ISU Cancels 2020 World Figure Skating Championships

mjb52

It's so sad and hard. I was in the bargaining stage of "maybe they'll still do it but without spectators." I know it's the right decision but when you think of the skaters that may have a hard time making it back next year, it's just rough for them. And such an anti-climactic end to the season for everyone after all that training and competition. I hope they are all getting a lot of support from their coaches and people in their lives.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I'm stunned that they're not even trying to postpone, but simply outright canceling the event.

When would they postpone til? The virus hasn't really begun yet in Canada and looking at the curve for countries well into the spread they couldn't really hold Worlds til at least July. Skater´s would be well into next seasons preparations by then, not still training this seasons programs.

clairecloutier

Official statement from the ISU: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...-championships-2020-montreal?templateParam=15

They say a rescheduling is possible and not ruled out, as of yet. However, the earliest date it would be rescheduled would be October 2020--which would obviously conflict with the new season. So who knows what will happen.

Relevant excerpt:

During the coming weeks, the ISU will evaluate in cooperation with all stakeholders whether the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 could possibly be held later in the year, but in any case not before October 2020. Before taking a final decision, the ISU will remain in close contact with Skate Canada and ISU Members.

BaileyCatts

Selfishly I had hoped they still have it, just closed to spectators if necessary so at least we still have Worlds, but I get it. :cry: (although if they go ahead with NCAA, NBA, NHL games just no fans, then I'll be kinda pissed 😒 ). But those poor skaters who this was likely their only opportunity to even make a Worlds, maybe their only shot at a medal or World Champion title, one less "X-time World Champion" behind their name for the record books, skaters who won't be able to hold on to that momentum they were building, and geez the Russian Trio .. they might not even make the Team next year. Sucks all the way around. :cry:

I hope everyone can recoup their costs for tickets, flights, hotels. I feel bad for you guys as well. :cry:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Official statement from the ISU: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...-championships-2020-montreal?templateParam=15

They say a rescheduling is possible and not ruled out, as of yet. However, the earliest date it would be rescheduled would be October 2020--which would obviously conflict with the new season. So who knows what will happen.

That's a nonsense, how can the skaters prepare for the new season and also keep their old programs going?
Do a Challenger with one set of programs and the next week Worlds with the old programs?
They would be exhausted and both sets of programs would suffer!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Note that the same comment about potential postponement was made about the speed skating worlds in Seoul. Just to keep some options open, I think.

Bellanca

It is a blow to the athletes, but the buzz of cancellation/postponement has been out there. Many probably felt this coming which doesn't make it any easier at all. :( Awful. Feel so bad for everyone.

ETA: World's cancelled. Here's an article (one of many popping up) My apologies if it has already been linked.

Last edited:

zigzig

Sorry to be selfish but does anyone have an idea of what the path to ticket refunds might look like? I’m assuming the event organizers will reach out individually but given the $hit-$how that the purchase and delivery process was I’m not sure I should be holding my breath.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
It’s sad but the reality of what we live in at the moment. I don’t think it should be postponed until October. And then do another worlds just five months after that?

And then these athletes have to stay in tiptop condition still for the next half year with no downtime? I think just Move on.

And also put on Wikipedia that Bradie Tennell is the 2020 world silver medalist!

clairecloutier

That's a nonsense, how can the skaters prepare for the new season and also keep their old programs going?
Do a Challenger with one set of programs and the next week Worlds with the old programs?
They would be exhausted and both sets of programs would suffer!

@taz'smum I agree, it's hard to see how this scenario could work at all. (Especially for the ice dancers, who rarely keep free programs from one season to the next, and actually can't keep the RD!)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
It’s a shame Worlds was not scheduled for just a week or two earlier this season… I always thought end of March / beginning of April is too late for worlds anyway. It’s not even winter anymore

At least junior worlds got off the ground last week

I always thought was strange that Japan and Russia would have their Nationals in December when worlds is still 3/4 months away. Too much can happen between that time with athletes.

Always seems strange to me to start the process of fielding your world team three months before worlds but that’s just me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information