ISU Cancels 2020 World Figure Skating Championships

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
My prediction: 2020 Worlds will be in October and it will be in Russia.
Well, concerning postponed Worlds..."Never change a winning team" would work I'd say...that is in case the entire Corona crisis is over by then...which is yet to be seen.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't know whether the link I posted earlier is accessible because of the no-no word in the headline. It was related to a story about a young American college student who was taking a year off to visit a number of countries overseas. When she departed, it looked like cases might be contained in Italy and the U.S. state department was not issuing strong directives against traveling outside the U.S. In any case, the young lady's first stop was northern Italy to work for a brief time as an au pair with a young family who have a toddler.

Now of course, the young American lady is stuck in northern Italy residing with this same family who obviously are strangers. The article has a video embedded with the young lady discussing her situation and how tense things are with the lockdown. The Italian couple have a family member who helps bring them food and supplies but they are under strict lockdown orders that are enforced. The family's toddler is sick, but the doctors said they can't help at the moment, so the family just has to do the best they can. The toddler hasn't been tested, so they don't know what's wrong with him exactly. Hopefully, it's just a mild cold or something he'll recover from. Meanwhile, the young American lady's parents are anxiously and fruitlessly hoping for help to get her back home.

Frankly, there are a number of Americans stuck in foreign countries who have no way of leaving for the indefinite future.

As much as I love figure skating, maybe we should take stock of our personal blessings and say some prayers and be creative in trying to keep our worries and anxieties at bay in the realization of what healthcare workers are facing everyday at hospitals around the world! I saw a young medical doctor in New York on PBS Newshour discussing what it's like to get up everyday and walk through empty NY streets to enter the hospital where the world he knew has been turned upside down. These workers are heroes and they are humans with families who have fears they may get sick with the lack of medical supplies and sufficient resources, including needed ventilators and protective masks! Let's be realistic about the severity of what's happening right now in Spain and in New York and in many other locations that are hard hit. Let's pray for all the healthcare workers and service providers who are on the front lines of this crisis.

Figure skating takes a back seat in a worldwide emergency of this magnitude. There are plenty of fs videos to watch and comforting music videos that have been posted by thoughtful musicians and regular people trying to come together in a spirit of unity to help uplift each other.

AnnM

Two weeks ago I was super sad about canceling my trip to Montreal. I had been planning for it over a year, and really felt it was necessary for my mental health. Today, I'm just hoping not to lose another friend to C***d because the one we lost was enough. Yesterday, my husband complained of a dry cough and my heart dropped instantly and I wanted to throw up. Thankfully he is feeling fine today and doesn't have a fever.

Well being of those I love > Pleasurable social activities in the near future. Perspective is everything.

Dobre

I just looked at the coronavirus map for Canada today. Quebec now has more cases than anywhere else in the country. (The number of cases tripled on Monday). And the last I remember hearing before Worlds was cancelled, there had been none.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
As much as I love figure skating, maybe we should take stock of our personal blessings and say some prayers and be creative in trying to keep our worries and anxieties at bay in the realization of what healthcare workers are facing everyday at hospitals around the world! I saw a young medical doctor in New York on PBS Newshour discussing what it's like to get up everyday and walk through empty NY streets to enter the hospital where the world he knew has been turned upside down. These workers are heroes and they are humans with families who have fears they may get sick with the lack of medical supplies and sufficient resources, including needed ventilators and protective masks! Let's be realistic about the severity of what's happening right now in Spain and in New York and in many other locations that are hard hit. Let's pray for all the healthcare workers and service providers who are on the front lines of this crisis.

Figure skating takes a back seat in a worldwide emergency of this magnitude. There are plenty of fs videos to watch and comforting music videos that have been posted by thoughtful musicians and regular people trying to come together in a spirit of unity to help uplift each other.

You do realise that it is perfectly possible to be fully aware of the severity of the situation and taking steps to protect yourself and others while also being disappointed that Worlds was cancelled and discussing the possible ways it could be handled, right? :rolleyes:

Being disappointed about Worlds, and wanting to discuss the alternatives, is perfectly valid. It does not mean the people doing the discussing are discounting the seriousness of this global issue. So you can save the sanctimonious, pretentious lecture.

Frankly, I think they're idiots if they go for the October Worlds. Let one season and one season only be effected, don't screw up the next season as well. Call it cancelled, figure out a way to dole out GP slots based on SB or WR or something, and then next season goes on as normal. Screwing up a second season is just unnecessary, short-sighted and stupid.

skatingguy

decently
I just looked at the ******** map for Canada today. Quebec now has more cases than anywhere else in the country. (The number of cases tripled on Monday). And the last I remember hearing before Worlds was cancelled, there had been none.
Quebec's case count has jumped more than other areas of the country because they are reporting potential cases in the total rather than just confirmed cases, and then when the testing is complete they will adjust the numbers appropriately.

aftershocks

Banned Member
@misskarne, You can take it that I was lecturing. I was not. You come off more as someone lecturing and being unnecessarily divisive, for whatever reason.

No one should feel bad about whatever feelings and emotions they are experiencing in these uncertain times, as I already said in an earlier post. In my previous post I was sharing how the news I've been seeing is striking me. You can continue being negative, as you choose. I didn't say anything in my previous post about anyone not having the right to discuss how 2020 Worlds might take place. I simply indicated that figure skating, like any number of pleasurable pursuits and activities we are used to, at the moment, takes a back seat to the importance of dealing with and getting through the current crisis.

As far as whether or not 2020 Worlds will be held, none of us know for sure. I believe the ISU was at least trying to give fans and skaters some reason to hope, at the time of the cancellation. Going forward, their initial suggestion obviously might change, as such plans to possibly hold 2020 Worlds in October of this year don't seem feasible. But we don't know one way or the other at the moment what's going to happen across a number of sports, activities, and industries on either a macro or a micro scale.

Last edited:

Japanfan

As far as whether or not 2020 Worlds will be held, none of us know for sure. I believe the ISU was at least trying to give fans and skaters some reason to hope, at the time of the cancellation. Going forward, their initial suggestion obviously might change, as such plans to possibly hold 2020 Worlds in October of this year don't seem feasible. But we don't know one way or the other at the moment what's going to happen across a number of sports, activities, and industries on either a macro or a micro scale.

I just don't see how a 2020 Worlds would work. It would really be hard for skaters to get in the mindset of a fall worlds, when they are used to preparing programs for the next season in the summer after Worlds. Also, many/most skaters aren't able to train on ice right now. And, skaters would have to peak twice in a year. The demands of that on their bodies would be huge and costly. And SFAIK there are no training strategies in place to prepare skaters for two peaks in a 7 month period - even if skaters were able to train.

All I'm hoping for is that the fall season will proceed according to schedule. Some have speculated that the virus might not do well in the heat (I'm not on top of that story) but there could be a second wave. If it hits in the fall, the fall season would not proceed.

This thing could throw sports and television schedules, among other schedules, off for a full year. :(

barbarafan

I just looked at the ******** map for Canada today. Quebec now has more cases than anywhere else in the country. (The number of cases tripled on Monday). And the last I remember hearing before Worlds was cancelled, there had been none.
First death was on March 9th. At the same time the #of cases went from 3 to 7 in just over 24hrs. A meeting was called...we know the result.
The number jumped this week as a local test was done which initiated a test going to a national lab before. Now they are being called confirmed from the hospital laboratory test so it went from 221 in Quebec to 1339 at 6:00pm yesterday.

I went to my regular grocery last night for a few things to be met with latest measures. AT entrance turnstyle I was met with 2 persons. One was an employee who instructed me to sanitize hands from a dispenser newly installed while the employee doused my carriage with a huge bottle of sanitzer and he rubbed front part down. Then when approaching the cash the lineups had big circles to stand on 6ft apart. Everyone was respecting all the rules. The guard was there to enforce the procedures and the employee said that any store not following these rules would be shut down by police.

VGThuy

I laugh everytime I read that the « ISU has cancelled Worlds ». They chickened out and waited for the government to cancel it.

Another way of looking at it is that they did the smart thing by doing that as they probably would not get the insurance money to cover the losses if they canceled on their own. Maybe they could have by arguing they were being proactive with the looming threat, but it’s much easier when the government shuts it down for you.

Tinami Amori

There are both, pluses and minuses, in trying to reschedule the Worlds. Let ISU evaluate and decide...

aftershocks

Banned Member
Right now, it actually feels like some horrible horror movie happening in real life. :(

But at least some of us have a bit of time available to try and think of pleasurable pursuits like figure skating, and remain hopeful and if we can, rally to help uplift each other's spirits. Thanks to those who are trying in their own individual ways right here on FSU and in the skating community. Prayers to all the first responders and healthcare heroes. :saint:

Last edited:

starrynight

If some countries successfully get BB under control I expect they will keep borders closed for a long while. Too much of a risk of reintroducing infection from other places. That will be what will put international style sporting events on hold for a while I think. Mandatory quarantine is going to be a fact of life when travelling internationally.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
If some countries successfully get BB under control I expect they will keep borders closed for a long while. Too much of a risk of reintroducing infection from other places. That will be what will put international style sporting events on hold for a while I think. Mandatory quarantine is going to be a fact of life when travelling internationally.
China has closed its borders to anyone entering because all the new cases were coming from people entering the country.

starrynight

A figure skating forum when there’s no figure skating is a bit sad isn’t it? :(

Given closed borders all over the world and strict enforced quarantine on any travellers, it seems like it will be a life time until any kind of international competition can be held with foreign skaters and an audience.

Yuri

So much to which to respond, but I will try to respect that this isn't the PI Forum...

If the ISU (yes, I wish I could edit the thread title as to WHO canceled Worlds LOL) does reschedule Worlds for October in Montreal, I will make every effort to attend. Sucking up to the Canadians on FSU, there is nothing like attending an international figure skating competition there (my 1st Worlds was Edmonton 1996 and later I attended Skate Canada near Toronto) so I would support a fall Worlds in Montreal.

It goes without saying that it's possible to grieve for those directly involved in the skating community while simultaneously being concerned for those facing high risks. Members of my immediate family have been involved for four decades at the national and international level in skating as competitors, coaches, choreographers, and officials, plus as plain old fans, so we can commiserate with those who are still in the sport and are directly impacted by he cancellation or postponement of Worlds.

As someone who has lived long enough to see multiple End of the World predictions of Malthusians proved wrong due to wrong, irresponsibly fear-mongering models that benefit certain people politically and financially, I am skeptical of Chicken Little predictions. There's a dangerous Boy Who Cried Wolf dynamic, like when folks evacuate for hurricanes that are over hyped, such that people may not believe the messenger in a real crisis. The cure can be worse than the disease, things need to be kept in perspective compared to history, and those who advocate for trade-offs shouldn't be silenced of freedom of speech via social media shaming.

Figure skating will continue and most competitors have a very narrow window of time to excel at the World level, whether they are contenders for the podium or qualified to compete in a once in a lifetime opportunity. Of course wars and political boycotts have denied some opportunities at Worlds and the Olympics, but I will never be ashamed to empathize for athletes denied a chance to shine due to world events beyond their control.

Last edited:

VGThuy

As a survivor of two major hurricanes, one devastating my home city and its residents (people suffering and dying) to the point where we still haven't fully recovered and one that followed me to the East Coast that caused an incredible amount of harm to people in the area, well...I'm glad people take things seriously.

I also still don't understand where any of this is coming from. I don't care if they do Worlds in October, and I think the skaters' opinions matter the most here. I just think temporarily shutting certain things down AND cutting one's losses if rescheduling is impossible isn't the worst thing in the world. Like you said, keep it in perspective compared to history...which to me sounds like saying "your losses and tragedies don't matter so suck it up and move on".

As for freedom of speech, part of the marketplace of ideas is the consumer aspect of that marketplace and seeing if anybody is buying what you're saying. If some are not and if some of it is via social media shaming...well, that's also part of free speech too since response is free speech. Now, if some attempts of shaming are ridiculous, they can easily be ignored OR people will join you in telling that person off. If others agree with them, then maybe it's something you said.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't get the people who keep saying "we don't know if it's going to be bad." It's already f'king bad. Now. Today.

All the predictions are coming true and some people keep acting like everything is fine and people saying it's going to be bad if you don't do something are "chicken little" and the "boy who cried wolf". They aren't crying wolf if what they are saying is true.

Dobre

People were a couple days ago here, but now the docks on state land have been closed . . . Someone else asked about docks on federal land & she did not know).

Just updating this previous post as I just read today that boatramps on federal land are also being closed.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I have a relative trying to get back to Japan because he lives and goes to school there and was only here for a visit. Has a return ticket, but is still having trouble finding out about go ahead to travel back. And once he arrives back, there are understandably huge restrictions regarding re-entry, including not being able to get home by public transportation and having to be quarantined and then closely monitored. There are lots and lots of stories and experiences everyone are going through surrounding this crisis.

Oh sorry, I'm posting this in the wrong thread... But Japan is a huge figure skating country, so there is a kinda connection. :shuffle:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
most competitors have a very narrow window of time to excel at the World level, whether they are contenders for the podium or qualified to compete in a once in a lifetime opportunity. Of course wars and political boycotts have denied some opportunities at Worlds and the Olympics, but I will never be ashamed to empathize for athletes denied a chance to shine due to world events beyond their control.

Many people are denied opportunities to do something that might have changed their life or career. It's life. I empathize with them too, but athletes aren't unique in experiencing disappointment. And letting them have that one chance shouldn't be at the expense of exposing many other people to a potentially deadly v*r*s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information