year-olds) and adults (18+) will also learn in the same manner.

Last edited:

Vagabond

It's more like Bye for Now.

To quote The Terminator: I'll be back!
It might be many years, though. Consider how long the gap was between the first and second men to land a triple lutz in competition or the second and third women to land a triple axel.

Sylvia

TBD
From ISU Communication no. 2460 - Decisions of the Council (Feb. 24, 2022):

1. 2022 ISU Congress, Phuket, June 6-10, 2022
The Council reviewed the worldwide pandemic situation and the specific situation in Thailand. The current entry regulations and guidelines for Thailand allow the holding of the 2022 ISU Congress as planned at the Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, Phuket, Thailand from Monday, June 6, 2022 through Friday, June 10, 2022. Further information about the travel regulations, accommodation, and Congress program will be sent to ISU Members shortly.

skatingguy

decently
Ah, that's too bad if the ISU members can't go to Thailand - I feel so bad for them - one wonders why they couldn't have their meeting in a location a little closer to where the ISU is headquartered, and most of the members reside.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Ah, that's too bad if the ISU members can't go to Thailand - I feel so bad for them - one wonders why they couldn't have their meeting in a location a little closer to where the ISU is headquartered, and most of the members reside.
ISU members bid to host ISU Congress. There usually isn't that much competition to host them.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It is.

I was there at the beginning of July 2019.

Sweltering.
Me too! The ISU delegates can also cool off by enjoying these beaches:

skategal

Bunny mama
Attendees will be inside air conditioned conference halls most of the day.
Oh for sure.

They would die if they weren’t.

One of my friends from Atlantic Canada where it’s never hot almost collapsed at an outside event that we were at in July 2019 in Bangkok on a day the Thai considered “not that hot.”

The people from Finland didn’t look to good either. :shuffle:

I love Thailand and the Thai people but cultural differences regarding weather standards almost got us that day.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Thailand is a cheap place to visit that is close to the Asian countries with figure skating NGBs. It's close to Japan which is now a powerhouse in figure skating in the single events. It's close to Australian and New Zealand as well.

I don't see what the fuss is about.

Sylvia

TBD
Phil Hersh:

Excerpt:

While the Congress agenda will not be finalized and made public until the end of April, I have obtained copies of the agenda in its provisional form.

It includes proposals both to raise the minimum age for senior competitors and the maximum age for elected officials. The latter could be called the Alexander Lakernik rule. (More on that later.)

Other proposals are:

*An amalgamation of component score categories, from the current five to three.

*Having different judging panels for component scores and technical grade of execution.

*An expansion of the fields with competition format changes for the World Championships in an effort to increase participation of countries where the sport is in early development stages.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Hersh claims that the proposed new rule for factoring of PCS is "so complicated that even the world’s fastest computer might struggle to process it." Because he's a technological idiot.

The proposal is just to look back at last year's ISU events (exact comps are listed but it seems to be all of them) and figure out a factoring based on the highest PCS and highest TES that results in PCS being 50% of the score. Another way to say that: they will take the highest PCS from last season and factor it so it is the same as the highest TES score from last season. That will be the factor for the next season.

An Excel spreadsheet could do that.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
For the PCS, if they were to condense them down to Skating Skills (SS), Transitions (TR), and a new Presentation mark (PR?) which has all the bullet points from CO, PE and IN combined into one mark, I would be okay with that. But what they are doing is having SS, CO, and PR. So TR is dropped but Composition, the most squishy of the marks IMO, stays.

Maybe when I see the explanation, I will understand and agree but for right now, I am against this.

Last edited:

gkelly

For the PCS, if they were to condense them down to Skating Skills (SS), Transitions (TR), and a new Presentation mark (PR?) which has all the bullet points from CH, PE and IN combined into one mark, I would be okay with that. But what they are doing is having SS, CH and PR. So TE is dropped but Choreograph, the most squishy of the marks IMO, stays. Maybe when I see the explanation, I will understand and agree but for right now, I am against this.

What is TE? Did you mean to type TR?

(For that matter, the current name of the fourth component is Composition, abbreviated CO)

We'll have to see how the new SS, CO and PR will be defined.

Some aspects of Transitions already overlap with Skating Skills and Composition, so hopefully those will explicitly be included in new definitions of those components.

And as I've said before, if there are only 3 components, especially if the factors for each component will be raised both to achieve a higher total PCS ceiling and also to divide that total into 3 rather than 5 parts, then I would really like to see judges given the opportunity to discriminate each component down to a 0.1 rather than 0.25 level.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
What is TE? Did you mean to type TR?
I edited my post to use the correct abbreviations.

This makes the math teacher in me want to scream!
Maybe he has pledged not to do word problems once he graduated from HS. ;)

Seriously, all you do is find the highest TES and highest PCS and then divide TES by PCS. So if TES = 80 and PCS = 72, then the PCS factor is 1.1. (well, 1.1111111 out to infinity but I doubt they'll go that far.)

Now maybe they are going to take the highest TES and highest PCS at each comp, figure out the average highest TES and PCS and then divide that. Or divide each one and average all the factors. But the announcement that he quoted doesn't say that. It says what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information